Prompt #543 - First Line

I finally got inspired to write some more Rob. :D

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/timothy-m/timothysterriblepromptstories/54

Oh, and my editor thought it might be more correct (and also more natural) to say "I think it is time for you and me to have a little talk."

What does our resident grammar lady think?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Site Administrator

I finally got inspired to write some more Rob. :D

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/timothy-m/timothysterriblepromptstories/54

Oh, and my editor thought it might me more correct (and also more natural) to say "I think it is time for you and me to have a little talk."

What does our resident grammar lady think?

Sorry, I missed this earlier. A quick way to decide if me or I is correct when it's combined with another pronoun is to rephrase the sentence with just me or I. There's a gobbledygook of rule language (either being the subject doing the action  or the object of the action [me]) as to the why you would use either, but we instinctively know which is correct if we use the following method:

"I think it is time for me to have a little talk." versus "I think it is time for I to have a little talk."

Sometimes the rest of the sentence requires you replace I or me with a plural to make it clear. In that case 'us' replaces me and 'we' replaces I.

"I think it is time for us to have a little talk." versus "I think it is time for we to have a little talk."

Clearer now? Also, I don't write or edit the prompts, just post them, so you can't blame I! ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1