Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

19 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Its a snappy 16F here in Cincy 

Taking little one to see my elderly folk at work. 

Have a super morning all. 

Hi, Starry! *waves* It's gotten warmer here. It's raining and the snow's melting a bit. Getting cold again after the weekend so will be nice and slippery out there...

Hope you have a good day. :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Good morning and have a good day fellow denizens of the DiC. I’ve got some reading to do, so I’ll see you all later... :) 

I've got about five chapters or so to catch up on too, so I better get about it, and it's a good day to do that.  Only about four inches of snow so far, but it's blowing around, and I have no desire to even open the door.  It's a reading day for sure.  :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Starrynight22 said:

I remember my mother taking my younger sisters and me to the "nursing home" where she worked when we were young.  I never was excited about it, but she insisted that it was important because the older people were lonely and loved to see young children.  I'm not quite to that point yet, but I understand it now.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

I remember my mother taking my younger sisters and me to the "nursing home" where she worked when we were young.  I never was excited about it, but she insisted that it was important because the older people were lonely and loved to see young children.  I'm not quite to that point yet, but I understand it now.

They hardly ever get to see young children. Little is still shy with them but he will be better in a few more visits. 

Plus I'm the boss so it's nice to see how things are on my day off. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Have a superb Saturday everyone. Mine was boring, only a 4-hour class (slept through literally half of it) and spent the rest of the day re-reading The Age of Innocence.

For those living further north or south of the warm tropics, hope the weather is alright with yall :) 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

That's nice to liven up their day with a little visitor. A woman I know visits senior living facilities with therapy pigs.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

That's nice to liven up their day with a little visitor. A woman I know visits senior living facilities with therapy pigs.

Oh that would be awesome. 

We have some therapy dogs that come by every week.  There used to be a lady who brought this tiny mini horse  but we heard through the grapevine she became ill and can no longer make visits.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

3 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Oh that would be awesome. 

We have some therapy dogs that come by every week.  There used to be a lady who brought this tiny mini horse  but we heard through the grapevine she became ill and can no longer make visits.  

I have a friend who's a folk singer who, after he retired (he was a nurse), started visiting senior centres and nursing homes to play and sing songs with them. Been thinking it would be nice to do something similar.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

7 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

They hardly ever get to see young children. Little is still shy with them but he will be better in a few more visits. 

Plus I'm the boss so it's nice to see how things are on my day off. 

These comments remind me of the first time I left school without permission in the 1st grade.  Two days before that I had gone to an “old folk’s” home with a friend and her family and saw how close it was to the school.  That day, it was after school, and my mom didn't show up for 20 min (I was told later during family retelling) — an eternity to a six-year-old.  My intrepid young self decided I liked the stories they told me, those old people.  I walked myself two and a half blocks and went room to room until I found someone awake and asked for a story.  Once discovered, the staff called the school, who notified my parents.  Once my punishment was over, I found ways to go back with permission.  They told me stories and would listen to me gabble on about anything.  It's a good memory of feeling seen and listened to, as well as soaking up their stories and memories.  The therapy went both ways, I guess.

Edited by Y0rite
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

33 minutes ago, Y0rite said:

These comments remind me of the first time I left school without permission in the 1st grade.  Two days before that I had gone to an “old folk’s” home with a friend and her family and saw how close it was to the school.  That day, it was after school, and my mom didn't show up for 20 min (I was told later during family retelling) — an eternity to a six-year-old.  My intrepid young self decided I liked the stories they told me, those old people.  I walked myself two and a half blocks and went room to room until I found someone awake and asked for a story.  Once discovered, the staff called the school, who notified my parents.  Once my punishment was over, I found ways to go back with permission.  They told me stories and would listen to me gabble on about anything.  It's a good memory of feeling seen and listened to, as well as soaking up their stories and memories.  The therapy went both ways, I guess.

That's a really sweet story. Thanks for sharing that. :) 

• Like 3

this one has me laughing a little

have an ex you'd like to "quit buggin you" the zoo in El Paso will name a cockroach after them and then feed it to their meerkats

they'll have the feeding session on their webpage

Edited by mollyhousemouse
fixed the link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

this one has me laughing a little

have an ex you'd like to "quit buggin you" the zoo in El Paso will name a cockroach after them and then feed it to their meerkats

they'll have the feeding session on their webpage

That link led me to a different article, about a car crash... What a cool zoo, though! :gikkle:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..