"it" Movie Remake Finds Its Pennywise

methodwriter85

Will Poulter is the new Pennywise. I'm digging it. You best know him as Kenny in We're the Millers, as well as the bully in the Maze Runner.

I wonder if they are going to keep it a period piece or are they updating it, with "present day" being 2016 (or whatever) and the kid's childhoods being in 1986?

I will be so pissed if they try to Giver-it and make the kids teenagers. Ugh. Please, please don't. I can take a slight 14-year old playing 12. I can't take hunky 25-year olds playing "16." As Super 8 showed, you can do a story about kids and not have to turn them into oversexed high school juniors in order to have a big hit!

On the other end, I'll be annoyed if they try to reduce the thirty-year time lap for the purpose of casting Jennifer Lawrence for Beverly or something. LOL.

I mean, I'd take the latter over the former, if we must have characters in their 20's or 30's. However, this needs to stay about childhood fears. If you make these kids teenagers, it's basically just a rip-off of Nightmare on Elm Street.

In any event, the T.V. movie scared the crap out of me as a little kid, and it's Tim Curry's finest role after Frank. I really hope they do it justice.

Does anyone else remember the t.v. movie/book?

Edited by methodwriter85

• Site Administrator

i still look closely at storm sewer grates a little closely when walking buy them :unsure:

Tim Curry was an amazing actor in so many different movies it is hard to list them all. Pennywise was definitely the scariest.

I love the book.  I was given It as a birthday present when I was 11 - about a year before the TV movie came out.  The first time I read the book, I read It in a weekend.

Even now, nearly 25 year later, I still read it a few times a year, and I still have that same battered well-worn copy from when I was 11.

The novel was so much better than the TV movie.  I've seen the TV movie a few times, but there was just so much cut from the book that some of the things in the movie don't actually make sense unless you've read the book.

There were also a few inconsequential things that were altered around for some unknown reason.  For example. right at the start of the movie the child who is killed was a little girl but in the book that exact same child was a little boy (and the murder doesn't happen at the start of the book, Georgie's murder happens at the start of the book).  In the book the timespan between them as kids and them as adults was 26 years but in the movie it was changed 30 years.   In the book, Beverly has a mum and a dad but in the movie she only has a dad.  It never really made sense to me to make changes like these.

The remake actually stands an excellent chance of being far better than the original.  They would have to get it seriously wrong for me to have my usual opinion of the original being better than the modern day remakes.

I feel very alone in this, but regarding that TV move, it was the first and only time that I had "had it" with a villain.   I do like Tim Curry, but I just wanted to punch Pennywise in the face.  I also remember thinking at the time, that that was not the reaction the director/actor were looking for.  Granted I never read the book.  :-(  Hopefully the new one will be better or at least scare me a little.  Sorry. *Shrugs*

PS - Great... now the Husbear wants to watch IT tonight.  Time to do laundry or something.  lol

I'm skeptical of remakes. While some things can always be done better with advanced tech, Tim Curry was inspired.

I gave up on King after the Dark Tower ended, so I may not watch it anyway.

They have already announced it will be two movies with two different casts. The first will be the kids attacking it. The second is when they come back as adults. I'm not sure I want to see all that King had in the book in the movies. There is some stuff I am glad they left out the first time. Still not sure about Will in the role. He seems really young to pull off the role but time will tell.