Any one celebrating Titanic 100th anniversary?

hh5

rod-stewart-hopes-to-be-sailing-with-titanic

He has left it a bit late, but Rod Stewart is reported to be looking to sail on a memorial cruise to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic next year.

The singer hopes to travel on Fred Olsen's Balmoral, which has beenchartered for a 12-night voyagefrom Southampton to New York next April - but it has been booked solid for months, and there's a waitlist as long as a yardarm

Today in Naval History: Nov. 15, 1942

In August 1942 the United States launched its first offensive of the Pacific war. Dubbed Operation Watchtower by CINCPAC, everybody else called it Operation Shoestring. The target was an island no one had ever heard of in a chain of islands that no one had ever heard of. Soon- everyone would hear about it.

The island was named Guadalcanal in the Solomons island chain. It was so miserable a place that Jack London wrote The Solomons were so wretched that I wouldn't have the heart to exile my worst enemy there. The island had four things in great abundance: hot, humid tropical weather, mosquitoes, malaria and head-hunting natives.

The Marines of the 1st Division landed on Guadalcanal in early August touching off an all out air, land and sea campaign by the United States and Japan to control the island- the only island in a thousand miles in either direction large enough for airfields capable of handling heavy bombers.

There were no fewer than a dozen surface battles in the general area of Guadalcanal over the next year. The battle that decided the fate of the Solomons was the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal which took place between Nov. 13 to 15, 1942. Both sides threw everything they had into the battle. The US lost two light cruisers: Atlanta, Juneau and several destroyers in a wild melee on the night of the 13th. The big guns of the battleships USS Washington and South Dakota decided the issue on the 15th. The Japanese lost the battleships Hiei on the 14 and Kirishima on the 15th.

Posted Image

USS Atlanta was the flagship of Admirals Norman Scott and Ray Callahan. Both were killed on the night of the 13th and Atlanta was to badly damaged to save. She sank the next day.

Posted Image

Juneau was an Atlanta class light cruiser that was also badly damaged on the night of the 13th. She was lost with only 10 survivors to a submarine as she tried to limp away for repairs.

Posted Image

The famous Sullivan brothers were lost when the Juneau went down. (see the Sullivan Brothers)

This one incident changed the navy's policy of posting brothers together on a single ship.

Posted Image

The Japanese battleship Hiei was shot up in the battle and caught and sunk by aircraft the next day.

Posted Image

On the night of the 15, the USS Washington(above) and South Dakota(below) tore into the Japanese with radar directed gunfire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kirishima was the victim of the wrath of the American battleships.

Casualties were heavy for both sides. The US Navy lost 1,732 killed in the battle. Japanese losses were ~1900 (Army losses were not included when transports were sunk).

The battle was decisive. The Japanese made no further attempts at a large scale counter-invasion of Guadalcanal. For months they attempted to resupply the troops already ashore. Imperial Headquarters ordered the island evacuated effectively ending the campaign for Guadalcanal in mid-1943.

See: http://en.wikipedia...._of_Guadalcanal

• 2 weeks later...

Found a model sinking of Titanic

Now where's jack ... save him ... savik

New Sinking theory - Cameron needs to update his movie - lol

The sinking in Reverse

yer not the only one who'd like to "sink into Jack" Jamessavik, Leo was a hotty, especally in that story... it's quite possible that Rose had Jacks baby but then who knows she and the movie never say... in fact all those pictures of her make her look NOT pregnant after Titanic... >_< as in she never had a kid... and we know she did, as her granddaughter was with her. BUT she had plenty of time she was only 16 or so when the ship sank... and over 100 when she sank the Heart of the Ocean....

*tries to figure out what the mandate is now for ships instead of real wood* plastic wood which burns faster and more disasterously ...? The problem with having boats lower on the ship, it makes the ship less sea worthy, i have seen modern Ocean liners and have thought repeadtly 1 tsunami would take them down, they're top heavy clunkers... which is something i can not see a tsunami doing to ships even as late as the QE2. Another problem is lower to the water, faster it'll be underwater in the case of say a Andrea Doria Senario, and still leaving the top ones unable to move off the ship...

cool tribute though Posted Image

what youve seen are cruise ships, not ocean liners

there is in fact only one ocean liner currently in service, the QM2, which i was on for a 7 day atlantic crossing just over a week ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_liner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QM2

Posted Image

yer not the only one who'd like to "sink into Jack" Jamessavik, Leo was a hotty, especally in that story... it's quite possible that Rose had Jacks baby but then who knows she and the movie never say... in fact all those pictures of her make her look NOT pregnant after Titanic... >_< as in she never had a kid... and we know she did, as her granddaughter was with her. BUT she had plenty of time she was only 16 or so when the ship sank... and over 100 when she sank the Heart of the Ocean....

she look a lot old than 16 ... more like 22 lol ... like forget college ... go have fun for Jack!!

Wow - QE2 continued after the adventure just after QE ... but isn't it now a floating hotel\museum in Dubai?

the QE2 is currently in Dubai being worked on

however that picture is of the QM2, the replacement for the QE2

Yeah i thought the Queen Elizabeth 2 was still in service...if barely, It's too bad they destroyed the Norway...You sure there are no other ocean liners still in service floating around as cruise ships. I know there were quite a few still floating around in the early 2000's and late 90s.

To hh5's statement in the movie she was discribed at 17 or something i thought (recently re-watched the movie) and the bearded guy as going off of Rose De Whatever dieing on the Titanic at age 17 or so which would make her in the 90's (when movie takes place not just came out) over 100 years old.... So she's a really old god damn Lier XD

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i thought the Queen Elizabeth 2 was still in service...if barely, It's too bad they destroyed the Norway...You sure there are no other ocean liners still in service floating around as cruise ships. I know there were quite a few still floating around in the early 2000's and late 90s.

To hh5's statement in the movie she was discribed at 17 or something i thought (recently re-watched the movie) and the bearded guy as going off of Rose De Whatever dieing on the Titanic at age 17 or so which would make her in the 90's (when movie takes place not just came out) over 100 years old.... So she's a really old god damn Lier XD

I thought the movie took place in 1984? so 22 plus 72 years makes 94 yo

lol ... win a trip to IRELAND http://www.titanicattraction.com/ireland/index.php

Titanic Museum Attractions' BACK TO TITANIC "100th Year 'Tour Ireland' Sweepstakes" ends at 11:59pm CST on February 1, 2012.

I thought the movie took place in 1984? so 22 plus 72 years makes 94 yo

lol ... win a trip to IRELAND http://www.titanicat...eland/index.php

Titanic Museum Attractions' BACK TO TITANIC "100th Year 'Tour Ireland' Sweepstakes" ends at 11:59pm CST on February 1, 2012.

Since it actually say's how old she was in the movie.... both when she was on the Titanic and just before she shows up to tell her story, the only thing that is in question is the date of when she "Came out" as Rose.... you should watch the movie again ^_^

according to a doco ... it was a mistake to lift water tight door lock #5 which they were unable to close it ... thus make the sinking worst ... the engineers never tested the ship to have so much water inside her ... its like getting fat n watching your buttons fly off your pants n shirt ... this new revelation ... surely would make cameron redo his version of how it sank ... now that tech has caught up ... camerion can do a george lucas remake of titanic

but then it changes the movie action took place but then what science believes happen can be far fetch to how it really happen but hey its rose word against the scientists

but i prefer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7D_dSFzyoc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cool, is Jack in this one? lol

speaking of that, i once wrote a story in middle school about the titanic...and am writing on a new version now...ish.

Watched a new doco on Titanic ... there was two diff things for the sinking

There is an unexplained reason for compartment 4 flooding

A) In addition to a latteral cut into titantic ... one belives that there is a cut into its bottom double hull much like running a ground ... but this is ICE cutting into the steel

B) Another theory when titanic broke in two ... that it was from a lower angle than a higher angle

This is an interesting theory because it refutes Cameron's story that it was a higher angel that snapped the ship in two.

I find it really funny that this theory wasn't shared more. Perhaps it shows more that Cameron didn't investigate the facts more.

They say that the lower angle was good enough to rip a crack down from the top to the double hull bottom. This what kept titanic together until the tear into the double hull allowed a flood of water to invade into the ship. The weight of the water broke the camel back. It explains why the top halves of the two parts of the ship is smashed together when the high angle would support that the bottom part of the ship should have this compression of damages.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/why-a-low-angle-break.html

Hey any one notice the news making the italian cruise ship the Titanic of the modern times. It seems that 60 foot tare in it side ... the lack of water tight compartment .... the lack of take charge crew members assisting passengers to safety during the sinking ... makes this the next comparison ... perhaps later there will be stricter international maritime laws. Would any one hate to be aboard a ship that violates safety protocols ... its the same as the financial crises of the USA ... financial professionals violated rules, regulations, and ethics and common sense ... just for making money.

Hey any one notice the news making the italian cruise ship the Titanic of the modern times. It seems that 60 foot tare in it side ... the lack of water tight compartment .... the lack of take charge crew members assisting passengers to safety during the sinking ... makes this the next comparison ... perhaps later there will be stricter international maritime laws. Would any one hate to be aboard a ship that violates safety protocols ... its the same as the financial crises of the USA ... financial professionals violated rules, regulations, and ethics and common sense ... just for making money.

Oh i think of it more along the lines of the Andrea Doria in the way the captian left the ship, and the fact the ship tipped over and so on. Besides Titanic didn't break safety rules, they didn't exist at that time or at least any rules that would make Titanic Illegal in modern times.

"Seconds from disaster" claims that the binoculars for the crows nest people were lock in the cabinet and the man in charge left the ship.

Like wow ... break into the cabinet ... they should have talked to capt smith ...

Another one is how the radio operator screamed about an improper formatted message and rather than anyone heading about ice bergs while pissing off the Californian radio operator that goes to bed with the radio off.

gosh lots of little things add up ... same goes with the Italian ship ... things add up ... and something sank ... the news will certainly have a field day

Its not a question of violations ... its the lack of team work and leadership ... nice way to celebrate the 100th anniv of Titanic .. perhaps it didn't occur by the Italian capt

Here's a little factoid from IMDB some of you will know:

"When James Cameron was writing the movie, he intended for the main characters Rose DeWitt Bukater and Jack Dawson to be entirely fictitious. It was only after the script was finished that he discovered that there had been a real "J. Dawson" who died aboard the Titanic. This "J. Dawson" was trimmer Joseph Dawson, who had been born September 1888 in Dublin, Ireland. His body was salvaged and buried at Fairview Lawn cemetery in Nova Scotia with many other Titanic victims. Today, his grave stone (#227) is the most widely visited in the cemetery."

Most visitors must be aware the grave is not Jack Dawson's. There's something quite moving that this young man (23), a "stokehold slave" who was probably regarded as the lowest form of human life when he perished on the Titanic and whose impoverished birth to unmarried parents wasn't even registered, should now be remembered (a BBC doc about his short life was made in 2001):

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/the-real-jack-dawson.html

I find it amazing that a hundred years later they are still updating the knowledge about this disaster. My father just got another book on the Titanic with copies of menus, music, and other things rescued from the wreck. Still fascinating after all these years.

I found Titanic Facts

Posted Image The Titanic was traveling 22.5 knots while cruising through iceberg laden waters. Just .5 knot from her maximum speed capability.

Sounds like she was on a race to beat Olympics speed record.

much like Concordia trying to beat a rival Captains Record