National Poetry Month

• Site Administrator

April is National Poetry Month in the US.  Similar to NaNoWriMo, NaPoWriMo encourages people to write a poem a day for the month of April.  A friend of mine asked me if I would complete the challenge with her, and I agreed, despite telling myself I wasn't interested in attempting poetry again...lol  It's been a long time since I've attempted to write poetry, but I'm up for the challenge.  Is anyone else participating in NaPoWriMo?  I've made the decision to share what I write here weekly, so next Wed look for the first "chapter" of my "April Musings" (thanks, AC!). 

• Like 5

I didn't know. Thank you for telling me!  I'm trying to join in and will also share mine if all goes well. Look out for 'A fool's thoughts'.

Edited by aditus
  • Like 3

I wish my poetry powers worked that way, but one a day is not possible for me. I'll focus on my latest one and post it here, though. :P

• Like 1

Yes, but I'd like you all to take your April poem-a-day challenge as a good time to crank on those Quatrains! Why..? Well, let me put it this way, the May poetry prompt is an important one - one that all the others have been leading up to. So, now that you are writing a poem everyday, practice on the Quatrain, practice, practice, practice, for the more you do the happier you will be come May ;)   

I've done Found Poetry so far. There are a lot of interesting prompts on the PoMoSco site. My results are, well, weird. I titled one poem Ganymede's Hounds. It has a subtle beauty to its weirdness. I'm not yet sure if I post these weird poems. Reading AC Benus' post, I better turn to Quatrains now anyway.

Wow, did Ganymede have time to tend to dogs, I mean with his official 'cup bearer' duties ;) and all. I bet Zeus could scarey spare the lad for a few minutes, let alone an hour or two...hehe

Unless you mean 'Ganymede' from As You Like It, then maybe he/she could have cavorted with Amiens and his sporting pups :) 

• Like 1

It's different. Here it is: :)

Ganymede’s Hounds

Weary their throats with barking

Calling after their abducted master

Furious, the loyal hounds left -

Grieving Ganymede, the beautiful -

For Mount Olympus, heavenwards

To draw god Zeus, hero-king game

PoMoSco Prompt: Blender

Source Text: Wikipedia, Ganymede, one paragraph

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

No poetry antho for me.  :(  I'm hoping to start writing again tonight to get back on track with NaPoWriMo. 

It's different. Here it is: :)

Ganymede’s Hounds

Weary their throats with barking

Calling after their abducted master

Furious, the loyal hounds left -

Grieving Ganymede, the beautiful -

For Mount Olympus, heavenwards

To draw god Zeus, hero-king game

PoMoSco Prompt: Blender

Source Text: Wikipedia, Ganymede, one paragraph

Ah, nice! It's his shepherd dogs...um, makes me want to get my Ovid and see if he mentions any in the scene :)

Thanks for posting it, I really like it!  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Unfortunately, I haven't written anything since I got sick.  I'll be at a convention for work Wed-Sat, so I doubt I'll have the time to write anything until next week.  :(

Today's Found Poetry experiment was interesting. I generated a new song. I randomly picked lines from Jesus Christ Superstar, then randomly picked another song. Interestingly, the result was Save A Prayer by Duran Duran. I randomly picked lines from this song and inserted them into the the first selection. The result is quite interesting:

Save A Prayer

• Like 1