Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Delay again.

Due to SWS (Stupid Writer Syndrome) last week I typoed a filename while creating a document for a new chapter. I got the number wrong... and overwrote a completed chapter with the blank document. (yes, I absentmindedly clicked through the "are you sure" popup in Word). I do back up my writing directory, automatically... but the chapter was too new to be in it. I tried file recovery, etc, but its gone. So, I've been frantically retyping. That's done, but due to the nature of this chapter (you'll understand when you see it,) the following one had to be written as well, due to a plethora of interrelated details. That's now done too, but the next chapter won't be going out to beta until Sunday at the earliest.

What this means is... and I truly hate to say it... no chapter Tuesday. It's just not possible. And this, just after promising, again, that there will be no more skipped weeks in the story.

I truly apologize for this, and hope it's the last time in this story.

The title of the coming chapter is Queen's Gambit Accepted, and I think you'll understand some of the difficulties in writing this chapter once you see it, eight days from now.

Sorry.

CJ :(

• Site Administrator

That's done, but due to the nature of this chapter (you'll understand when you see it,) the following one had to be written as well, due to a plethora of interrelated details. That's now done too, but the next chapter won't be going out to beta until Sunday at the earliest.

This appears to be CJ speak for 'I got a huge cliffhanger coming your way. You'll understand why I won't be able to keep you in suspense for a long period of time...'

:D

It's okay CJ, with everything going on I have no problem waiting the extra time to be bedazzled by a whopper of a cliffy :P

...So, I've been frantically retyping. That's done, but due to the nature of this chapter (you'll understand when you see it,) the following one had to be written as well, due to a plethora of interrelated details. That's now done too, but the next chapter won't be going out to beta until Sunday at the earliest.

What this means is... and I truly hate to say it... no chapter Tuesday. It's just not possible. And this, just after promising, again, that there will be no more skipped weeks in the story.

I assume that means the chapter following The title of the coming chapter is Queen's Gambit Accepted will be (in relation to QGA) on time the following week (two weeks and a couple days hence), right?

Assuming that, all is well because we'll get two chapters just a week apart because of "the nature of this chapter (you'll understand when you see it,) the following one had to be written as well".

That is acceptable, good sir!

I use these quick fixes to the "overwritten file" problem, based on personal esperience/disasters. First, when starting a new chapter I load my chapter template file then immediately do a File-Save-As with the new chapter name-number. Second, I close the chapter template file. Third, once I get started writing I press Ctrl-s periodically to save the file, usually when I finish a long paragraph or just feel like I haven't done it recently enough. This has saved my file (and my butt) several times, including when the power went out and my UPS crashed (oh yes, a UPS can crash).

Colin Posted Image

I know you had to work extra hard to get the chapter out the door, but you didn't have to break the site to get an extra week - just post that you need the time, for cliffhanger's sake! Posted Image

• Site Moderator

Here's something for you to read while we wait for the next chapter.

This is a true story. I told CJ a few weeks ago when returning a chapter, that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. On my daily drive back home from work, I take an alternate route just to miss six traffic lights. It's a slower drive. On this route is a home with a pen in the back yard with probably a dozen goats.

Sometimes these goats are out of their pen and grazing in the yard. I've always been worried that they'd be in the road and a couple of times recently, a couple of them have been in the field across the road grazing on the grass of a Turf Farm and I've had to slow down and stop for them to cross the road. And both times, it was one of the two black goats I waited on.

CJ's response was that I should stop and see if any of them need an editor.

I've now had the pleasure of beta reading "Queen's Gambit Accepted". (Others are still editing and proofreading.) It almost didn't happen. CJ's SWS was still in play when he "sent" me the e-mail. He forgot to attach the file I was to read. Posted Image You should ignore any response he makes to this revelation.

I have to be careful how I say this so I won't spoil the chapter for anyone, but there was a big surprise in it for me and I think everyone will be surprised when they read it. At least, none of the speculation posted in the story thread comes close. Cliffhangers aren't the goat's only forte.

I have to be careful how I say this so I won't spoil the chapter for anyone, but there was a big surprise in it for me and I think everyone will be surprised when they read it.

Cliffhangers aren't the goat's only forte.

You know, those of an uncharitable bent might construe that post as a cliffhanger...

It would seem that Cliffhangers aren't only the goat's forte! Posted Image

I have to agree, MikeL's post was a CLIFFHANGER!!!

And what's with the now obvious bow to those who've compared CJ's work to a chess game? (e.g. the title of the next chapter!) Talk about playing to your base, CJ must be part politician!

Actually, I was looking for a title, and remembered the thread, so my sincere thanks to everyone who participated in that; it did inspire me.

And me? A politician? Why, a politician is a slippery, manipulative creature, who will deny the nose on their face if it suits them. Who could possibly think that I would be like that in any way whatsoever? Posted Image

BTW, the new chapter should be up in a couple of minutes. :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..