Who is buying a Kindle?

PrivateTim

Cute commercial. I was considering on buying one but I think I might just save up for an iPad. As for reading in direct sunlight, doesn't a matte covering mitigate the problem for glare?

I have the earlier Kindle Touch e-reader and it is fine for long reading sessions.   I have the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch tablet that I browse the web and do apps on and it is fine because it isn't tethered.   I have a laptop which is ok but is really too big to lug around much.  I use it instead of my main PC when on vacation etc.   I have a desktop PC which I use for my main computer to do work, writing, or any extended typing.   Each has their place.   I do not have an expensive smart phone.   I use my cell phone for calls and limited texting.  I have plenty of other gizmos to try to look at a 5 inch or smaller screen and try to follow along or read.  Multiple electronics, used in contexts where they work best.   I love living in the 21st century.

The book selection at Amazon is unbeatable and so are their prices.   I have Prime so I can even borrow books for free.  And the videos, both TV and movies are also a deal with many free when you have Prime.   My Fire HD 8.9 has a mini hdmi out so with a cord I can stream video to my big screen TV which is not internet or Wi-Fi capable.  I watched both Seasons 1 & 2 of Downton Abbey that way. 

Edited by Daddydavek

I have a Nook Color that I got about four years ago. Although I've used it for the internet and game apps, ninety-five percent of its usage is reading. As someone who almost always carried a book with them, I'm very happy with the purchase. Does what it was intended to do and does it well.

I have to admit that although I publish to Kindle & the other readers, I don't own one myself - or a smartphone.  Some people have said I should get one due to the possibility of poor emulation, but I've not found a problem with the software I use at the moment.  We still have a laptop in the house, however...  There are at least 4 fully functioning 'desktops' - one for general use, one for the other half (Linux), one for video editing, and one for audio/studio work.  The writing/authoring is usually done on the general machine, though depends.  I've still to hook up the DVD player into the wi-fi, but no doubt that will come in time.

There again, I still have a love of paper, but I used to collect them for decades before several radical changes in my life.

Cute commercial. I was considering on buying one but I think I might just save up for an iPad. As for reading in direct sunlight, doesn't a matte covering mitigate the problem for glare?

It's not just a matter of glare.  LCD based screens tend to look washed out in strong (ready: sun) light.  To a degree, iPads and iPhones (and some other devices) compensate by automatically adjusting screen brightness based on ambient illumination.  Unfortunately, they can only do so to a degree.  The back-lights included in the devices can only push so much light themselves, and the more light they push, the more power they drain.

That said, I love my iPad.

A ri-tawr-i-kuhl ˈkwes-chən is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point and without the expectation of a reply.[1] The question is used as a rhetorical device, posed for the sake of encouraging its listener to consider a message or viewpoint.

The point was the video......

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I've a kindle that I got 2 birthdays ago. I prefer to buy in epub and read in ADE though. I often convert. I also have the kindle app on my surface, netbook, and phone though. Can't avoid it with amazon 1 click purchasing.

A ri-tawr-i-kuhl ˈkwes-chən is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point and without the expectation of a reply.[1] The question is used as a rhetorical device, posed for the sake of encouraging its listener to consider a message or viewpoint.

The point was the video......

And thus we see that, in reality, no one is a philosopher in their home town...  :)

I didn't like the advert - it felt clunky for some reason I can't really put my finger on. Also, while I think it's great that there's an "incidental" gay couple in it, it's not enough for me to go out and buy their product unless I was going to anyway. And if I was going to anyway...I may lean towards the gay friendly company. But it would be one of many factors I'd consider.

Also, I've just gotten my old place and started decorating with souvenirs, art, books etc. so at the moment I'm really just falling in love with books again. You just don't get the same out of ebooks and Kindles. It would make more sense given my lifestyle, but I still can't make myself buy one. 

Back when I used to live out in Suffolk with my mother, the house was always full of paperback and hardback books - my own collection came to around 4,000, plus small press magazines, chapbooks, anthologies - it was the old family house, 4 bedroom, 7 ground floor rooms, and just the two of us rolling around in it.  Sadly, most of that became lost and destroyed via my darling sister and her manipulations. 

Falling in love with books is a bad disease - and thankfully there's no cure for it.  You cannot beat paper, and although some friends have seemingly converted over to e-books, etc, I still have a love of them as well.

And if you think that books are bad, you should also keep away from the black vinyl discs... :)

I don't know. I kind of like the ad. It's unexpected, but it could have had a little more punch.

As for the Kindle. I've had one for a while now and have been publishing with Amazon and elsewhere. I have a Kobo ereader as well. They're both great, and save you a lot of money (books are cheaper) and hassle with going to a store. But honestly, I probably prefer reading on paper best.

I don't know. I kind of like the ad. It's unexpected, but it could have had a little more punch.

The best part of the commercial was its lack of punch. The very matter of fact way he dismissed her implication that he was hitting on her was so smooth.

• Like 1