When Lightning strikes

This is actually common in volcanic eruptions.

Lava is very hot and under high pressure. When it comes out, the pressure is released and there are literally tons of ionized gas and dust particles that are liberated from the magma.

In a Pilnian eruption like this one, the cloud is charged and the lightning that you see occurs as the cloud cools and discharges itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plinian_eruption

This sort of eruption is named after Pilny the Younger who chronicled the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD.

• Like 4

This is actually common in volcanic eruptions.

Lava is very hot and under high pressure. When it comes out, the pressure is released and there are literally tons of ionized gas and dust particles that are liberated from the magma.

In a Pilnian eruption like this one, the cloud is charged and the lightning that you see occurs as the cloud cools and discharges itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plinian_eruption

This sort of eruption is named after Pilny the Younger who chronicled the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD.

I seem to recall Pilny the Elder Died in the Eruption of Mount Vesuvius of ash-inhalation.

Edited by Celethiel
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I find this phenomenon to be really interesting. The Catatumbo Lightning storms happen where the Catatumbo river drains into Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela.

15889783016_1566231a2f_o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the visuals and the science lesson. Great tidbit of knowledge to store in my cluttered mind. You never know when it may come in handy!

so if you're ever near a volcanic eruption, watch out for the lightning storms that come with :P

• Like 1