The name "Rory" doesn't seem right to me... there's something awkward about the word that I can't put my finger on. If I try to say it out loud it feels like I can only just get my mouth around it.

Exactly! I'm telling you it's the "r-o-r" combo, it's just really awkward to say.

• Site Administrator
The name "Rory" doesn't seem right to me... there's something awkward about the word that I can't put my finger on. If I try to say it out loud it feels like I can only just get my mouth around it (somebody is going to make a joke out of that...I can see it coming).

I don't have a problem with the name. I would say it as "ROAR-ee". ie. the "Ror" would be "roar" (as in a lion's roar) and the "y" is "ee" like in "Tony".

Given some the names I've seen parents give their kids, Rory is very tame -- unusual but not exceptional.

The name "Quinn" seems to bug me a little as well... but that is because it feel...incomplete. It needs another sound on the end of it (although that would basically leave you with Quentin...)

I can't help thinking of the Bob Dylan song Quinn the Eskimo. It makes Quinn's parents sound like hippies :D

Depends upon how you say your "r"s. A typical southern US pronunciation would differ only slightly for "Roy" with the second "r" just coloring the "o" a bit and the final "ee" sound extended. A good drawled "Raaaaaaawr-Reee" would be an easy different southern version.

Scottish "r"s would make it easy, as would a single-tongue-flip for the second "r". French uvular "r"s would be tricky, I would think, but then I can barely get one out myself in "Henri," so maybe not so hard for a native francophone.

Isn't the name Scottish, come to think of it?

And when Quinn the Dom character gets here, all the people will get annoyed.

Depends upon how you say your "r"s. A typical southern US pronunciation would differ only slightly for "Roy" with the second "r" just coloring the "o" a bit and the final "ee" sound extended. A good drawled "Raaaaaaawr-Reee" would be an easy different southern version.

Scottish "r"s would make it easy, as would a single-tongue-flip for the second "r". French uvular "r"s would be tricky, I would think, but then I can barely get one out myself in "Henri," so maybe not so hard for a native francophone.

Isn't the name Scottish, come to think of it?

And when Quinn the Dom character gets here, all the people will get annoyed.

Good explanation of the southern US pronunciation of Rory. Sounds just like I would say it (the first version , not the drawled one). Personally, I have known only one person named Rory and he went by his middle name.

Rory is definitely an Irish masculine name, also common in Scotland. See the Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_%28given_name%29. It includes a list of 28 notable persons named Rory; only one is female and her Rory is a nickname.

Edited by MikeL