Storm Cell Rips through South

On Wednesday & Thursday (4/27 - 4/28), a large storm cell produced several tornadoes, which ripped through six southern states (US). The death toll is reaching 300, the bulk of it from Alabama (estimate: ~204-207). My thoughts are with those who were affected by this event.

Source: CNN ,Washington Post , & MSNBC

How one can help: Link

8-10 deaths here. I was lucky because we still have power and our house was barely damaged, but a lot of places are shut off/down. Some places will have no power for a few days. =[ We had like five tornadoes in all I think.

Mississippi was battered but not as badly as Alabama. We may not know for some days how many were actually killed.

F3 and F4 sized tornadoes hit several relatively large towns in Alabama at rush hour.

It was a horrible slaughter. It was the worse casualties since the Tupelo-Gainesville outbreaks in 1936 (454 killed, thousands injured).

The April 27 tornadoes rank with some of the deadliest tornadoes in US history.

I have family in the area... freaked out a bit when no one answered their phones... then my parents finally called me back... "Why did you blow up our phones?" - Mom.... "Ummm tornadoes?" - Me..... "Oh... they were one town over, we're fine." - Mom. As if it wasn't a big deal... one town over is like a 15 minute drive... these tornadoe wouldn't even notice the difference... I went and looked up youtube videos for my parents area and there were people out and about like nothing was going on with the tornado sirens going off....

Just heard from Ringgold which is south from here. I have a few friends there, I didn't realize how bad it was until the newspaper said "Ringgold Survivors". I'm really fortunate because the worst that happened to our house was a broken window and some water.

It's a rare condition in the jet stream that creates a great amount of wind-shear in the upper atmosphere that sets up super-outbreaks.

There hasn't been one like we had Wednesday since the mid-thirties. Quite a lot of scientific data was gathered.