Sickening verdict in Texas

wildone

The boy and his friends were seen stealing 2 cases of beer on servalence camera ,speeding , 3 times over the legal blood achol leval and had 7 passengers in his Ford f 350. I hope in the USA when you take the test for your driving licence that it's not only against the law to drink and drive but also very dangerous. If so he has no excuses for his actions

Oh yeah it's Texas, of course he would have a truck, duh.....I've never driven a f350....but I drove a Ram 2500 last week, it was sick!!! 

I wonder what beer he was drinking

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

*sighs*  It's not about "affluenza". It's about the harshest sentence the Juvenile Court could impose.

Yes James, I hear you :)

What I don't understand is why he wasn't charged in Criminal Court.

Found this on Wiki (so not sure if it is all correct) on a Juvenile to Criminal Court:

During the late 1980s and early 1990s murders by juveniles increased dramatically, which resulted in new legislation that allowed for more juveniles and younger juveniles to be transferred to criminal court.[3] These changes, many of which took place between 1992 and 1995, included lowering the age of judicial transfer, adding to the list of transferable offenses, and creating automatic transfer laws for certain ages and offenses.[4] It has been found recently that the United States transfers roughly 13,000 juveniles to adult courts every year, with approximately 36% of those transfers involving youth who committed violent offenses.[5]

There are four main processes by which juvenile defendants can be transferred to criminal court[3][4]

1. Judicial Waiver: Juvenile court judges have the ability to transfer juveniles to criminal court, usually takes into account age and severity of offense
  2. Prosecutorial Discretion: Prosecutors have the authority to file cases in juvenile court or criminal court jurisdiction
  3. Statutory Exclusion: State laws that require certain categories of juvenile offenders to appear in criminal court based on age or type of offense
  4. "Once an adult, always an adult" or "Once waived/always waived": State laws that require juveniles to be tried in criminal court if any previous crimes were seen in criminal court

Twenty-three states have no minimum age in a least one judicial waiver or statutory exclusion provision allowing for the transfer of juveniles to adult court. In states where a minimum age is specified for all transfer provisions, age 14 is the most common minimum age.[6]

So my question then becomes, did Affluenza play a role in the decision to not transfer him to Criminal Court?

Oh yeah it's Texas, of course he would have a truck, duh.....I've never driven a f350....but I drove a Ram 2500 last week, it was sick!!! 

I wonder what beer he was drinking

Lol,! Called it :P

As for the Beer,, I am guessing you guys must be Coors. However, since he has expensive taste, maybe Miller Life (Same difference as its a Coors product) or a foreign import.

Likely Coors but since he stole it, coulda been anything. It may even have been Bud Light....which is a worse crime than running people over. Bud Light should be illegal, it's actually immoral.

• Like 2

Likely Coors but since he stole it, coulda been anything. It may even have been Bud Light....which is a worse crime than running people over. Bud Light should be illegal, it's actually immoral.

Nah Corona is worst, its piss in a bottle basically.

Yes James, I hear you :)

What I don't understand is why he wasn't charged in Criminal Court.

Found this on Wiki (so not sure if it is all correct) on a Juvenile to Criminal Court:

So my question then becomes, did Affluenza play a role in the decision to not transfer him to Criminal Court?

Most affluent defendants can afford to hire lawyers that will devote considerable time to their case.  There are numerous cases and studies that show public defenders rarely have enough time to adequately represent their clients given their caseload.  Based on that, I'd say that his lawyers were able to convince the judge to keep the case in juvenile court.  Under Texas law, defendants between the ages of 14 and 17 may be tried as an adult.

Sorry people - but I don't think people are seeing the point here.  He drank, drove, killed, and was tried as a child?

He drank - like an adult

He drove - like an adult

He killed 

He should have been tried like an adult, and been subject to the same penalties.

• Like 1

Sorry people - but I don't think people are seeing the point here.  He drank, drove, killed, and was tried as a child?

He drank - like an adult

He drove - like an adult

He killed 

He should have been tried like an adult, and been subject to the same penalties.

Adult responsibility and driving licence minimum age are not the same thing. Is a 14 yo an adult? No. And yet 14 year olds are allowed to hold a driver's licence in parts of the US and Canada - the youngest permitted drivers in the World. You cannot exclude government and licensing authorities from responsibility when we all know that young people behave irresponsibly. All of human history tells us this. And I was no different :P

In the UK the minimum age is 17 and the government is seriously reviewing young driver accident statistics and considering various proposals including to raise the minimum age to 18 and to ban young drivers from carrying any passengers below age 30 to remove the "showing off" component of many RTAs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10370373/Driving-age-could-rise-to-18-under-new-proposals.html

• Like 1

In the UK the minimum age is 17 and the government is seriously reviewing young driver accident statistics and considering various proposals including to raise the minimum age to 18 and to ban young drivers from carrying any passengers below age 30 to remove the "showing off" component of many RTAs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10370373/Driving-age-could-rise-to-18-under-new-proposals.html

In my state, while you can get a permit to begin learning at 16 - you don't get a provisional licence till 17, and are under various restrictions for at least a before getting an unrestricted licence.

And do I think it a good thing to give a 14 yr old a licence? NO WAY!  But then - there are some supposed adults I would not give a drivers licence either.

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 2

Adult responsibility and driving licence minimum age are not the same thing. Is a 14 yo an adult? No. And yet 14 year olds are allowed to hold a driver's licence in parts of the US and Canada - the youngest permitted drivers in the World. You cannot exclude government and licensing authorities from responsibility when we all know that young people behave irresponsibly. All of human history tells us this. And I was no different :P

Only in North and South Dakota can you get a driver's license at 14 1/2. And who the hell lives in those two states anyway. :P The vast majority of states require you to be 15-15.5 to get a learners permit, 16-17 to get a restricted license, and 18-21 to get an unrestricted license. Why North and South Dakota allows 14 year olds to drive cars is beyond me, but its not really a big impact because more people live in my city than in those two states combined. 

Surprisingly my home state requires a lot to get a license. To get my license at 16 I had to...

• Thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction with a certified driver education instructor
  • Ten (10) hours of practice driving with a certified driver education instructor
  • Six (6) hours of driving observation with a certified driver education instructor

In addition to the above, each student must log forty (40) additional hours of supervised driving time with a parent, guardian or other responsible adult. Ten (10) hours of the additional driving practice must be completed at night. 

And then I had to go pass a Department of Motor Vehicles driving test. And all of my driving restrictions weren't removed until I turned 18. Most states do not give licenses to people under 16 simply because its stupid to do so. 

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

Surprisingly my home state requires a lot to get a license. To get my license at 16 I had to...

• Thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction with a certified driver education instructor
  • Ten (10) hours of practice driving with a certified driver education instructor
  • Six (6) hours of driving observation with a certified driver education instructor
In addition to the above, each student must log forty (40) additional hours of supervised driving time with a parent, guardian or other responsible adult. Ten (10) hours of the additional driving practice must be completed at night. 

And then I had to go pass a Department of Motor Vehicles driving test. And all of my driving restrictions weren't removed until I turned 18. Most states do not give licenses to people under 16 simply because its stupid to do so.

The rules in Australia differ from state to state, but here in Victoria, you can't get a learner's permit until your 16, and your can't do the driving test for a license until you're 18. From the official government website on getting a probationary license:

• if you are under the age of 21, you must have held your learner permit for at least twelve months in the period immediately before applying for a licence and completed a minimum of 120 hours (including at least 10 hours at night) of driving with an experienced driver. You must have recorded these hours in an official Learner Log Book signed by you and your supervising experienced driver.
  • if you are 21 years of age or over, or obtained your learner permit before 1 July 2007, you will not be required to complete 120 hours of supervised driving or submit an official Learner Log Book
  • if you are over 21 years of age but under 25 years of age, you must have held your learner permit for at least six months in the period immediately before applying for a licence.
  • if you are 25 years of age or over you must have held your learner permit for at least three months in the period immediately before applying for a licence.

Even when you've got a probationary license, there are significant restrictions:

• Cannot drive eight cylinder, turbocharged, supercharged, or high performance six cylinder vehicles except in special circumstances (eg. for work or in hardship situations)
  • Cannot have more than one passenger between 16 and 22 unless there's an experienced driver next to them (for first year of the probationary license only)
  • You must have a zero blood alcohol content (BAC of .00) at all times while driving.
  • If you are a drink driving offender caught with a BAC of 0.07 or more, you will have to fit an alcohol ignition interlock in your vehicle for a minimum of six months once re-licensed.
  • If you pass your Drive Test in an automatic vehicle, you can only drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission (this does not apply if you have previously held a manual licence).
  • You must not use a mobile phone while driving. This includes hands-free devices, hand-held phones and messaging of any kind. 
  • P1 (first year) probationary drivers are only allowed to tow for work at the request of their employer, or for driving solely in connection with agriculture, horticulture, dairying, pastoral, commercial fishing, or under instruction with an experienced driver in the vehicle.

I waited until I was 19 to get a license, and it was actually a good thing, because I avoided all the restrictions. You basically just pass the written and the road test, and you've got your license. Although it seems like in some states, I would have had to deal with restrictions until I was 21. Sheesh.

I'm wondering how you made it through 4 years of college without ever drinking a Natty.

He hung out with people that only ever got drunk on okayish beer like Yuengling? I went to a party house that had Yuengling kegs and it was like heaven compared to having to drink Natty or Beast.

I'm wondering how you made it through 4 years of college without ever drinking a Natty.

Only had natty ice when playing beer pong, I had a bottle of Sam Adams to wash the taste down :P

Real new Englanders drink sam adams :D

• Like 1

Only had natty ice when playing beer pong, I had a bottle of Sam Adams to wash the taste down :P

Real new Englanders drink sam adams :D

Sam Adams isn't horrible by beer standards, and living in New England you can't escape it.

Because it's just keystone and Coors around. I've never even seen a Natty

Than know you are lucky that Natty hasn't infected Texas yet. 

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

For those wondering why Canada, and I imagine why a child at 14 can get a driver's license, there is more to it than appears.

If you live in a town or city, absolutely not going to happen. If you live on a farm 20 miles from town or school most likely not going to happen.

Where it does happen is when you live a considerable distance away from your school and rather than dispatching a huge school bus to pick only you up, the Province allows you to get a provisional driver's license for going to school and home. Another provisional one is for farm work.

Since in Canada you can get a learners at 14, they are basing that if it is undue hardship on you (and the taxpayers) then in certain cases an exception will be made.

Yuengling is my go-to "okay" beer, along with Rolling Rock. My favorite "good beers" would be Blue Moon and Stella Artois, and I do like the Sam Adams Winter Lager.

It's not technically beer, but Angry Orchards hard cider is pretty damn good.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

I know this might be sacrilege, but i think guinness is overhyped among beers. The real thing along with the waterdowned american version aren't as great as marketing makes them.

Blue moon is good, but I recommend de Koninck from belgium, if you're after a nice ale like me.

Edited by W_L

I'm enough of a hipster that my brand of choice is often Brew Dog. Their Punk IPA is tasty. And of course you have to love them for having the audacity to make Tactical Nuclear Penguin, which is a stout that holds 38%. I want to try that one, but have never been able to get hold of a bottle... Trashy Blonde is a good blonde ale of theirs as well. Flying Dog is good too (why all the dogs??), despite being an American brand. :P Raging Bitch is tasty I think. I'm also fond of the Norwegian microbrews Nøgne Ø and Haandbryggeriet. 

My favourite beer ever is Innis & Gunn, though. Soooo good! <3

Edited by Thorn Wilde

This thread most definitely got hijacked. If anyone would like to begin a thread for beers, I would happily chime in with my own choices. But if you start one on trucks, forget it.  :P