Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

6 minutes ago, dughlas said:

What have you planted.

Beets, carrots, leeks, and radishes. I also have oregano, basil, chives, and sage in pots. I thought I might add potatoes and fennel later.   :)

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, dughlas said:

A south facing wall should allow an earlier start next spring. Are your winters mild enough to overwinter cool weather crops if you have a sheltered space?

Usually they are, due to the influence of the warm gulf stream off the Atlantic Coast. But I have experienced a couple of winters when the temperature has dropped below -10°C (14°F).

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1

We have Beets and Radishes so far but we cant plant much till may the 15th:yes: Garlic and Onions and asparagus and horseradish:yes:

We have Pear tree and apricot and peaches.:yes:

Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Marty said:

I assume you mean the wall, clo (not walk).

It will, indeed! :thumbup:

And it's a south facing wall, so it is facing the sun. Something I'd like eventually would be to build a lean-to greenhouse attached to that wall... :) 

Yes that's what I meant (autocorrect has been a pain lately :rolleyes:). A greenhouse would be nice, especially with Ireland's weather ;)

• Love 5

This year I was careful not to sow too much and too early but now my tomatoes are a bit late imo. And with the potatoes taking all the space in the greenhouse at the moment I'm a bit lost in my usual organisation. The garden center reopened today and they are selling tomatoes plants on sale for less than 2€ so I'm thinking about buying a plant or 2 of heritage varieties like Coeur de Boeuf and Black Krim.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, clochette said:

This year I was careful not to sow too much and too early but now my tomatoes are a bit late imo. And with the potatoes taking all the space in the greenhouse at the moment I'm a bit lost in my usual organisation. The garden center reopened today and they are selling tomatoes plants on sale for less than 2€ so I'm thinking about buying a plant or 2 of heritage varieties like Coeur de Boeuf and Black Krim.

I thought the potatoes were in containers (wash baskets, did you say?).

Couldn't you move those out of the greenhouse? Or are you still expecting frosts? :unsure2:

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

I want to plant potatoes this year:yes:

Living at the altitude you do, I would assume you'd not have to worry about potato blight...

The highest point on the whole island of Ireland, is a mountain in County Kerry, called Carrauntoohil. It's 3,407 ft above sea level (or 1,038.6 metres), which means you're over 1,500 feet higher. :o 

Edited by Marty
Flipping typos!
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Marty said:

I thought the potatoes were in containers (wash baskets, did you say?).

Couldn't you move those out of the greenhouse? Or are you still expecting frosts? :unsure2:

Yes they are in the greenhouse but they'll go out soon. The Tom's will go in the greenhouse. The thing is space. All is growing in to containers as the garden is actually a terrace (with a big umbrella in the center and I've got to let some space for the BBQ and to access it). I hadn't planned on having so many potatoes... 

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Garlic and Onions and asparagus and horseradish:yes:

Asparagus is another one that I thought about growing, and I've heard that planting onions and potatoes from your pantry will cause them to grow into a new plant.   :yes:

13 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

These are Potatoes from Peru

I've thought about growing different varieties of potatoes like those. I imagine they're much hardier than the Russets or reds I normally buy at the store.   :)

• Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..