Congratulations London!

PrivateTim

While I think the opening ceremonies dragged on too long and weren't that great, the Games themselves were marvelously managed and the venues were great. Rio has a huge challenge ahead of it to match the accomplishments.

• Like 1

Rio has no challenge at all! It can't be topped - not unless they get that big statue to animate itself into the thing it represents.

If the world is amazed at L'12, just think how the Btritish feel. Absolutely astounded. We were sure we were in for two weeks of demolition by press. They tried, but they were overwhelmed by excellence in the end.

As for the ceremonies, they are what they are - fabulous bits of entertainment till it is all slowed down by 10,000 marching ants athletes :)

• Like 1

The time delayed NBC showing of the parade of athletes actually went well in the opening ceremony which still was a bit long otherwise. I think the Brits did an outstanding job especially with having to be compared to China last time.

The fact that the home field advantage was well played and Great Britain did well in the medals was inspiring as well.

Also, now London bankers and government officials can get back to business and hopefully muddle through the current recession.

yeah congratulation on all the metals and hosting a spectacular game in the English speaking world

it up the ante with Beijing's hosting

bravo in finding long term clients for each of the facilities ... that is the best news ever heard

If the world is amazed at L'12, just think how the Btritish feel. Absolutely astounded. We were sure we were in for two weeks of demolition by press. They tried, but they were overwhelmed by excellence in the end.

Somebody's delusional

(just as an fyi nnn, the louder you try to toot your own half-broken horn, the weirder the noise gets)

What is your problem Y_B. Hmm? If you have something to say then say it.

Edited by Zombie

What is your problem Y_B. Hmm? If you have something to say then say it.

Didn't I already?

Anywayys, I thought I deleted that comment before you answered...weird.

Wasn't wanting to derail the thread.

Back on topic. I wasn't too thrilled with NBC's coverage, I'm not sure if it's the first time it's ever been this bad or I've just never noticed before. But London did good. You don't organize an event of this magnitude by not having some wits about you. Glad to see nothing catastrophic occurred and I'm happy for all the medal winners. Rio's gonna be so different. #wonderswhattomdaleywilllooklikeat22

Edited by Y_B

That's what's called a 180. Maybe best to ease off the soda for a while ...

As for your TV that's just a shame if you didn't get to see it properly.

As for your TV that's just a shame if you didn't get to see it properly.

Actually NBC did a great job in showing the events, they were on MSNBC, CNBC, NBCSports, Bravo and NBC daytime TV. It was their nighttime, Prime Time show that sucked. It had stupid commentary and weird cuts of sports, weird "human interest" stories, but you could have watched virtually every event on either TV or streaming off the Internet.

Not only were the games well run and a joy to watch, but I got a real kick out of watching William and Harry having a great time and not sticking to the famous British stiffness that I grew up watching and various events when the royalty was in attendance. I think I would have had a blast if I'd been with them.

Kudos to the Brits overall for a job bloody well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, as someone living here, and wondering what it would all be like, I think London 2012 was pretty damn good.

We didn't half the money that Beijing threw at their Olympics, we didn't have the military precision and fantastic firework displays. What you got was uniquely British, a celebration of the things we enjoy, live with and take for granted. You can't please everyone, and as hard as they tired to make it cater to all tastes, heck someone wasn't going to enjoy it.

Personally I was a little worried that the games would be seen as a juicy target too tempting to avoid missing by some lunatic, and I had a certain amount of worry that something awful may happen, but it didn't, and I think that not enough credit has been given to the massive security operation that took place around, before and during the games by men and women dedicated to keeping us safe. To all the Police, Armed Forces and Security Personal of the London 2012 Games, I think you guys did yourselves and our nation proud.

Edited by Yettie One

Since banger got sidetracked, I'll have to be the one to point this out.

Those British boys were hot !!! :) (drooling :P )

Thanks to all the athletes and good events.

Rio will be interesting, does anyone know whether the Olympics was ever done South America?