For Those Still Taking Math Courses or using Math

• Site Administrator

Microsoft has a great (FREE!) Math program that does a whole hell of a lot. This would have made homework so much easier had it been around when I was taking math courses.

Even so, very handy for running calculations and solving things.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/teachers/guides/Pages/Mathematics-guide.aspx

• Like 3

Microsoft has a great (FREE!) Math program that does a whole hell of a lot. This would have made homework so much easier had it been around when I was taking math courses.

Even so, very handy for running calculations and solving things.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/teachers/guides/Pages/Mathematics-guide.aspx

Thanks for the reference, Myr. I set it up for my sisters on their PCs (one will be a freshman and the other a senior in high school in the fall). They both are excited to have this as a study tool.

Colin B)

• Site Administrator

I'm happy to help. I saw it and figured it would be handy for anyone having anything to do with math.

Thanks Myr!

It's good to see that Microsquash is broadening their horizons. I also have some programs I want to share :)

Mathematica/Matlab/Maple (M/M/M [no not a threesome!]) also distribute reduced student editions as long as they have a valid .edu email. If you are a dirty little devil... there are fully activated pirated versions available via torrent.

Nearly all universities of at least one (if not 2 or 3) of these programs on their computers. My CC has Maple/matlab, my college has mathematica/maple.

• Matlab is really for science and engineering students who deal with a crap-load of values... learning the syntax in this beast will also help you to learn C++.
  • Mathematica is more general use and is extremely powerful... the syntax is apparently strange to other people... but I learned Mathematica syntax first... so I don't know what they are talking about... the syntax the easiest one I've used :P This is my favorite.
  • Maple is what I use when I'm doing homework... i mainly use the tutoring system... which provides step-by-step solutions of differentiation, integration, and a slew of other tutoring systems. These systems can provide "hints" when I'm doing homework. Myr's link has this too... but I didn't see an integration/differentiation button o.o
For a calculator... I recommend the TI-89. The ti-89 will take you all the way through graduate school as an applied physics major.

There are however completely free things that are still used regardless of whether or not you have these programs.

Wolfram Alpha is a free google-like service that has no syntax. It basically allows you to say stuff like solve 3x^2+2x=9 and it will solve it for you... WITH steps shown if you toggle them... while some of the more complex parts of the steps will require interpretation... (for example, in the above link, when you look at the step-by-step problems, you'll be wondering why you add 1/9 to both sides unless you know that you are completing the square). Other examples include differentiate (2x^2)/5+Log(x) and integrate 1/x+sqrt(x^2+4). It also does stuff like molecular weight alanine. Best thing is... you don't have to download/install anything!

Sage is sort of new... and is an unholy orgy of M/M/M... except is is free. I haven't used it extensively, but one of my math professors has wet dreams about the program.

I hope this helps someone! :)

Also, the following is a list of a really good freeware alternatives!

Gimp replaces Photoshop

Blender replaces 3D Studio

Open Office/Libre Office replaces Microsoft Office

Ubuntu replaces Windows/Mac operating systems

7-zip replaces the Winrar/Winzip

Mozilla Thunderbird for Microsoft Outlook

Inkscape for Abobe Illustrator

Also, Autodesk is offering FREE software of AutoCAD, 3D Studio, Maya and so on as long as you have a valid .edu email :)

This is the stuff that engineers/interior designers/architects/very gay men/electricians use.

Edited by Cerest
  • 3 months later...