The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

3 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I would like to express the right to reply as it came up in my notifications, comments on the new READ IT option to add to story chapters. It rather surprised me that anyone would take this negatively, but that only goes to show that you can't predict reactions or cover every angle.

The intention of READ IT is to allow two things: to bookmark where you've read to (without necessarily liking, loving, being angry or sad), and perhaps more importantly to be able to tell authors I read your chapter (page views don't equal read chapters). 

Having been involved in this discussion in several places, I'd like to add a few observations.  There was nothing wrong with the intention of the check mark, but before the comments on that thread were finished, the intended use by some as nothing more than a polite poo was crystal clear.  Given that, I believe that the added icon was rushed to implementation without adequate thought of the potential use.  The check mark as a placeholder is a personal tool that might well be available throughout the text and visible only to the user who put it there.  As a retired programmer, I know how difficult even the first part of that would be, as Myr indicated.  It ain't likely to happen.

If I click the READ IT button I'm letting the author know I'm reading his/her story, I'm not telling the person who wrote it, "your story is shit." Really, if I thought that, I wouldn't be reading it, and I'd keep those thoughts to myself.

Precisely.  Including any icons.

I was told my first venture into writing was absolute crap, to go away and come back when I'd learnt how to write, so I know what criticism feels like.

Welcome to the party, something perhaps worth discussing in private at another time.

2 hours ago, Philippe said:

Woah, I feel as if I stepped in an ant bed; the political and emotional aspects of this option are beyond my awareness and I have not researched the item now available. I just see the label assigned to the emoticon and thought it a great option.

Am I missing an introduction to this option that implies or states it is a negative 👎 opinion or reflection on the comments?

You didn't miss any introduction, just a few semi-hidden trip hazards, which I hope @Brayon and I have made more visible.

I'm sorry if you interpret READ IT as a negative impression for a story, I think it adds value to the other buttons, when you click LIKE or LOVE, and all I can say is what was intended. The symbol of a tick is surely positive. We wouldn't really add a negative button, but obviously some of you see it that way, perhaps you might try to see it positively?

As @Brayon said, it's politics, and the emotion that goes with the politics.  Speaking for myself, before the check mark was out of the gate, it had too much baggage to view positively.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, Kitt said:

Afternoon all.  Took doc's advice an put in for a few days off. Seems i managed to pull a hamstring.  Got lots done yesterday. 13 pints of spiced cranburries and 7 pints of fresh applesauce ready for the freezer. Hubby said, and I quote, "Yum, but i don't think that is what he meant by take a few days off."

Take care of yourself.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Starrynight22 said:

Hello all.  I feel like I haven't been around GA for a while.  

Though I pop in on Friday's because Sasha has been posting again.  And I have an admittedly strong fascination with the COH stories 

Starry you have been missed. Please take care of yourself.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

excuse me please Sirs, and Good DiC friends - So how has your day or evening been? The bewitching hour is close at hand ...

CD04DBE3-9060-484C-AAA4-889945011154.jpeg

hi rick
was a very busy day at work, i felt a bit like a hamster on a wheel, and it's nasty cold here now too
how are you?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, MichaelS36 said:

tim had his year end meeting...I am very proud of him. His senior management see his effort and worth. 

That's awesome! Congrats tim!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, MichaelS36 said:

tim had his year end meeting...I am very proud of him. His senior management see his effort and worth. 

oh Michael Sir, that's wonderful! it's good to see you 
please tell him congratulations from me!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, mollyhousemouse said:

oh Michael Sir, that's wonderful! it's good to see you 
please tell him congratulations from me!

Nice seeing you, molly pop.  Hope all is well. 

• Love 3

1 minute ago, mollyhousemouse said:

thank You Sir
busy but not chaotic, so that's good
how are You?

Hanging in there.  I have a longish day tomorrow so I will say goodnight.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

excuse me Michael Sir but that is great news for both you and tim. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hi rick
was a very busy day at work, i felt a bit like a hamster on a wheel, and it's nasty cold here now too
how are you?

molly we are having cold and rainy weather. Work is real busy trying to fit training and working my regular job. i feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. So hoping things get better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

molly we are having cold and rainy weather. Work is real busy trying to fit training and working my regular job. i feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. So hoping things get better.

same weather here rick, it's awful! 
i understand about that feeling at work i hope it gets better soon

• Like 1

Just now, mollyhousemouse said:

same weather here rick, it's awful! 
i understand about that feeling at work i hope it gets better soon

thanks molly they say we are all doing real good with the training. So taking it a day at a time.

i will take rain over snow any day. The farmer almanac states we will get a heavy winter.  So things going ok with you?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

thanks molly they say we are all doing real good with the training. So taking it a day at a time.

i will take rain over snow any day. The farmer almanac states we will get a heavy winter.  So things going ok with you?

yeah, the rain you don't have to shovel but it makes my joints ache all the same.  we'll have a light freeze tonight :( 
other than that, things are going pretty well. work is still really busy, we'll probably have another record month once billing is done tomorrow but our manager is big on rewarding hard work so we've had a couple of celebrations

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

yeah, the rain you don't have to shovel but it makes my joints ache all the same.  we'll have a light freeze tonight :( 
other than that, things are going pretty well. work is still really busy, we'll probably have another record month once billing is done tomorrow but our manager is big on rewarding hard work so we've had a couple of celebrations

So is our company they treat us really good. Tomorrow is our monthly lunch they provide for us and they have a open health fair with free flu shots. This year they are doing wellness points so we get a chance to earn $$$ For watching our health and going to the doctor.  Very easy to earn the points and it comes in handy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Starrynight22 said:

Thanks Rick.  Hope you're staying warm tonight.  Its cold and rainy in our part of the world 

Well the fireplace is blazing and the wine is open and I’m feeling good. So you adoinf I’m starry?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Well the fireplace is blazing and the wine is open and I’m feeling good. So you adoinf I’m starry?

I'm doing just fine here.  No wine. Or fireplace.  I'm trying to decide my Halloween outfit for work tomorrow.  I know... Leaving it late.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I'm doing just fine here.  No wine. Or fireplace.  I'm trying to decide my Halloween outfit for work tomorrow.  I know... Leaving it late.  

Put your hair in pig tails and jeans and a flannel shirt and go as the farmers daughter ... maybe put a few freckles on your cheeks 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickproehl said:

Put your hair in pig tails and jeans and a flannel shirt and go as the farmers daughter ... maybe put a few freckles on your cheeks 

Lol.  I would except I don't own a flannel and I haven't enough hair for pigtails. 

Perhaps next year!

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..