Michael Irvin and gay professional athletes

I must admit, I wouldn't have expected it out of a Dallas Cowboys player, but let's have a hand for Michael Irvin, who has announced (in Out Magazine, with a shirtless cover) his full support for marriage equality...

With all of the discussion about gay athletes and a few coming out (John Amaechi, an NBA player), this article in Out Magazine (read the article here) shows that there is change coming in the NFL, and that is good news. Sports teams and figures are joining the "It Gets Better" campaign, including the San Francisco Giants, Chicago Cubs, and Boston Red Sox. Things are getting better little by little.

Colin B)

With all of the discussion about gay athletes and a few coming out (John Amaechi, an NBA player), this article in Out Magazine (read the article here) shows that there is change coming in the NFL, and that is good news. Sports teams and figures are joining the "It Gets Better" campaign, including the San Francisco Giants, Chicago Cubs, and Boston Red Sox. Things are getting better little by little.

Colin B)

I agree, things are getting better. But just because the team's management is getting behind the whole thing doesn't change the attitude of just about every locker room in sports on all levels. Which is very homophobic.

I must admit, I wouldn't have expected it out of a Dallas Cowboys player, but let's have a hand for Michael Irvin, who has announced (in Out Magazine, with a shirtless cover) his full support for marriage equality...

Who is he kidding? It is only a matter of time until Troy Aikman comes out.....

Sports teams and figures are joining the "It Gets Better" campaign, ... ..., and Boston Red Sox. Things are getting better little by little.

I swear Red Sox is seeking a soft spot in my heart. LOL :2thumbs:

Seriously tho, yeah, it's getting better and better.

Who is he kidding? It is only a matter of time until Troy Aikman comes out.....

I swear to god, he's like the Luthor Vandross of sports. He should be all, "I won three Super Bowls. And I'm gay. Suck it."

Lets hear a round of applause for Mr. Irvin. I really dont wanna jinks it but I think that were getting close to seeing an openly gay athlete thats currently playing im sure there are plenty gay athletes in the professional leagues and olympic standings, but yeah.

Posted Image

He's so sweet. I'm still not a Dallas Cowboy fan though.. lol. But this is definitely a nice article and he had the bravery to do it, which is nice. It shows that people can speak their mind, maybe others will follow. :)

My whole hearted thanks to and, yes, a round of applause for Mr. Irvin. Bravo!! :2thumbs:

As an aside, I wonder how long it took the magazine people to convince Mr. Irvin to wear those shoulder pads. They look more like something a Roman centurian would wear in some Ben Hur movie. I guess they didn't want to cover up those fine pecs! :great: