Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Income tax was levied on 5 schedules, however it did not apply to profits from capital sales, which the sale of a prize to the admiralty was classed as.  This was not income, but sale of assets already held, which was exempt.  Also note though that this tax was voted only in December of 1798, and so the story isn't there yet.

That said, it will effect those whose income is vested in property and land - such as George's father.  Many peers conducted business only for the enrichment of their estate.  The liquid cash that they used for running their day to day lives came from reliable sources such as vast land holdings and farming (sheep's wool being particularly profitable at this time - keeping Earl Spencer in quite an exceptional standard of living).  Many peers will find themselves suddenly tight for cash as their assets are tied up in investments and incomes are suddenly squeezed.  Money Lending to the already very wealthy in the form of bridging loans became very popular and in fact became the financial bedrock that launched many of the largest banks in the UK today,

Nice summation. Some more info here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/history/taxhis1.htm

Great chapter, I think this really move the story along.  I can't wait to see what happens with Granger and Jardines after they get along on their voyage and Jardines lets loose with whatever he wants to tell Granger.  I have to wonder how much of a change it will make in their relationship.  Of course, also have to wonder if Jardines will survive the trip...

Once Granger reaches Egypt, I just know he will get there in time to play an important role in the Battle of the Nile.  Maybe he will be responsible for doing whatever cause the second French van from coming to the aid of the first ships that were attacked; no one has ever really explained that.  Most historians believe that if the second French van had counter-attacked immediately, the outcome would have been vastly changed. 

I thought that the conversation between Bertie and George was just so honest and telling.  Bertie is acknowledging that he will more than likely never return home to see either of his parents again.  This must be a terrible thing to contemplate and acknowledge.  It is very obvious that Bertie doesn't care about who George sleeps with but just wants him to be happy.  This maybe the best gift he could have ever given George; the true blessing of a member of his family who knows the truth and loves and cares for him anyway.  I also think it is pretty obvious that Bertie trying to explain Chartley's decision that he hopes that Chartley and George remain close friends or even more.  I still like Chartley as George's ultimate partner better than anyone we have meet yet...

This is truly a great saga and wonderful piece of literature of the highest order...

• Like 1

Great chapter, I think this really move the story along.  I can't wait to see what happens with Granger and Jardines after they get along on their voyage and Jardines lets loose with whatever he wants to tell Granger.  I have to wonder how much of a change it will make in their relationship.  Of course, also have to wonder if Jardines will survive the trip...

Once Granger reaches Egypt, I just know he will get there in time to play an important role in the Battle of the Nile.  Maybe he will be responsible for doing whatever cause the second French van from coming to the aid of the first ships that were attacked; no one has ever really explained that.  Most historians believe that if the second French van had counter-attacked immediately, the outcome would have been vastly changed. 

I thought that the conversation between Bertie and George was just so honest and telling.  Bertie is acknowledging that he will more than likely never return home to see either of his parents again.  This must be a terrible thing to contemplate and acknowledge.  It is very obvious that Bertie doesn't care about who George sleeps with but just wants him to be happy.  This maybe the best gift he could have ever given George; the true blessing of a member of his family who knows the truth and loves and cares for him anyway.  I also think it is pretty obvious that Bertie trying to explain Chartley's decision that he hopes that Chartley and George remain close friends or even more.  I still like Chartley as George's ultimate partner better than anyone we have meet yet...

This is truly a great saga and wonderful piece of literature of the highest order...

Thanks for your kind words!  A couple of thoughts:

I think with the Nile you were referring to the French rear, since the British attacked the front (van) and center.  The experts that think it would have made a difference are wrong. :o:P   In fact, the way the fleet was moored and deployed made movement like that almost impossible, and I personally think that even if they had, those ships (as they tried to fight the Brits on the landward side) may have ended up firmly aground.  But we will deal with that when we get to it. 

Bertie is really the ultimate pragmatist, where an opportunity is an opportunity, not something to be burdened with obtuse concepts like morals, or right vs. wrong.  I think that's why he's not overly concerned about who sleeps with whom, and I think that's why  he could genuinely try having sex with Chartley to see if it worked.  It didn't, so he moved on to something else.  If Bertie were your friend, you'd probably find him to be delightful company, but I wouldn't want to rely on him, especially where his interests and mine collided.

A bit of historical background on this trip through Egypt, before we make it.  Mornington mentioned that Jardines was scouting this route out in case Britain had to make an incursion into Egypt as part of an attack on the Ottoman Empire.  In fact, that route would be used three years later to bring Indian troops into the fight to expel the French from Egypt, so such a recon mission is not out of order. 

In June, 1801, General Baird would lead a force that followed the route I have outlined for Granger.   He landed at Kosseir, transited the Wadi Hammamat to arrive at Kena, then took boats down the Nile.  The entire trip took his army approximately three weeks in the hot summer.  Baird and his force would arrive in Cairo on June 21, 1801, three days after Cairo surrendered.  And while they missed that battle, his forces would participate in the final campaign against Alexandria.  

• Like 1

And another update for you Odyssey readers.  You are out there, are you not?  Anyway, I've been on a bit of a writing binge with this story, so weekly publications should continue uninterrupted for at least the next month or so. 

• Like 3

And another update for you Odyssey readers.  You are out there, are you not?  Anyway, I've been on a bit of a writing binge with this story, so weekly publications should continue uninterrupted for at least the next month or so. 

Sweet Jesus and Hallelujah! Bring it on!

Woot  this is fantastic news.  News so good I would kiss a toad, but Ricky is the only toad around and I decided I bit off more than I could chew.   :boy:

• Like 1

Woot  this is fantastic news.  News so good I would kiss a toad, but Ricky is the only toad around and I decided I bit off more than I could chew.   :boy:

Jimmy! All I said was, "Watch the teeth or take them out!"

• Like 1

Previews or it didnt happen !

Well, I am probably misusing the term Van then; the ships I am speaking about where in the south end of the French fleet.  They would have included the Guillaume Tell, Tonnant, Genereux, and the Timoleon.  I have read at least two books by authors considered to be fairly well versed in not just this battle but naval history; C.S. Forester and William Laird Clowes, they both wrote that if those French ships had engaged instead of staying out of the intial encounters that the tide of the battle could have been turned.  Now, that doesn't mean that the British would not have won in the end but the chance of a different outcome would have been increased significantly.  Those ships did nothing to support the French fleet that were intially attacked and did not really come under attack until the next morning.  Now, it has been awhile since I read either of the books that I am refering to but I am sure that both indicated that the lack of involvment from those ships severally damaged the chances of the French in the overall engagement.

I am so excited about more regular chapter of Bridgemont saga...  This really is my favorite series online...

Well, I am probably misusing the term Van then; the ships I am speaking about where in the south end of the French fleet.  They would have included the Guillaume Tell, Tonnant, Genereux, and the Timoleon.  I have read at least two books by authors considered to be fairly well versed in not just this battle but naval history; C.S. Forester and William Laird Clowes, they both wrote that if those French ships had engaged instead of staying out of the intial encounters that the tide of the battle could have been turned.  Now, that doesn't mean that the British would not have won in the end but the chance of a different outcome would have been increased significantly.  Those ships did nothing to support the French fleet that were intially attacked and did not really come under attack until the next morning.  Now, it has been awhile since I read either of the books that I am refering to but I am sure that both indicated that the lack of involvment from those ships severally damaged the chances of the French in the overall engagement.

I am so excited about more regular chapter of Bridgemont saga...  This really is my favorite series online...

Yep, those ships were at the rear of the French line.  It is, of course, all somewhat irrelevant speculation on our part as to what could have happened, and no doubt things could have been different, but I don't think it would have had that much of an impact.  The way the British were able to envelope the French line, and to maul the French Van, tipped the scales irrevocably in their favor, IMHO. 

But more on that when we get to it.  We're not even to Egypt yet. 

Well, I really actually like this chapter of Odyssey even if it did primarily feature Calvert.  I am happy that Calvert and Gatling have found each other and truly hope and with them all the best.  They can find true love and we can be rid of Calvert without even having to kill him off.  I am so excited, Thank You, Mark...

Plus, it was actually good to see what Somers had been up to, plus it was nice to know that he had done what he could to slow Maidstone's return to England, even if he didn't know why he was doing it...  I am not sure that even with him slowing the other ship that the Santa Clarita can make up two months worth of time but it will be interesting to see them try.

I hope we get back to Granger and his journey into danger soon, I can't wait to see how he and Jardines deal with each other...  I just know there is going to be a scene with ropes involved somewhere... 

Well, I really actually like this chapter of Odyssey even if it did primarily feature Calvert.  I am happy that Calvert and Gatling have found each other and truly hope and with them all the best.  They can find true love and we can be rid of Calvert without even having to kill him off.  I am so excited, Thank You, Mark...

Plus, it was actually good to see what Somers had been up to, plus it was nice to know that he had done what he could to slow Maidstone's return to England, even if he didn't know why he was doing it...  I am not sure that even with him slowing the other ship that the Santa Clarita can make up two months worth of time but it will be interesting to see them try.

I hope we get back to Granger and his journey into danger soon, I can't wait to see how he and Jardines deal with each other...  I just know there is going to be a scene with ropes involved somewhere... 

The next  chapter gets us back to Granger and his trek to Egypt.

The next  chapter gets us back to Granger and his trek to Egypt.

Ah, but does it go into great detail describing the garb which is to hide Granger's identity?   One can only hope and that it might also lead to some hilarity.  Poor George!

Wow, we have a ton of story threads in this story now and all of them hold a lot of intrigue.  Hopefully our Mr. Fitzwilliam will be smart enough to follow Sommers council and take much longer to get to England than he possibly could.

I hope the Calvert haters are more happy now that  he has a new love.  I am sure that a few of them will find it as a reason to hate him more.

I look forward to seeing all the treads diverge and them come back together.

Let's not forget the letter to calvert, We've not read that bit yet. I suspect there will be something in there to help Calvert make up his mind. The way Mark likes to tease with a relief of pain and disgust, I suspect it will be an, "I'm probably gonna die. So go on and be happy and know that I loved you second best." (just to give him the nudge to move on.) He is also unaware that Granger has tapped his boyfriend before. That should make things more interesting.

I suspect he will be a bit more in favor of women's rights after this trip. But it will allow Jardines to get back into his pants. Granger could be beheaded for disobeying his . . . er, her husband. And if left alone she would be fair game. And with those blue eyes and his . . .  er. . .  her blonde hair . . .

The only fly in the ointment would be the stubble

Wow, we have a ton of story threads in this story now and all of them hold a lot of intrigue.  Hopefully our Mr. Fitzwilliam will be smart enough to follow Sommers council and take much longer to get to England than he possibly could.

I hope the Calvert haters are more happy now that  he has a new love.  I am sure that a few of them will find it as a reason to hate him more.

I look forward to seeing all the treads diverge and them come back together.

I think Mr Humphries will be smart enough to seize the papers at the first opportunity. All he has to do is search his things while Maidstone is ashore. Or better yet, leave him in capetown. Accidentally of course. Then he is free to follow his original orders and to do so without the troublesome Maidstone. Of course all his processions would have to be stored in the captain's cabin for safe keeping. Hey, we know the french and privateers use that port, who knows what happened that could have made Humphries feel that he had to make sail that moment or risk the ship.

Anyways, I foresee Maidstone stranded and having to catch a ride with Calvert and Jackson. JUST to make the cheese more binding.

It was mentioned Somers might purchase a Colonelcy. I became curious, what I found was that 1755 marked the date officers commissions in the marines were no longer allowed by purchase, but by regular rotation of seniority. Or is being a Governor away around that.

Per Mare Per Terram - the Royal Marines 1793-1815

Before a found that article, I came across one that answered most of the questions I have had on all the terms and names used throughout this series. I think you, my fellow crewmates, would find most of yours answered with regards to naval life at that time and a better understanding of the story (my thought for what its worth).

Royal Navy Customs and Traditions

I suspect he will be a bit more in favor of women's rights after this trip. But it will allow Jardines to get back into his pants. Granger could be beheaded for disobeying his . . . er, her husband. And if left alone she would be fair game. And with those blue eyes and his . . .  er. . .  her blonde hair . . .

The only fly in the ointment would be the stubble

As if Granger needs a reason to offer up his goods  :P .  As for stubble I am thinking the headdress on the burka should cover it and since he's only 20 he should be safe from errant nose whiskers.

One of the most emotionally charged and explosive chapters I've read from anyone anywhere. A tribute to your incredible story telling skills. Truly a wonderful chapter that exploits your abilities to weave the fabric of a story so tightly that were it canvas it could easily hold water without losing a drop.
It exercised nearly every emotional muscle I have, happiness, fear, anger, rage, forgiveness, pity, sadness and love.
Masterful!

My predictions are that Granger will forgive him and upon his return, work to get the brotherhood to allow him to return. And we know how he will forgive him, under the sheets. I suspect it will be a double humper and I'm not speaking about camels.

• Like 1

One of the most emotionally charged and explosive chapters I've read from anyone anywhere. A tribute to your incredible story telling skills. Truly a wonderful chapter that exploits your abilities to weave the fabric of a story so tightly that were it canvas it could easily hold water without losing a drop.

It exercised nearly every emotional muscle I have, happiness, fear, anger, rage, forgiveness, pity, sadness and love.

Masterful!

My predictions are that Granger will forgive him and upon his return, work to get the brotherhood to allow him to return. And we know how he will forgive him, under the sheets. I suspect it will be a double humper and I'm not speaking about camels.

I agree with Ricky on most things he said and you know that is hard to admit.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..