Beware the Flashlight App

MikeL

Never have I ever downloaded a flashlight app on any of my mobiles/tablets/cell phones/smart phones.

If anything I'd use the glow of home screen, but really, I'm pretty sure there's a light switch around whenever I'd need it.

• Site Administrator

Me too.  I really love my 3G phone and my talk only contract.  I don't even text.

I don't text, either.  People always look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that. 

Or just have an iPhone where the app is built in and online predators won't hunt down and molest your children.

It would be nice to have those top ten malware versions listed without having to go to his companies website. If they have this evidence, where's the harm in displaying it on a grand scale to "protect people"? It downplays the honesty of the new story and makes it sound more like a scare tactic to bring people to his website.

• Like 2

Or just have an iPhone where the app is built in and online predators won't hunt down and molest your children.

It would be nice to have those top ten malware versions listed without having to go to his companies website. If they have this evidence, where's the harm in displaying it on a grand scale to "protect people"? It downplays the honesty of the new story and makes it sound more like a scare tactic to bring people to his website.

Mann, I think he was saying that if the app is already installed on your phone it's worse. The apps that are already installed are malware, etc. Unless I misunderstood. 

Wait, by 'already installed flashlight app' does he mean the little flashlight picture on that screen that you get when you swipe up on the iPhone? Or an app like iTunes and the calendar that are already installed when you buy the phone?

I think I'm confusing myself.

The information you are looking for is available free of charge at http://www.snoopwall.com/threat-reports-10-01-2014/  This page lists the Top 10 Android Flashlight Apps and the questionable permissions they require.

If it's too much trouble to click the link, you can do without.

Just kidding.  Here it is:

table1.png

Edited by MikeL
  • Like 2

Mann, I think he was saying that if the app is already installed on your phone it's worse. The apps that are already installed are malware, etc. Unless I misunderstood. 

Wait, by 'already installed flashlight app' does he mean the little flashlight picture on that screen that you get when you swipe up on the iPhone? Or an app like iTunes and the calendar that are already installed when you buy the phone?

I think I'm confusing myself.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but his interview is doing the same. There's no hard facts or list of malware to help consumers without visiting his website. It makes me suspicious.

You're correct about the little flashlight pic that comes with the current iOS of the iPhone. It does the same basic function without special effects.

The information you are looking for is available free of charge at http://www.snoopwall.com/threat-reports-10-01-2014/  This page lists the Top 10 Android Flashlight Apps and the questionable permissions they require.

If it's too much trouble to click the link, you can do without.

OK, OK, here it is:

Thanks for linking this Mike. It is helpful to see what he's talking about. It's also questionable since his site is for selling products to replace these items as well. Threat or no threat.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but his interview is doing the same. There's no hard facts or list of malware to help consumers without visiting his website. It makes me suspicious.

You're correct about the little flashlight pic that comes with the current iOS of the iPhone. It does the same basic function without special effects.

Shit, I use that every night after I turned off all the lights! lol

• Like 2

Thanks for linking this Mike. It is helpful to see what he's talking about. It's also questionable since his site is for selling products to replace these items as well. Threat or no threat.

His flashlight app is free as is other software.

Edited by MikeL

His flashlight app is free as is other software.

Then it may be more legitimate than it appears. Those kinds of reports always make me skeptical. There's a lot of fear-mongering speech and vague details that trigger my want to disbelieve.

• Like 3

Then it may be more legitimate than it appears. Those kinds of reports always make me skeptical. There's a lot of fear-mongering speech and vague details that trigger my want to disbelieve.

And I'm the complete opposite - I'm ready to copy and paste the link and send it to everyone I know! lol

Actually reading the report may alleviate your skepticism.

Actually reading the report may alleviate your skepticism.

I did read the report, thank you. I read a lot of things on the internet, it doesn't make them 100% true.

It's not the report itself that gives me pause, it's the method of delivery that I object to. It's the news report that requires everyone to go their site to view the facts rather than give firm details on the issue and immediately seguewaying into "your children are at risk from predators" to worry people. It comes off as a marketing tactic that I've never been particularly fond of.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with Mann.  Though I am the "trust, but verify" type of person, so I will reserve my opinion until every information necessary is gathered. 

The reason I tend to agree with Mann is, when I look through the picture of the table MikeL shown, a lot of the so-called evidence is actually necessary feature for the app to function (smart phones are very complex things, we must remember).  For example, they list features like take photos and video....  Isn't that the whole purpose of the flash app?  So you can take better photos?  Why does the company even list this? 

The only thing I think might be worrying is allow full network access.  The other things like creating or deleting shortcuts is just convenience feature so people who doesn't know how to properly install/uninstall the app, the app will do it for them.

The app I use is called Flashlight (free version).  There are two of them on the table listed.  Neither has the same icon as mine....  Fishy....  Seems the company is dodging around the legality issue.

The table also lists "prevent devices from sleeping" TWICE.  And both sets of data do not match, so which one should I believe?  And another says "install shortcut" the other says "uninstall shortcut" and yet another says "Write home settings and shortcuts."  Look, if the list is long, it must be credible....  That's a standard scare tactic.

And which channel does that YouTube broadcast the info from?  Is it a homegrown faux news-like ads (aka, infomercial?).

BTW, a lot of anti-malware softwares do the same thing....  They often find stuff that's questionable, but not actually malware (i.e., false positive), so users think their products are better than competitors'.  You really need to go through the list and see the stuff they listed and make some research on them.  Not all of them are malwares!!!!

I am not saying we shouldn't be more careful of the apps we use, because in our time and age, there are indeed lots of weasels..., but I would think we need to be more critical about what we read (i.e., do a lot of fact checking).  There is plenty of sensationalistic misinformation floating around, and Internet is a great format to spread that.  There is no editor-in-chief who checks the fact and acts as conscience (i.e., ethics checker) over blogs and faux news sources, unlike most of the reputable and established publications have.

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 2

It's a FOX News report. The website even marks it as an exclusive.

Fox News report is like the Huffington Post.  'nuff said.

Edited by Ashi

So who's to say just the flashlight app can be susceptible to malware? What about other apps such as GPS apps, mobile banking apps, etc.? Shit, I'm going back to my Motorola flip phone!  :D

• Like 2

So who's to say just the flashlight app can be susceptible to malware? What about other apps such as GPS apps, mobile banking apps, etc.? Shit, I'm going back to my Motorola flip phone!  :D

A big part of the report, and an accurate part, is how many apps "require" access to information that would be irrelevant to its function. Those apps shouldn't be installed at all. Your flip phone is way safer for that. LOL

• Like 2

• Site Moderator

When my old phone decided it didn't want to work anymore, almost a year ago, I got a Galaxy S4. It came with an Assistive light installed. It shows a light bulb and not a flashlight.

• Like 1

Talon  I have a Galaxy S III and it also has the assistive light option and I've never down loaded any flashlight app.   I note that app is not listed in the chart above either.   I think I'm good.  DDK