Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

13 hours ago, Marty said:

A few hours before sunset this evening I decided to take a stroll up to the wind turbines on the mountain near me.

Here's a view back before I reached the summit plateau:

Lough-Allen.jpg

That's the northern end of Lough Allen, which is the first big lake on the River Shannon. At a total length of 361 km (224 miles), the River Shannon is the longest river in the whole of both Ireland and Britain.

Breathtaking,  I'll wager it's impressive in monotone as well.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

Who is Hugh?

The guy in the videos. With his wife they share really cool recipes like alcoholic beverages, soap making, preserving and gardening tips. 

Edited by clochette
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

I laugh/smile at your description of yourself, though I am sorry for the situation with the cats and kittens. It was rare that the kittens our barn cat had each spring were still around come autumn. They typically left for parts unknown. I attribute the fact your clowder remains close to home to your feeding them and attention. Except for mama Mousetrap, who was affectionate, ours tended to be feral. 

A lot of mine are feral, but they tend to come around... at least some of them do. A few even let me pick them up after a time... but only briefly. Morning, bro. :hug:  Love the name Mousetrap. Think I'll use it. :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Something has them spooked. They ones left are way more cautious and stay hidden when I feed. Also, turkeys are sleeping in the middle of my paddock the last three days... four of them doze and two stay alert. I haven't noticed this behavior before. Makes me think there is a predator in my woods and the surrounding woods. :( 

It certainly sounds like it...

• Wow 1
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

Awesome cat name :yes:

2 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

It’s a great name

She was a very good little mouser. Kept the barn mostly free of mice. Pleased my dad as they never had chance to bother the feedbox.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Something has them spooked. They ones left are way more cautious and stay hidden when I feed. Also, turkeys are sleeping in the middle of my paddock the last three days... four of them doze and two stay alert. I haven't noticed this behavior before. Makes me think there is a predator in my woods and the surrounding woods. :( 

Seems likely. Watch for signs on your jaunts with Cookie.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

It's ridiculously hot this morning... the air is humid and heavy. I'm staying inside as much as I can. :) 

It's particularly uncomfortable here today. Currently 86/30° with a dewpoint of 72 making it feel like 94/34°. I was hoping to do some work outside today. I had started but had to run a brief errand when we got back I decided it was just too hot. Since then my head has begun to ache so it just as well we're being lazy.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..