Labour/Labor Day

wildone

• Site Administrator

So the Labour/Labor Day weekend is before us. I'm curious about the rest of the world other than the US and Canada (yes, I do know there is more to the world than us :P ).

Do you have a long weekend the first weekend of September, and what do you call it? Also, if you do and everyone can join in, what plans do you have?

Me, it is the last long weekend of the short summer in Canada, so I'm heading up to the lake and cabin in the mountains and enjoy just not being at work :)

Well...the park where I work will be having a long - and certainly busy - weekend. And...I'll be working every single day of it. And the two days before, too! :P

I'm in the US, but I know my friend in England has a bank holiday today (Summer Bank Holiday, last Monday in August for England/Wales/NI).

I have Friday off also, so a four day weekend for me. Lots of plans for the weekend! Friday I have another underground dinner to attend and then a free MC Chris show; Saturday drinks at the Four Seasons with friends and then another concert; Sunday I'm going to 'The Bible Through History', a new exhibit at a castle out here; Monday, relax.

As Andrea has said, we've just had our long weekend. So now back to work today :(

**note to self - win £7.9million on lottery, tell manager where to insert job, spent rest of life writing**

In Australia Labour Day is descended from 8-hour day (when Australian Labour law was changed to ensure that every worker was entitled to "8 hours work, 8 hours rest and 8 hours recreation" I am not sure it was consistent across Australia but it started in Melbourne in 1856(?) spreading to other states by the 1870's).

Now it is a public holiday celebrated in March, May or October, depenidng on which state or Territory you're in.

• Site Administrator

As stated above, the Australian Labour Day is celebrated at different times in different states.

As for the first weekend in September, we have a different celebration. It's not a long weekend, but this coming Sunday is Father's Day :D I'm looking forward to it 0:)

May Day, the first day of May is celebrated in much of the world as a world-wide workers' holiday rather than a first Monday in September Labor Day.

The May Day bank holiday in the UK is the first Monday in May as opposed to the first day in May

Labor Day Posted Image - We usually do a cooking thing and the kids camp out in the front lawn since it seems to mark the end to warm summer - especially at night.

• Like 1

Its a long weekend and the first weekend back at college. I don't think I need to spell out what everyone will be doing Friday-Monday here.

Long weekend at dorms.... With too much time on your hands.... Hand job marathon?