The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

litmus test Audio pronunciation

noun | LIT-mus-TEST  

Definition

:
a test in which a single factor (such as an attitude, event, or fact) is decisive

It was in the 14th century that scientists discovered that litmus, a mixture of colored organic compounds obtained from lichen, turns red in acid solutions and blue in alkaline solutions and, thus, can be used as an acid-base indicator. Six centuries later, people began using litmus test figuratively. It can now refer to any single factor that establishes the true character of something or causes it to be assigned to one category or another. Often it refers to something (such as an opinion about a political or moral issue) that can be used to make a judgment about whether someone or something is acceptable or not.

I remember doing the literal litmus test in middle school science class. We did it with strips of paper that we dipped in the solution, I think. Didn't know that's what it was actually called at the time, though (for one, we did it in Norwegian, lol!) Only ever knew the figurative meaning. Cool to know that's where the idiom came from. Thanks!

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 5

So, Paul introduced me to this YouTube channel with a girl who runs song lyrics through multiple languages in Google translate (say English > Japanese > Hungarian > Swahili > [...] and on it goes) and then back to English, and I'm laughing so hard!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I remember doing the literal litmus test in middle school science class. We did it with strips of paper that we dipped in the solution, I think. Didn't know that's what it was actually called at the time, though (for one, we did it in Norwegian, lol!) Only ever knew the figurative meaning. Cool to know that's where the idiom came from. Thanks!

We did the same in Canada, too. :D 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

litmus test Audio pronunciation

noun | LIT-mus-TEST  

Definition

:
a test in which a single factor (such as an attitude, event, or fact) is decisive

It was in the 14th century that scientists discovered that litmus, a mixture of colored organic compounds obtained from lichen, turns red in acid solutions and blue in alkaline solutions and, thus, can be used as an acid-base indicator. Six centuries later, people began using litmus test figuratively. It can now refer to any single factor that establishes the true character of something or causes it to be assigned to one category or another. Often it refers to something (such as an opinion about a political or moral issue) that can be used to make a judgment about whether someone or something is acceptable or not.

i had no idea it came from lichen

thanks again tim!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Gonna get ready for bed. Night, DiC! See you tomorrow. :hug: 

'night Thorn.  Sleep well.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Defiance19 said:

Hi all.. Hope you’re all well. 

Today was well and truly hump day.. glad to be homeee...

hiya Def

hope you're able to put it behind you & be ready for tomorrow

9 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

sleep well Thorn

i'll be around off & on tonight 

Edited by mollyhousemouse
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Sleep well,  Thorn! 

10 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hiya Def

hope you're able to put it behind you & be ready for tomorrow

sleep well Thorn

i'll be around off & on tonight 

Hi molly, I will . We had an administrative meeting which dragged on, and made the day extra long. Back to normal tomorrow.. 

8 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Home from the dentist. I much prefer dishing out pain than receiving it. 

Ouch.. hope they gave you the good stuff to take some of the pain away.  Dentists are such a necessary evil.. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

:blushing:

fell asleep on the couch

I woke up at too early o’clock, to find that I had done the same.. smh... 

Good morning, and have a wonderful day all! 

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..