"Impaired Perceptions"- Disability and views

W_L

Thought i would add my two cents into this :)

For those who don't know me,  I'm a sufferer from Developmental Dyspraxia and Sensory Processing Disorder. I have suffered with mild depression in the past.

This basically means that i dont have very good motor skills and i can't be exposed to loud noises or bright lights together (or like having two senses majorly sparked) or i internally freak.

I didn't really have that much of a problem with bullying until i got to Year 7. From Year R-6, i had a teaching assistant and i would have to do coordination lessons every day - to develop my balance, my communication and my writing skills. 

When i got to Year 7, i was singled out as the weird kid - the kid that is 'slow'. Surely, I am slow. I admit it. I take approximately 2 seconds longer than the average person to think through a phrase. I was bullied mentally for about four years. I wasn't ever physically bullied, thank goodness.

In Year 8, i got into theatre. This was my saving grace. It gave me hope in my own abilities. One of the classes i took was Modern Street Dance. Now, i was not the most confident dancer in the world - but this class drove me to work beyond the mental restrictions I had. I gained teaching awards in Dance - something I am immensely proud of. I've had choreography in county shows. I've danced on the 02 Stage in London. I've done all the things the doctors told me I would never be able to do.

So where now? I can't ride a bike, I can't tie shoelaces, I have a panic attack if something goes wrong. I worry far too much.

But, i live by the phrase 'shit happens for a reason' - i've had all this crap cast on me - it's high time i got my own back :P

Now, both of my disorders are internal. People can't see that there is something 'wrong' with me :) I like it that way :) I tell people as soon as i become friends with them, so they know that i'm not doing things wrong - or i'm not trying to insult them - i'm just being me :)

• Like 5

This is one of the best posts I've seen.   I don't get to see anything of people on here except what they say.   I don't have the sort of challenges I just read about, but reading them reminded me that I don't often consider that there are important differences between myself and others that I'm not, and may never, be aware of.   Those differences are always important, because peoples circumstances have some effect on their lives and how they relate to the rest of the world.

If I keep that in mind then I can understand things that I wouldn't otherwise.   It's good to be reminded of that, because it helps me to be more thoughtful about the things that sometimes bewilder me in other people.   It also reminds me of two famous people with problems they fought to overcome, Helen Keller and Stephen Hawking.

I think the big idea, at least for me, is that everyone, regardless of who they are or what I think of them, has as much potential as I do, if not more, and deserves the same consideration, or thoughtfullness, that I think I deserve.   I think it's something that's lacking in the world, so I had to say something about it.   Thanks for a very meaningful post.   :)

• Like 4

I have cerebral palsy, but I was never in any special classes or anything. In kickball, the teachers made the kids stand still when I kicked the ball, and I always got a home run. Nothing makes you feel stupid than crap like that. Now, the only hint of something wrong is the way I walk; heel toe on my left foot. Basically a limp. A lot of people associate it with mental retardation, and look at me funny when I say it, so I usually don't mention it at all cause I'm too lazy to explain. :P 

Is laziness a handicap? 

• Like 4

As a deaf guy, I'm pretty much so used to it that quite often i don't even feel like I'm disabled. Most of the time, I don't really have any issues, especially with phones today. I can pretty much text anyone, and if i need to order anything from a fast food place, i can just type out what I want on a notepad on my phone, then show what i typed out to the person. However, I've met a few people who are pretty much ignorant or intolerant or just plain impatient. quite often, Id say 90% of the time, i wont catch all of what you may say to me, and Ill ask to repeat until i can piece together enough to understand whatever someone is telling me. It annoys me whenever a person would roll their eyes when asked to speak again, or speak EXTRA SLOWLY like a retard (seriously, you should try watching people's face when they try to speak to me like they're speaking to a 1 year old child.). All I ask is patience and speak clearly and normally. if nothing work, the old pen and paper (or notepad on phone) will always be on hand for me.

I never really have had any issues, however when I finished school, and started a full time job, I realized I should try to find a way to improve my hearing. My natural hearing, assisted with hearing aids can only go so far (68+ Db, i can hear with hearing aids, 95+ without, I have "profound hearing loss"). I decided to get a cochlear implant, and overhaul my brain on how to perceive sound. It is working out well for me so far 7 months after surgery (feel free to ask me if you'd like to find more details!), however, among the more traditional deaf people, and people who are proud to be deaf, receiving an implant would be an insult to the deaf culture (kinda in a way like I'm working on trying to turn myself straight, similar concept). so it sometimes make me feel kinda detached to deaf culture, while still kinda detached to the normal culture, since I'm still considered deaf, and now, me being freshly out of the closet, freshly detached from the "straight" culture, and still trying to work my way into the gay culture. i often feel like I'm stuck in a crossroad in the middle of nowhere, trying to decide whether to go north, south, east, west, northwest, southeast? definitely lots of changes for me to work out right now.

I never really have had any bullying issues in the past in school. its probably because if its behind my back, i just simply don't hear about it, or if someone tease me, i just take it as a joke and tease them in return. i guess it helps that I'm not easily offended at all I figured here's a good place to share a little bit of my story.

If there's any question or anything you're curious about, feel free to ask me! I'm usually in the chatroom too as well.

Cheers!

Edited by SilverNitro
  • Like 5

I think the big idea, at least for me, is that everyone, regardless of who they are or what I think of them, has as much potential as I do, if not more, and deserves the same consideration, or thoughtfullness, that I think I deserve.   I think it's something that's lacking in the world, so I had to say something about it.   Thanks for a very meaningful post.   :)

I couldn't agree more!

Well at least I am not the only disabled gay guy on this site and everyone has their own unique takes.

John, you are a great guy. Besides, the turtles win the race (even though I was born in the year of the hare :P )

Lacey, I really want to just hug you tight and never let go, :D

Partial blindness is kind of weird, I am not completely blind, but I am not able to use my sight either. I hate having to go through life being here and half there, so I kind of understand SilverNitro's point.

Nephy, the shadows cannot consume what is bright, they cannot presume over what is right :) You will find a light eventually to shine through the abyss.

The surgeries were the worst for me, because for a brief period of time I have to wear eye patches and use my cane. Imagine going into class like that. The teachers were amenable. They closed the blinds and turned off most of the lights in the room to allow my eye to be used (one of the side effects of Glaucoma is the formation of Cataracts, which need to be removed), but the kids didn't understand why I could not have intense light. I hated being the one singled out for that stuff. It takes weeks for my cornea to heal and besides how difficult life was, the kids made it worse.