Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

1 minute ago, Timothy M. said:

Here you go @Thorn Wilde  and @Albert1434

Reveal hidden contents

Enebærgryde (Juniper & Rosemary Stew)
1 kilo (2,2 pounds) of pork, chicken or turkey cut in stripes or chunks
6-8 dried juniper berries and 1/2-1 teaspoon dried rosemary ground to powder with a mortar and pestle
5 dl cream (the kind you make whipped cream from)
5 dl creme fraiche = sour cream (the recipe says 38%, but I always use 18% - you may want to check out what the exact equivalent of Danish creme fraiche is)
1 teaspoon salt
pepper
Maizena or other means of thickening sauce

Lightly sear the meat on a hot pan until all sides are light brown. Put into deep saucepan. Add a little water to frying pan and pour over meat. Add cream and sour cream (original recipe says o.5 pints of each, but I always double the amount, cause the sauce is the best part).

Grind juniper berries and rosemary as finely as possible and add to sauce together with salt and freshly ground pepper. Leave to simmer for 1 hour if pork and 1/2 hour if chicken or turkey.

In Denmark we have this special food color to make sauces brown and I add a little of this to make the sauce light brown. I also thicken the sauce with maize flour or ordinary flour stirred with water.

The original recipe from Arla says serve with baked mashed potatoes, but I always serve with rice. If I have time I also make a green salad and a salad from sliced tomatoes and chopped onions with an oil-and-vinegar dressing.

Original recipe in Danish: https://www.arla.dk/opskrifter/enebargryde-med-bagt-kartoffelmos/
I found a picture on Pinterest, and I think there is a recipe in English too. It's with mashed potatoes, but rice is so much better IMO.

Wow thanks so much Tim:kiss::kiss: 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Here you go @Thorn Wilde  and @Albert1434

Hide contents

Enebærgryde (Juniper & Rosemary Stew)
1 kilo (2,2 pounds) of pork, chicken or turkey cut in stripes or chunks
6-8 dried juniper berries and 1/2-1 teaspoon dried rosemary ground to powder with a mortar and pestle
5 dl  = 1 pint of cream (the kind you make whipped cream from)
5 dl = 1 pint of creme fraiche = sour cream (the recipe says 38%, but I always use 18% - you may want to check out what the exact equivalent of Danish creme fraiche is)
1 teaspoon salt
pepper
Maizena or other means of thickening sauce

Lightly sear the meat on a hot pan until all sides are light brown. Put into deep saucepan. Add a little water to frying pan and pour over meat. Add cream and sour cream (original recipe says 0.5 pints of each, but I always double the amount, cause the sauce is the best part).

Grind juniper berries and rosemary as finely as possible and add to sauce together with salt and freshly ground pepper. Leave to simmer for 1 hour if pork and 1/2 hour if chicken or turkey.

In Denmark we have this special food color to make sauces brown and I add a little of this to make the sauce light brown. I also thicken the sauce with maize flour or ordinary flour stirred with water.

The original recipe from Arla says serve with baked mashed potatoes, but I always serve with rice. If I have time I also make a green salad and a salad from sliced tomatoes and chopped onions with an oil-and-vinegar dressing.

Original recipe in Danish: https://www.arla.dk/opskrifter/enebargryde-med-bagt-kartoffelmos/
I found a picture on Pinterest, and I think there is a recipe in English too. It's with mashed potatoes, but rice is so much better IMO.

Ooh, sounds so tasty! Definitely gonna make that some time. Thank you! :) 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
Just now, Timothy M. said:

Thanks, I hope you try it out and let me know what you think. Rice is the best, I only ever ate it with the oven-baked mashed potatoes twice, and I didn't like it much, even though I normally love home-made mashed potatoes.

Last night we ate fish fingers and mash. I made the mash home-made with potato and sweet potato. Really nice combination. Sometimes I use carrots or swedish turnip as well. Less starchy, so a tad more healthy. Well, until I add a metric fucktonne of butter, that is. :P 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..