Comsie Reviews - Knots By Elias Scott

"Knots" By Elias Scott

Now, while this story has been trucking along for a few years now with constant updates that has put it WELL past 100+ chapters at this point, for the reviews in the Café I try to stick to the rule of only dealing with the first 5 to 10 chapters. But I would definitely recommend that you check out "Knots" Books two through five as well when you get the chance.

"Knots" is the coming of age story that is mainly surrounding the growing feelings of affection between two best friends, Matt and Andy. It's the Summer before their first year of high school, and the feelings of close friendship that they once had for one another are now quickly escalating into something that they don't quite understand yet. But that's the excitement of first love, right? :) That's what makes it so awesome.

Let me say that the whole 'knots' idea is VERY well played out right away in this story. The analogy is well worded in certain spots and it fits the idea of the story perfectly. The relationship between the two boys as friends, slowly coming to grips with their feelings and struggling to keep up, is believable and done with a certain subtlety that I can definitely appreciate. I also really like the idea of addressing 'body issues' among teen boys in this story. Which is something that I haven't really seen done this way before. You get to see them look at each other often, but not really in a 'lustful' or 'sexy' way. More like examining and comparing the other's body to their own. The muscle or the skin tone or penis size. Typical teen boy insecurities. I think it adds this extra hidden erotic tension that caught me by surprise. So kudos on that!

The story is told from multiple points of view, so be prepared for that. The 'switch' is always clearly displayed, so it won't become confusing and you won't get lost as long as you're paying attention. But the POV change goes beyond just Matt and Andy. Their friends, Emily and Gina and Thomas and Dillon and more will all come and go to give their take on the situation as well. So stay alert, as things may get a bit more complicated as you read on.

There were a few things I noticed. So let me put on my usual 'Comsie Nitpicking Helmet'! :P

Even though "Knots" is already a huge series, and I updates frequently (Usually every week or two on average), I felt as though many of the chapters end rather abruptly when I get to the bottom of the page/screen. Not in a 'cliffhanger' sort of way, but sometimes with just a short phrase of dialogue. Or maybe a very brief description that almost makes me feel like the page I was reading got cut off at the very end. Which isn't much of a big deal, since I can always click on the next page to find out what happens next, but I did notice. I think maybe just a few sentences more at the end of these chapters...just a FEW...could maybe soften the blow for readers. Sort of bring an end to the last chapter and maybe set up the next one. A smoother transition, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Also, I'd LOVE to see you get in your characters' heads a little bit more during certain scenes! Because the situations that come up are EXHILARATING...but it's almost like they're over too fast for me! Hehehe! In my head, I'm thinking, "Ohhhh, he could milked that scene for so much more!" For example (no spoilers) there's a scene in that first chapter where they're at the creek, and Andy makes a 'suggestion' about swimming! Hehehe, that's awesome! I think that scene could have gone on for a chapter by itself! The shyness, the curiosity, the fear, the excitement, the discovery...what's going through his head? I always love being able to re-experience the pounding heartbeat, the goosebumps, the shortness of breath, the stuttering speech...just a touch more here and there would really bring a warm glow to scenes like that. In the following chapter, something happens early on that is another perfect opportunity to describe the emotion. A little pain and disappointment can be just as possible when you flesh it out.

I know that sometimes 'less is more'. But sometimes 'MORE is more' too. :)

Normally, I would tell authors to avoid the 'C' word in their writing, unless 'cock' is the only word that will do, hehehe! (Sometimes it is) But I think it's only really used in the character dialogue, which fits for a couple of teenage boys on Summer break. So it seems like a natural part of the story this time around. I've got no complaints! Hehehe!

Anyway, I enjoyed this story, you guys! The rapidly changing point of view perspectives can be a little tricky in some places, but if you pay close attention you'll absorb it all just fine. So follow the link above, check out "Knots" in it's entirety, and be sure to support him by sending a note to let him know what you thought of the story! Cool?

Take care you guys!

Next up? "Priorities" By ATrueFan!  

• Like 3

Comsie

Thanks for reviewing Knots.  A writer is always flattered to have a well respected author review his writing.  I agree with everything you had to say with 20/20 hindsight.  I will keep your comments in mind as I write the next chapters. Lisa has been a big help and didn't start editing until about the middle of the first book of Knots. She's been editing ever since.  She finds things I'd never notice or think of. 

I'm still reading Billy Chase, In a Class by Himself, New Boy in School, and Gone to Daylight.  When I say still reading, I mean off and on because I'm either writing or editing essays for applicants who are applying to college graduate programs.  The pay is good, but it's hindered my reading.

Again thanks for the review and to you and Jim for posting Knots to Shack Nation. Jim is great to work with.

Elias

Comsie, I was just reading your suggestions in the second half of your review again and I think you hit the nail on the head when you made this comment.  "...there's a scene in that first chapter where they're at the creek, and Andy makes a 'suggestion' about swimming! Hehehe, that's awesome! I think that scene could have gone on for a chapter by itself! The shyness, the curiosity, the fear, the excitement, the discovery...what's going through his head? I always love being able to re-experience the pounding heartbeat, the goosebumps, the shortness of breath, the stuttering speech...just a touch more here and there would really bring a warm glow to scenes like that. In the following chapter, something happens early on that is another perfect opportunity to describe the emotion. A little pain and disappointment can be just as possible when you flesh it out.

I really liked "the pounding heart, the goosebumps, the shortness of breath, the stuttering speech."  You summed it up so well.

Elias

Thanks, Elias! I know that I wanted to post this MONTHS ago, but even when things take me forever to finish...I finish. :P

I've read further on than the first five chapters, naturally. Court cases and all, hehehe! I just try to stick to the first five as a rule of thumb. Besides, that's what most readers look for anyway. But if anything I mentioned helped, then awesome. ((Hugz))

• Like 1

Yeah, true. But I LOVE reading! Hehehe, so it's actually fun to catch up on all the awesome stuff that I've been missing these days! I write, but I'm a fan just like you guys. Ya know? :P 

I hope folks take notice and give ya some added support! If you need me, I'll be around!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..