ghost towns

Celethiel

It is sad, but some of those building still appeared to be in fairly decent shape.  Amazing.  

I didn't see Centralia, PA though.  It was abandoned because of a fire in the coal mines underneath the city that was emitting poisonous gas.  

B) ...............I've been to 4 of them, yes there is one in Goldfield, Nevada but it is not much to see. Bodie is the best preserved 'ghost' town around with maybe 60 or more buildings and the mine. South of Nevada into the way to California about 15-20 miles out is a spot where gold was mined on both sides of the freeway, one in the hills on the east and one on the west side. The west side is not preserved at all, mostly pits where miners dug straight down into the earth and a few remains of buildings. The eastern side has buildings (a few) and even a outhouse still standing along with a mine dug into a hill.

The cities around Chernobyl in Russia have been abandoned since 1986 and are very eerie.

That day Soviet Authorities had a parade for the children to show everyone that everything was all right.

The next day the radiation was so intense that asphalt was melting on roads.

The evacuation started much too late and people are still dying.

After the Apocalypse / Daily Mail :>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314041/Chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-Eerie-photographs-Helene-Veilleux.html

25 Years After / Buzz Feed :>> http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/50-pictures-of-chernobyl-25-years-after-the-nuclea

I would love to visit some Ghost towns and spend an afternoon photographing them, there is so much history, and in black and white i think they would look amazing. 

I have heard that the natural world has taken over Chernobyl. There actually quite a few towns that have disapeared in the last 200 years much less in human history.... Montana has so many that there have been books published on the Ghost Towns of Montana...

There are at least 2 in Namibia (Kolmanskop, Elizabeth Bay), and the tv series "life after people" actually talks about quite a few abandoned sites around the U.S. and the world.

These things always makes me want to rebuild and restore them to their former glory...

The latter is Broderick Tower, which has been renovated and brought back to life, but the former is Book Tower, which is still abandoned.

Edited by methodwriter85

Many commercial buildings end up abandonned when seized for delinquent property tax. Government can't operate the business, can't rent it, can't maintain it so it sits abandonned until sold.

• 2 weeks later...

Many commercial buildings end up abandonned when seized for delinquent property tax. Government can't operate the business, can't rent it, can't maintain it so it sits abandonned until sold.

my town bought "abandoned buildings" from the previous owners (for taxes etc) Fixed them up and sold them to someone else... now one such building (a Mainstreet building) how has three new businesses in it.. and it started out having a hole in the roof big enough to need a a plastic swimming pool on the bottom floor to keep the leaking water (it's two stories tall :o ) another one they bought and have been fixing up, it's at least 3 stories tall and is an old historic hotel....

Mind you i don't agree with the Means that they did these buy outs... however i do enjoy the sight of the results of at least one of them... (i haven't been in these new businesses, but that's because ones a mesuise, and the other is a small clinic for a discraced doctor who was nearly forced out of the main clinic in town... (i wish he had been i dislike him... the old pill pushing gerk) (i think there is a third one but i don't remember what it is...).

as for the other building, i don't know what's going to end up moving in there, i do know however that they had to tear out a LOT of aspestus, and they wanted to keep as much of the historic interior as possible.

In some places the laws on the books prohibit the government from engaging in commercial activities.

I know of one town that modified their laws to take an old toy factory that had sat empty for over 10 years and make a small business incubator out of it.

Edited by DynoReads

• 2 weeks later...

In Mississippi the railroads made instant ghost towns. When the railroad came through, towns that weren't close to the tracks withered and no serious commerce could be transacted.

A similar thing happened when the interstates were built in the 50s and 60s.