Hankering for something in the vain of Kandric Saga

Stumbling across Kandric Saga by Kyle Aarons is what sparked me into joining this site in the first place., as well as what finally prompted me to try my hand at original fiction instead of fan fiction. I loved the care that went into the world building and the magic system. I love the cast of characters. I especially appreciate how none of them are easily definable as good or bad, but just flawed people trying to live by their own worldviews. It also helps that its written quite well and gives you quite a lot to dig through with each chapter. 

Alas, updates for the Kandric Saga do not seem to be on the horizon any time soon. In the mean time I'm craving stories of a similar vain that I can dig through.

What stories on this site might serve to scratch this particular itch? I'm looking for something along the lines of an Adventure High Fantasy story, preferably not in a modern setting. Much like with Kandric Saga, I'd prefer something with a hard/clearly defined magic system and characters that are not easily defined as good or evil at a glance. 

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Demented
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2020 at 12:07 PM, Demented said:

Stumbling across Kandric Saga by Kyle Aarons is what sparked me into joining this site in the first place., as well as what finally prompted me to try my hand at original fiction instead of fan fiction. I loved the care that went into the world building and the magic system. I love the cast of characters. I especially appreciate how none of them are easily definable as good or bad, but just flawed people trying to live by their own worldviews. It also helps that its written quite well and gives you quite a lot to dig through with each chapter. 

Alas, updates for the Kandric Saga do not seem to be on the horizon any time soon. In the mean time I'm craving stories of a similar vain that I can dig through.

What stories on this site might serve to scratch this particular itch? I'm looking for something along the lines of an Adventure High Fantasy story, preferably not in a modern setting. Much like with Kandric Saga, I'd prefer something with a hard/clearly defined magic system and characters that are not easily defined as good or evil at a glance. 

This isn't really a genre that I would say is top of my list, so I'm not sure if any suggestions I might make would be suitable for you, @Demented, especially as most of the suggestions I have only skimmed through... :unsure2:

Widderkin, by @Palantir, might interest you. Here's Palantir's story blurb: "Keiran, banished from the Elven Realms, faces curious happenings across different worlds."

Another possibility might be The Elf's Hunt, by @Yeoldebard. This one, at least, has mention of at least one character (the protagonist) who is not easily definable as good or bad at a glance, as you put it. To quote part of the story blurb: "Hope is a rogue. But that doesn't mean he's bad. Not that the world cares. All they see is a demon trying to corrupt the world. [....Elliun [an elf] doesn't care if a tiefling has a soul. A demon is a demon, as far as he's concerned. But when a palace he has been hired to protect is burglarized, he soon finds that not every demon is a monster."

There's a slight possibility that some of the stories in @Geron KeesCharlie Boone series may have some of the elements you are looking for, as well. Though set in the modern world, Charlie and his friends do have a tendency to meet some interesting magical, and other worldly, characters, and not always good ones (at least on first impressions), during their various, and varied, adventures.

As a final suggestion, you could perhaps head over to the main GA stories page, and apply filters at the top to narrow down to the sort of story/stories that might interest you. The filters aren't perfect, but they can make it easier than trying to dig through every one of the current 357 pages of stories on GA.

Here's one suggestion as to how you might use the filters in your case:

https://gayauthors.org/stories/browse/?filter_genres=2,4,5&filter_tags=10,13,14,18&filter_statuses=1&

At the moment it brings the number of (completed) story pages to be looked through down to a more manageable 15.

(Hope this helps)

Edited by Marty
Tidying up
  • Like 1

As my story has been called into this, I would like to suggest another story I am working on.

The Nekromancer is about a catfolk who is learning to navigate the world after being freed from his master. Due to the effects of his magic, and the way he has been brought up, he does have a hard time with morality.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

As my story has been called into this, I would like to suggest another story I am working on.

The Nekromancer is about a catfolk who is learning to navigate the world after being freed from his master. Due to the effects of his magic, and the way he has been brought up, he does have a hard time with morality.

Oooh I'll check that out! I got a story with my own version of a cat person as well. 

3 hours ago, Marty said:

This isn't really a genre that I would say is top of my list, so I'm not sure if any suggestions I might make would be suitable for you, @Demented, especially as most of the suggestions I have only skimmed through... :unsure2:

Widderkin, by @Palantir, might interest you. Here's Palantir's story blurb: "Keiran, banished from the Elven Realms, faces curious happenings across different worlds."

Another possibility might be The Elf's Hunt, by @Yeoldebard. This one, at least, has mention of at least one character (the protagonist) who is not easily definable as good or bad at a glance, as you put it. To quote part of the story blurb: "Hope is a rogue. But that doesn't mean he's bad. Not that the world cares. All they see is a demon trying to corrupt the world. [....Elliun [an elf] doesn't care if a tiefling has a soul. A demon is a demon, as far as he's concerned. But when a palace he has been hired to protect is burglarized, he soon finds that not every demon is a monster."

There's a slight possibility that some of the stories in @Geron KeesCharlie Boone series may have some of the elements you are looking for, as well. Though set in the modern world, Charlie and his friends do have a tendency to meet some interesting magical, and other worldly, characters, and not always good ones (at least on first impressions), during their various, and varied, adventures.

As a final suggestion, you could perhaps head over to the main GA stories page, and apply filters at the top to narrow down to the sort of story/stories that might interest you. The filters aren't perfect, but they can make it easier than trying to dig through every one of the current 357 pages of stories on GA.

Here's one suggestion as to how you might use the filters in your case:

https://gayauthors.org/stories/browse/?filter_genres=2,4,5&filter_tags=10,13,14,18&filter_statuses=1&

At the moment it brings the number of (completed) story pages to be looked through down to a more manageable 15.

(Hope this helps)

The Filter system is rather unyielding imo. If there were anything I'd have a complaint about with regards to this site, it would be the story search functions. I am sure there are plenty of stories on here I'd find to my liking, but actually getting the search bar to give me the goods is another matter entirely. I don't think I've ever dealt with a search engine playing 'hard to get' like this one does lol. 

I'll give those suggestions a peek! Thanks again for the responses! 

• Love 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 8:07 PM, Demented said:

This sounds so...boastful but I consider this story I'm working on as Epic/High Fantasy given that I had to make so much research in re-creating a new world. And yes, the Kandric Saga is an epic story. I've read it almost ten years ago and the big skip between updates really made me forget the main plot. So, if I have time, I might re-read it again soon. I also saw your project and I could relate. I'll give it a go once I finish the first book of my story. I do hope you can check it out. And maybe, we can give each other constructive criticisms.

Creating our own world is a fascinating project. And sometimes, I wish I could literally visit inside it to see what it would look like. LOL. I'm a fan of hard magic systems and I took notes from Brandon Sanderson to give it a balance. Eventually, I plan to make my own language but I might need help from a professional linguist. JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, George RR Martin, Brandon Sanderson and JK Rowling are mostly my huge inspiration for creating this project. 

When it comes to characters, I don't like putting everything in "good" and "evil." Rather, I'd like all of the characters to be in the gray area wherein each person is capable of doing "good" and "evil." Even the main antagonist I have in mind is not necessarily "evil." I really think that antagonists who have so much humanity and redeeming qualities in them are the best kind of antagonists. 

Edited by Solus Magus
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Solus Magus said:

This sounds so...boastful but I consider this story I'm working on as Epic/High Fantasy given that I had to make so much research in re-creating a new world. And yes, the Kandric Saga is an epic story. I've read it almost ten years ago and the big skip between updates really made me forget the main plot. So, if I have time, I might re-read it again soon. I also saw your project and I could relate. I'll give it a go once I finish the first book of my story. I do hope you can check it out. And maybe, we can give each other constructive criticisms.

Creating our own world is a fascinating project. And sometimes, I wish I could literally visit inside it to see what it would look like. LOL. I'm a fan of hard magic systems and I took notes from Brandon Sanderson to give it a balance. Eventually, I plan to make my own language but I might need help from a professional linguist. JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, George RR Martin, Brandon Sanderson and JK Rowling are mostly my huge inspiration for creating this project. 

When it comes to characters, I don't like putting everything in "good" and "evil." Rather, I'd like all of the characters to be in the gray area wherein each person is capable of doing "good" and "evil." Even the main antagonist I have in mind is not necessarily "evil." I really think that antagonists who have so much humanity and redeeming qualities in them are the best kind of antagonists. 

Sounds like this will be right up my alley then! I will give it a look! 

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on my little stories. If there is one thing I enjoy it's people experiencing something I created. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Demented said:

Sounds like this will be right up my alley then! I will give it a look! 

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on my little stories. If there is one thing I enjoy it's people experiencing something I created. 

Likewise. I already read a couple of chapters that's why it's already on my list. My Chance Valentine is the same age as your Kotik. But I'm not really sure if they'll be friends if ever they met. LOL! 😅

More than just a great plot, I really enjoy stories that makes me think in a philosophical manner. As a frustrated writer, nothing else frustrates me more when books that actually makes you think are given less attention compared to books with a bland plot just because people in this era can be a bunch of lazy thinkers. I hope that books with great plot and worlds can be marketed back into the mainstream.