The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

1 hour ago, mollyhousemouse said:

ok....here's a rant.......

high school English teacher to a class reading Hamlet "What does this quote mean?"  (it was Polonius giving Laertes advice on life when he leaves for Paris.)  my student "Shakespeare is written for the reader to interpret in his or her own way."  goes on to say what he thinks it means.

teacher "nope, there is only 1 right answer." so when he gives the "expected" answer, she marked it wrong while the buddy, with the same answer, gets it right....

god save me from these kinds of teachers, how many kids are not going to like ever reading things like this ever again

thanks....rant over.....

That's messed up!

1 hour ago, mollyhousemouse said:

and on that note, i'm off to bed
good night all

Sleep Well, miss molly

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Morning, DiC! Happy Monday, if there is such a thing, lol! :hug: 

8 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

ok....here's a rant.......

high school English teacher to a class reading Hamlet "What does this quote mean?"  (it was Polonius giving Laertes advice on life when he leaves for Paris.)  my student "Shakespeare is written for the reader to interpret in his or her own way."  goes on to say what he thinks it means.

teacher "nope, there is only 1 right answer." so when he gives the "expected" answer, she marked it wrong while the buddy, with the same answer, gets it right....

god save me from these kinds of teachers, how many kids are not going to like ever reading things like this ever again

thanks....rant over.....

and on that note, i'm off to bed
good night all

Oh, this pisses off the artist in me in so many different ways. There is never, ever only one right way to interpret art, whatever the medium, and certainly not the written word. Art is a shared experience, it means different things to different people, and even if it's not what the artist intended (and Shakespeare's been dead for over 400 years, we really have no idea what he thought), it's still a valid interpretation. Ugh. People like that have no business teaching literature...

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Good afternoon everyone. I hope you all have a great day... :) 

hello Reader! it's been a very good day! i had taken it off since i knew Saturday would be rough. went & picked up my new glasses & binged on some Hercule Poirot.

how's your day been?

• Like 5

• Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello Reader! it's been a very good day! i had taken it off since i knew Saturday would be rough. went & picked up my new glasses & binged on some Hercule Poirot.

how's your day been?

So far, so good. Having a coffee break at the moment. Is it weird that my anticipation level for said coffee is through the roof? :unsure:

Speaking of new glasses, I was told mine would take two weeks to be ready which is April 16. I am counting the days...

Glad your day is going well, molly. :) 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Backwoods Boy said:

... appears to be part Vulcan ... :unsure:

LOL. He does looks it. The game he is from, Black Desert Online - Remastered, he's an elf. LOL. I didn't realize he was one, until I changed his hair. The game forces Race/Gender on the class you choose, and I chose Archer. Seems all playable Archers are Male Elves. I find it funny, seeing that I love to play elf characters in games that have them, but didn't realize this was an elf class. LOL.

Also, Vulcans and Romulans are essentially space elves.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Hey, Hunter! Good to see you. Not too bad here. Just got home from playing D&D. How about you?

Hello Thorn! Good to see you as well. DnD sounds fun, but alas it's not for me. Today is a no-call Monday for me, so I'm working (badly) on a few other projects to keep myself productive. 

I feel like one of these days I should just finish a project before I start the next one(s), but what would be the fun in that? :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hunter Thomson said:

Hello Thorn! Good to see you as well. DnD sounds fun, but alas it's not for me. Today is a no-call Monday for me, so I'm working (badly) on a few other projects to keep myself productive. 

I feel like one of these days I should just finish a project before I start the next one(s), but what would be the fun in that? :P 

Oh, I hear ya! I always try to do too much at once.

• Like 3

Just now, Hunter Thomson said:

@Thorn Wilde so much to do, and yet I can't prioritize so I end up doing none. I really should work on this hahaha.

This is me the past couple of weeks. Had so much I needed to write, haven't managed to work on any of it. Spoiled for choice, lol

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Gonna take a shower and then get ready for bed. Night, all! :hug: 

Good night, Thorn.  Sleep well.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..