58f4dd058cc53998b7ed9731aeacc13d.jpg.b1a74bb46890637075285a689afd1b18.jpg

Mum 'scared to death' when she finds venomous seven-inch tarantula

Huge purple arachnid scuttled out of Lyndsey Herlihy's utility room. The terrified mother-of-two called the RSPCA to her Ruislip home to trap it. The beast legged it but was finally caught.

Ruislip mother 'scared to death' when she finds venomous 7" tarantula | Daily Mail Online

:cowboy:

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
35 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

58f4dd058cc53998b7ed9731aeacc13d.jpg.b1a74bb46890637075285a689afd1b18.jpg

Mum 'scared to death' when she finds venomous seven-inch tarantula

Huge purple arachnid scuttled out of Lyndsey Herlihy's utility room. The terrified mother-of-two called the RSPCA to her Ruislip home to trap it. The beast legged it but was finally caught.

Ruislip mother 'scared to death' when she finds venomous 7" tarantula | Daily Mail Online

I'd be scared if that thing came out of one of my rooms as well.  It's a lovely color, but I'm not sure where that might camouflage this tarantula, unless maybe it lived in the ocean.  😜

• Like 3
On 12/12/2023 at 5:44 AM, sandrewn said:

that’s just 99 miles from me :o :( image.gif.11285eead3ca9e135b7a40107173c60f.gif :funny:

scooby doo running GIF

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

f2c47fb2e752e73e15a6e9e2f3ab2bad.jpg.1e2dea7b96913d2261c4ee446a7377b5.jpg

Mouse Spider (Missulena bradleyi)

Mouse Spider : Female Mouse Spiders are all black and male spiders are black with a bluish-white patch on the front of their abdomen. Females are larger than males....

Is this the Darth Vader of spiders?  And why is it called a mouse spider? 

Is it because its as large as a mouse or because it preys on mice? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Is this the Darth Vader of spiders?  And why is it called a mouse spider? 

Is it because its as large as a mouse or because it preys on mice? 

I love it when I actually have an answer for you, but to be honest, the answer was already at your fingertips. It was in the blurb (first paragraph) of.....

Description
Female Mouse Spiders are all black and male spiders are black with a bluish-white patch on the front of their abdomen. Females are larger than males. The common name of the mouse spider arises from the mistaken belief that they dig a deep burrow like a mouse. Mouse spider fangs move in and out sideways, and not up and down like Funnel web spiders.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
4 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

I love it when I actually have an answer for you, but to be honest, the answer was already at your fingertips. It was in the blurb (first paragraph) of.....

Description
Female Mouse Spiders are all black and male spiders are black with a bluish-white patch on the front of their abdomen. Females are larger than males. The common name of the mouse spider arises from the mistaken belief that they dig a deep burrow like a mouse. Mouse spider fangs move in and out sideways, and not up and down like Funnel web spiders.

Sorry, with my eyes I wasn't able to read the facts listed on the blurb when I clicked on it.  

• Like 3

8-eyed creature — with personality like ‘Satan’ — discovered as new species in Ecuador

Miami Herald
ASPEN PFLUGHOEFT
December 14, 2023 at 1:08 PM

In the mountains of Ecuador lurked an eight-eyed creature with a “bad temperament.” When scientists encountered the hairy animal, they discovered its bristly personality — and a new species.

Researchers ventured into the forests of central Ecuador in 2021 in search of tree-dwelling spiders, according to a study published Dec. 13 in the journal ZooKeys.

They found one hairy spider inside a bamboo fence. The spider tried to defend itself then attempted to flee, making “quick sporadic movements, nearly too fast to see,” the study said.

It didn’t work.

Researchers captured the spider and took it to a research lab. They found three similar-looking spiders in archive collections and, taking a closer look, realized they’d discovered a new species: Psalmopoeus satanas, or the Satan tarantula.

The Satan tarantula can reach just under two inches in length, the study said. It has eight eyes, eight legs covered in “golden” hair and “long” “fringe” on its face.

Photos show the new species. It has a dark brown body and almost looks like it’s wearing fringed leg warmers.

Several views of a Psalmopoeus satanas, or Satan tarantula.

Several views of a Psalmopoeus satanas, or Satan tarantula.
  • Wow 2
16 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

a98b46f4616f52d5b7545fcd74fb91ef.jpg.084d1a78cb78e0577c2118dfdf55d691.jpg

Yikes, but I'm sure that it's similar to the of anything that gets caught in a spider web and is waiting for the spider to come down and start wrapping it up for later.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sandrewn said:

6fc74555f2d740707055579fc420103e.jpg.306d9c536cddcb4968fdce02e586dd45.jpg

f0b82d78030b86012f20a3b6cbe64d9f.jpg.9b883be9bbdb99073689a2a90a1e96b2.jpg

Female Lady Bird spider Eresus sandaliatus

I wonder if this was named after Lady Bird Johnson, President Lyndon Baines Johnson's wife?  If it was, it was a hell of a tribute.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bill W said:

I wonder if this was named after Lady Bird Johnson, President Lyndon Baines Johnson's wife?  If it was, it was a hell of a tribute.  

undefined

(This one is a male)

Eresus sandaliatus is a species of spider found primarily in northern and central Europe. Like other species of the genus Eresus, it is commonly called ladybird spider because of the coloration of the male.

Eresus sandaliatus - Wikipedia

• Like 1

43009877f6607222fec40f14f3cb355b.jpg.3eb5fe29e54933633246cc0d33c96c56.jpg

Gandanameno sp.

Not only are some species nearly eusocial, female Velvet spiders exhibit a remarkable type of maternal care among arachnids. Upon the birth of her brood, the mother spider liquefies her internal organs and regurgitates this material as food. Once her capability to liquefy her insides is exhausted, the young sense this and consume the mother. Now that's the ultimate sacrifice!

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

43009877f6607222fec40f14f3cb355b.jpg.3eb5fe29e54933633246cc0d33c96c56.jpg

Gandanameno sp.

Not only are some species nearly eusocial, female Velvet spiders exhibit a remarkable type of maternal care among arachnids. Upon the birth of her brood, the mother spider liquefies her internal organs and regurgitates this material as food. Once her capability to liquefy her insides is exhausted, the young sense this and consume the mother. Now that's the ultimate sacrifice!

This is not only a unique photograph of a spider, but it's a unique and interesting story as well.  The ultimate mother's love. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sandrewn said:

d09bade4a8acb548d275fa17fb9598b5.jpg.d78c7cebdde0d48834429bb3bbe3c741.jpg

Ogre-faced spider (Deinopis sp.)

Just for fun. Ogre-faced spider (Deinopis sp.). Very clearly a male (apart from the swollen pedipalps also the grumpy expression)

Talk about a face that only a mother could love, yeesh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1