The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

A little good news ... The Toronto Star newspaper, which you can read online. Like most offer 4 stories a month free, to read  more you need to pay ... is offering free access to stories and updates about Covid-19. 

That should not be something that bring tears, but it is stupidly has. Finally, a drop of generosity in a sea of greed.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/coronavirus.html

And bit of a breakthrough:  https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/03/12/sunnybrook-researchers-isolate-covid-19-coronavirus.html

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 5

Well, it looks like my schedule has been cleared. Don't have to ride the bus cross country today, and my appointments we cleared. Walmart this morning was INSANE, but what can I say.

Time to edit a little an 11 chapter story, and work on chapter 2 of the follow up to it. Already have schoolwork done for the week.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Our nephew, who lives in downtown Toronto cannot find toilet paper anywhere locally.  I looked online, and no one has it. So what is a toilet paperless boy to do?  Having to shower after doing the deed is a bit annoying, so ... while Amazon cannot offer 12 rolls of T.P for under $80.00, he bought a bidet seat for his toilet.

He also said he cannot buy cleaning products, hand sanitizer, or bleach ... but that there were gallons of vinegar and salt around ... smart boy.

tim poor nephew we had a talk at work about this. They had some out of the box thinking and came up with a few options. Paper napkins , roll of paper towels and when all else fails baby wipes all of those items are fully stocked on shelves. good luck 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • Site Moderator
40 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

tim poor nephew we had a talk at work about this. They had some out of the box thinking and came up with a few options. Paper napkins , roll of paper towels and when all else fails baby wipes all of those items are fully stocked on shelves. good luck 

I saw flushable wipes in the baby section (no stone unturned, don’t you know). Paper napkins and facial tissue are good options, too. I wouldn’t recommend paper towels unless you’re going to throw them in the garbage because they’ll clog the toilet. :whistle:

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
25 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Wipes are not paper ... and are not really flushable.  Most of them contain plastics (polyester) ... they are awful things, unnecessary and terrible for our sewers and the environment. They take forever to breakdown.

They say flushable right on the package, but you make an excellent point as to their true nature. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

They say flushable right on the package, but you make an excellent point as to their true nature. 

i know ... paper towels can be flushed.. as can other things, but it doesn't mean we should. Sadly, i watch too many documentaries .. one recent one of sanitation workers in the sewers.. pulling out huge amounts of 'flushable' wipes, covered in and used for, lord only knows, by hand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I was fully booked to transport horses to shows for the next month. That's 6 horses in 2 trailers both Saturday and sunday. Customers have been cancelling one horse at a time all week. This weekend I am down to 2 horses on sunday. I keep checking for the show management to cancel, but not yet. I think that is because if you scratch after registration close date you do not get a refund. That means if my two customers are the only ones to show up, the show still makes money. No incentive to cancel and with fewer that 100 entries no state mandate.

• Like 4

went & got some fresh air & sunshine today at the first Second Saturday Marketplace in the town square. it was good to see bottles of hand sanitizer in vendors booths, people being careful,  but supporting small businesses. heading to the grocery store i'll let you know how that goes when i get back.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MichaelS36 said:

That affects your bottom line too … sorry about that, Kitt.  People are nervous

I dont count it as a loss since I have put nothing in yet. I know they will call me again once the panic subsides.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

Him and others like him deserve what they get. People like these disgust me. 

The one featured in The Star (the couple from Vancouver) came across as so proud of themselves, too. I googled the man’s name and found a thread on Reddit that was definitely not praising their entrepreneurial skills. If any of these people doing this have social media accounts, they’re going to get roasted, and rightfully so. 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
16 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Our nephew, who lives in downtown Toronto cannot find toilet paper anywhere locally.  I looked online, and no one has it. So what is a toilet paperless boy to do?  Having to shower after doing the deed is a bit annoying, so ... while Amazon cannot offer 12 rolls of T.P for under $80.00, he bought a bidet seat for his toilet.

He also said he cannot buy cleaning products, hand sanitizer, or bleach ... but that there were gallons of vinegar and salt around ... smart boy.

Just got back from the grocery store. The TP, Paper towels and napkins are completely sold out here, too. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

The one featured in The Star (the couple from Vancouver) came across as so proud of themselves, too. I googled the man’s name and found a thread on Reddit that was definitely not praising their entrepreneurial skills. If any of these people doing this have social media accounts, they’re going to get roasted, and rightfully so. 

Yeah, Mr. and Mrs  We're Hustlers … horrible people.  I get making a profit … but gouging your friends and neighbours? Taking advantage of their fear and worry. 

• Like 4
Just now, Reader1810 said:

Just got back from the grocery store. The TP, Paper towels and napkins are completely sold out here, too. 

I saw none yesterday. I managed to get some of the meat I went out for. But there was very little on the shelves … zero TP and the pasta aisle was bare. 

We have enough on hand ourselves.  Never seen the like before. 

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..