8 hours ago, Bill W said:

Damn, that looks surreal.  Are the red mites living on the spider in a symbiotic relationship?  They appear to be the spider's eyes, and that's freaky.  

Life quite often is. Knowing your love of spiders, I know who you are cheering for.

I should of titled that picture, 'The Predators and The Prey'.

Symbiotic, no. Parasitic, yes.

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

a83c195fd38f368ee30305ae69b620ec.jpg.3e2ab1e60f0109df23721b97b50e06b8.jpg

The Tiger Spider, Bolivia's Own Ferocious Striped Predator

This is Linothele fallax, which I have dubbed the Tiger Spider due to its coloring which resembles that of the infamous ferocious cat.

:cowboy:

I read the article and it says the male is 2 to 3 inches in length and its venomous.  That's one good-size spider.  Later, it claims this is a tarantula, but I didn't know tarantulas could spin webs.   

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, sandrewn said:

I'm amazed at how you come up with all this stuff.  Did you check out that link?  When a tarantula makes a sperm web is kind of sad.  It's the males last chance to get off before its final moult and it dies of old age.   

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

97151b37289c3a5ad0e1613cd0f1c21d.jpg.744a0b860c309de1483459a706f9d65e.jpg

Mabel Orchard Spider (Leucauge mabelae)

The mabel orchard spider does not wait in its web for its prey as some spiders do. Instead, it hangs beneath the web or waits on a nearby stem or twig with one foot on a strand of the web waiting for prey to be detected. Its web is built almost horizontally among shrubs or trees. This spider is in the long-jawed orb weaver family of spiders and is one of the most colorful and beautiful spiders found in nature.

12 hours ago, Bill W said:

I'm amazed at how you come up with all this stuff.  Did you check out that link?  When a tarantula makes a sperm web is kind of sad.  It's the males last chance to get off before its final moult and it dies of old age.   

Thank you, I enjoy looking for this stuff and sometimes get lucky.

Yes I did.

Kind of, yes. However, he had some fun(lots of), before getting to this stage.

Now if you want to talk sad, take the 'Praying Mantis', now that my friend is really sad!! First time lucky(often his last) and off with his head. Once in a lifetime(a very short one), ouch.

I know the old saying, 'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all'(Tennyson), but........

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, Doha said:

Daddy long legs

@Doha

Right subject material, but I'm missing your point?

On the off hand chance, based on your last couple of posts, you may have zigged instead of zagging to arrive here. Let me just say.......

- I have been to New York(a long while ago), looked out from the top of the Empire State building as they worked on completing the North and South Towers of the World Trade Center.

-Scuba dived in the Red Sea, with far off sharks, but real close(like I stopped to give them and their teeth, the right of way) Barracudas.

-I have bobbed up and down in the Dead Sea.

Hmm, it seems I am now, most definitely  guilty of zigzagging.

sorry,

• Haha 2

e9e767e2b5bee44b1924c68be121fe5d.jpg.0d98395fcecc8f2c14d06838bab82a3e.jpg

Neoscona domiciliorum - Red-femured Spotted Orbweaver - USA Spiders

Commonly known as Red-femured spotted orb weaver or spotted orb weaver, these spiders are in the family of Araneidae which has a Latin name of Neoscana domiciliorum. These spiders are known to be beneficial in consuming a variety of insects. They are also nocturnal.

• Wow 1
7 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

e9e767e2b5bee44b1924c68be121fe5d.jpg.0d98395fcecc8f2c14d06838bab82a3e.jpg

Neoscona domiciliorum - Red-femured Spotted Orbweaver - USA Spiders

Commonly known as Red-femured spotted orb weaver or spotted orb weaver, these spiders are in the family of Araneidae which has a Latin name of Neoscana domiciliorum. These spiders are known to be beneficial in consuming a variety of insects. They are also nocturnal.

I've noticed many of the different spider's legs are banded.  Is there a reason for that?   The spotted spider had yellow bands, and I've seen other spiders with the a similar pattern, so is there a reason or an explaination for it? 

• Like 2

e9f82394a5270a8e6d614dc4351b0b72.jpg.9df8106fbe9971c95c564cab60979415.jpg

Nasty, Venomous, And Lethal Spiders Around The World

Small, quick, and venomous spiders are one of the more dangerous and deadly species on the planet. From Black Widows killing and devouring male spiders to fuzzy wolf spiders who only attack when threatened, here are some of the world’s nastiest, most venomous, and lethal arachnids.

Nasty, Venomous, And Lethal Spiders Around The World - Explored Planet

23 hours ago, Bill W said:

I've noticed many of the different spider's legs are banded.  Is there a reason for that?   The spotted spider had yellow bands, and I've seen other spiders with the a similar pattern, so is there a reason or an explaination for it? 

Easy question, but hard to find answers for. Here is some info I found(still looking).

Spider Myths: Color-coding? No such luck!

Oxford_Gillespie_20xx.pdf

• Wow 2
55 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

e9f82394a5270a8e6d614dc4351b0b72.jpg.9df8106fbe9971c95c564cab60979415.jpg

Nasty, Venomous, And Lethal Spiders Around The World

Small, quick, and venomous spiders are one of the more dangerous and deadly species on the planet. From Black Widows killing and devouring male spiders to fuzzy wolf spiders who only attack when threatened, here are some of the world’s nastiest, most venomous, and lethal arachnids.

Nasty, Venomous, And Lethal Spiders Around The World - Explored Planet

Easy question, but hard to find answers for. Here is some info I found(still looking).

Spider Myths: Color-coding? No such luck!

Oxford_Gillespie_20xx.pdf

That was very interesting, so the band are just coincidental.  

The spider at the top is a red widow spider and very venolmous, but at least you should be able to spot in with all tt red on its body. 

• Like 2

45d3b975dc4128960e41b8ef5aca58f8.jpg.21a9ab7b84bcf26d2154e0aeb92538bf.jpg

Dancing White Lady Spider

Image: James Anderson Leucorchestris arenicola Arrrgh! It's a g-g-g- ghost! Oh wait, no it isn't. It's a great, big spider. Phew! ....

Real Monstrosities: Dancing White Lady Spider

5 hours ago, Bill W said:

That was very interesting, so the band are just coincidental.  

Pretty much so, usually camouflage/blending in, in order to live, catch prey and survive. Like they say it's a jungle out there! Here are a few more references for you.

Spider's Color-Changing Camouflage Is a Mystery | WIRED

Why is colour important for spiders? - SpiderSpotter

Black Widows: Obvious to Predators, Stealthy to Prey | Duke Today

Edited by sandrewn
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, sandrewn said:

45d3b975dc4128960e41b8ef5aca58f8.jpg.21a9ab7b84bcf26d2154e0aeb92538bf.jpg

Dancing White Lady Spider

Image: James Anderson Leucorchestris arenicola Arrrgh! It's a g-g-g- ghost! Oh wait, no it isn't. It's a great, big spider. Phew! ....

Real Monstrosities: Dancing White Lady Spider

Pretty much so, usually camouflage/blending in, in order to live, catch prey and survive. Like they say it's a jungle out there! Here are a few more references for you.

Spider's Color-Changing Camouflage Is a Mystery | WIRED

Why is colour important for spiders? - SpiderSpotter

Black Widows: Obvious to Predators, Stealthy to Prey | Duke Today

Those were interesting articles about the White Lady Spider and the Black Widow Spider.  Thank you.  I learned a lot.  

• Like 2