Dear Ms. Manners:

I have a delicate situation at work that I would like some advice about.

We are reimbursed for expenses as long as they are reasonable and justified.

I have gotten paid several times for out of pocket expenses per office policy.

Today I found out that my last expense check bounced.

This is obviously an oversight on the part of our office manager.

I would hate to embarrass her in front of the owner.

How best to handle the situation?

I was thinking of having a quiet word with the office manager without dragging anyone else in on what is obviously a simple accounting mistake.

This way we get it resolved, the office manager doesn't lose face and she owes me one.

Is my thinking sound?

-Befuddled

Dear Ms. Manners:

I have a delicate situation at work that I would like some advice about.

We are reimbursed for expenses as long as they are reasonable and justified.

I have gotten paid several times for out of pocket expenses per office policy.

Today I found out that my last expense check bounced.

This is obviously an oversight on the part of our office manager.

I would hate to embarrass her in front of the owner.

I was thinking of having a quiet word with the office manager without dragging anyone else in on what is obviously a simple accounting mistake.

This way we get it resolved, the office manager doesn't lose face and she owes me one.

Is my thinking sound?

-Befuddled

Dear Befuddled,

Your solution is sensitive and professional, and seeks to solve the problem at the lowest possible level. I suggest a script like: "Margaret, I tried to cash my expense check the other day, and it didn't clear the bank. Have you had any difficulties with the bank recently?" This gives her an opportunity to blame somebody else (maybe it is the bank's fault, after all). Follow up with, "Do you think I should try to cash the check again, or could you reimburse me out of petty cash?" If the situation isn't rectified, politely and professionally bring up the matter with another person in the office. I suggest your immediate superior, since so many employers are quite keen on following the chain of command.

It's always best in an office environment to give coworkers the benefit of the doubt, until it's time to drag them out the door by the scruff of the neck and wail the tar out of them. If, as you suspect, it's an honest mistake, you've made no waves.

MM

Another approach is to let her totally off the hook by blaming the bank. "I'm sure you had it taken care of, but they're so slow with deposits sometimes."

Either way, your suggested approach is spot on. You make a friend in the process.

Unless she's pilfering money from the company, in which case you'll ultimately get reamed for not bringing it up. There's no winning sometimes.

This is cool. we should have a regular advice thread for those sticky situations that everyone inevitably steps in.

Everybody can ask or answer.

James, I think you may have just started one.

Is my thinking sound?

-Befuddled

I think thats a good plan, cause if you get all annoyed at her you might get fired be in the shits with your work