If, as expected, the Raiders move to Las Vegas…

If, as expected, the Raiders move to Las Vegas…  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should they change their name?

• No, they kept the name when they were in Los Angeles, why would they change it now?
    • Yes, they are twice-times Traitors and that’s the name they should use.
    • Yes, but they should use a more appropriate name: Whø®€$.
    • Yes, and it should be the Slot Machines.
    • Yes, the correct name is Losers.
    • Who cares? Mark Davis is just as greedy as his father. Just go away and stay away this time!
    • I have a better suggestion…

After losing both the football Cardinals and the LAmbs, I'm afraid I've pretty much given up the NFL.

Okay, so the only complete game I watched this past season was the Super Bowl...

So I guess if I were to offer a new name for the Raiders it would be GRIFTERS

From the urban dictionary:    A grifter is someone who swindles you through deception or fraud.

• Like 2

The Oakland/Alameda County Coliseum Complex has one of the best locations as far as accessibility is concerned. To the west is I-880, the major north/south East Bay freeway. To the east is the Coliseum Station that serves both Amtrak and BART, which also has an automated connection to the Oakland International Airport.

With both the Warriors and Raiders leaving in a few years, and the A’s needing a new stadium, the complex is likely to undergo some massive changes. It’s possible the A’s will get a new stadium on this site with the old stadium and the arena being demolished. It’s also possible the A’s will get a new stadium near the harbor, but that location has transportation issues much worse than the new Warriors arena. In any case, I expect that there will be many proposals for housing and retail since it’s such a prime location – likely much more upscale than the surrounding area.

Oakland has always been the tougher, working-class step-sister to the very egotistical, self-centered, and glamorous San Francisco. Tomorrow, Oakland will pick itself up and get back to work. Because that’s what Oakland always does.

Don’t even think about returning again, Mark Davis.

New Name for Oakland Raiders after the move, Las Vegas Gamblers :o ....Well we don't want to tie them up with the 2nd largest industry of Vegas, unless you like calling them Las Vegas Hookers   :lol::P

Ask Roger Goodell

mle170330c20170329085517.jpg

The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority is looking for a way to evict the Raiders after the next season. Accountants have pointed out that the City of Oakland loses money by having the Raiders, it costs more in police overtime than the city makes in revenue.

Accountants have also questioned the numbers used to justify Las Vegas’ new stadium. Right now, it’s going to cost each resident (man, woman, and child) $1000 each. When they find out how much it’s going to cost vs how much it will bring in, the Raiders might end up homeless. Mark Davis is an idiot. I pity whatever city the Raiders end up in. Mark and his father, Al, have no loyalty or respect for fans or tradition. Mark Davis will go wherever the money is handed out free to wealthy team owners.

Rome used gladiators to distract the populous from various troubles. The wealthy paid to stage them. These days, the wealthy expect to be paid to ‘allow’ their teams to distract the populous. What idiots we’ve become.

• 4 months later...

Much of the precedent suggests that the name will stay.  Just this offseason, San Diego moved down the road to become the LA Chargers.  The Rams maintained their name moving from St. Louis.  The Colts kept the franchise name when they moved from Baltimore.  In the NBA, the Hornets kept their name when they moved to New Orleans (even though they changed it a few years later).

Overall, I'd expect them to keep the franchise name.  However, although Las Vegas Raiders doesn't sound too bad, it isn't really practical the think of nautical pirates in the desert.  

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 5, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Acid07 said:

Much of the precedent suggests that the name will stay.  Just this offseason, San Diego moved down the road to become the LA Chargers.  The Rams maintained their name moving from St. Louis.  The Colts kept the franchise name when they moved from Baltimore.  In the NBA, the Hornets kept their name when they moved to New Orleans (even though they changed it a few years later).

Overall, I'd expect them to keep the franchise name.  However, although Las Vegas Raiders doesn't sound too bad, it isn't really practical the think of nautical pirates in the desert.  

Following in the long tradition of the LA Lakers and the Utah Jazz. Names don't have to make sense. The NFL did okay with the Browns and the Oilers.

Why do e bother to discuss this? It's all about the Benjamins. A pro team can have a positive impact on a community but that's not their reason for existing.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

Following in the long tradition of the LA Lakers and the Utah Jazz. Names don't have to make sense. The NFL did okay with the Browns and the Oilers.

Why do e bother to discuss this? It's all about the Benjamins. A pro team can have a positive impact on a community but that's not their reason for existing.

True,

The LA Rams and LA Chargers fans would agree with you, but those folk in St. Louis and San Diego who saw their only football team leave might not as they lose part of themselves in the mix as some big and wealthy city took their childhood idols away.

Before Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, the New England Patriots had considered moving to another town, somewhere warmer, where football could make a lot more money for the owners, plus give the perennial team of "Almost got it" to a big win. They weren't the first ones to consider it, the Boston Red Sox had considered moving too, so did a lot of my hometown teams. In the end, they all stuck it out, redoubled their efforts, and did what they needed to do to win.

I know Boston and most of New England has been spoiled over the last decade with victories and accolades, but we also had a very long winter of defeats and "almost victories". Sports fans don't just root for their team in the best of time, we also root for them, because we want to believe in them and believe in ourselves as well, it's almost cathartic.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Sports is one industry that relies on making that personal connection, geographical as well, to tie people to it. I learned that lesson when I moved to NY from California and sports suddenly became important because it was important to people I was in school with. There were Met and Yankee fans as well as the occasional Red Sox fan. There were a few Dolphins fans due to grandparents that had retired there. For me as a transplant part of my identity became the Chargers and Padres. My other two teams, of the four 'major' sports in the US are The Blues and the Warriors. The Chargers made their lone appearance in the super bowl in 1994. The Padres went twice and lost both times in the World Series. The Blues have never won the Stanley Cup. Until recently, with Golden State, I had backed some horrible teams for many, many years. The Padres haven't been winners/relevant for 20 years.

The Davis family exemplifies that no matter the backing or fervor of the fans, they follow the path to bigger bucks. It's why the Chargers abandoned their home of nearly 60 years - and why I abandoned them. I have always felt that the name should be left behind, as the NFL did with the Browns - another fan base royally screwed. To me the Raiders will always be the Oakland Raiders. They don't belong in NV anymore than Cardinals belong in AZ, the Colts in Indianapolis or the fact that the Ravens exist at all. Fan bases should be left with their team name and the franchise should start again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Dabeagle said:

Sports is one industry that relies on making that personal connection, geographical as well, to tie people to it. I learned that lesson when I moved to NY from California and sports suddenly became important because it was important to people I was in school with. There were Met and Yankee fans as well as the occasional Red Sox fan. There were a few Dolphins fans due to grandparents that had retired there. For me as a transplant part of my identity became the Chargers and Padres. My other two teams, of the four 'major' sports in the US are The Blues and the Warriors. The Chargers made their lone appearance in the super bowl in 1994. The Padres went twice and lost both times in the World Series. The Blues have never won the Stanley Cup. Until recently, with Golden State, I had backed some horrible teams for many, many years. The Padres haven't been winners/relevant for 20 years.

The Davis family exemplifies that no matter the backing or fervor of the fans, they follow the path to bigger bucks. It's why the Chargers abandoned their home of nearly 60 years - and why I abandoned them. I have always felt that the name should be left behind, as the NFL did with the Browns - another fan base royally screwed. To me the Raiders will always be the Oakland Raiders. They don't belong in NV anymore than Cardinals belong in AZ, the Colts in Indianapolis or the fact that the Ravens exist at all. Fan bases should be left with their team name and the franchise should start again.

I’m originally from NJ. I’ve been in Vegas since 2004. I’m a hockey nut. We were excited to get the Knights. They are having a great season. The team gives a lot to the city and supporters.

Vegas wants football, but not the Raiders. All about the money... with no loyalty. The family has already threatened, stopped traffic with site. They will no doubt screw Vegas... it’s just a matter of when.

• Haha 1