[Vlista] Cameron Chapter 11

That was definitely unexpected!!!

I see a looming possible issue though. If Cameron and his mother bury the hatchet, what happens to Cameron and Cole? Would Mr. Harris send Cameron to live with his mother? I'm assuming that she doesn;'t live in the area.

Great chapter Vance!

That other goat always beats me in posting here. Arrggh! :angry:

As for you, Vance, :angry: you couldn't include a lousy 15 minute conversation before ending that chapter??? :2hands: I mean, you still could have had a cliffhanger ending, you know. Listen:

"Well, Cameron, it's like this. I'm really the Queen of an alien planet. Several years ago, there was a rebellion. Many people died. I had been sent here to earth for my own safety. But I had to leave when it became time to put down the rebellion. My people needed me. Even though your father was an ass, I couldn't have taken you with me. It would have been too dangerous. I'm so sorry. But things are so much better now. I want you to return there with me! One day you will be King!"

Shall I continue? :lmao:

Hugs,

Conner :P

That other goat always beats me in posting here. Arrggh! :angry:

I have no idea who you could possibly be referring to? 0:)

As for you, Vance, :angry: you couldn't include a lousy 15 minute conversation before ending that chapter??? :2hands: I mean, you still could have had a cliffhanger ending, you know. Listen:

"Well, Cameron, it's like this. I'm really the Queen of an alien planet. Several years ago, there was a rebellion. Many people died. I had been sent here to earth for my own safety. But I had to leave when it became time to put down the rebellion. My people needed me. Even though your father was an ass, I couldn't have taken you with me. It would have been too dangerous. I'm so sorry. But things are so much better now. I want you to return there with me! One day you will be King!"

Shall I continue? :lmao:

Conner, that was hilarious!!! Talk about a long-distance relationship for Cameron and Cole! :P

Edit: I forgot to say in my original post that one of my favorite parts of this chapter was Cameron's smiling when Cole was mentioned, and hearing that Cole did the same. :great:

Edited by C James

Wow :2thumbs: Is it possible that you will actually have a positive birth parent in a story? Only time will tell as you cleverly didn't give us the foggiest idea(and I mean Penobscot Bay fog) of where she was coming from. What a great chapter. I also was especially warmed by the time with Jesse in the bathroom. It was a great counter balence to the shock in the office to have such sweet things said about his relationship with Cole.

Got to wait a whole week eh? Pax. Steve s/v Gandalf

Wow Vance! I really loved this chapter!

I really didn't see the whole mom thing coming up, but I guess we should have figured it was a possibility. The story might even have felt a little less complete without some explanation of what's going on with mom. A very thoughtful touch! It also creates so many possibilities I can't begin to guess what's going to happen next (Okay I'm probably going to try anyway :boy: )

I see a looming possible issue though. If Cameron and his mother bury the hatchet, what happens to Cameron and Cole? Would Mr. Harris send Cameron to live with his mother? I'm assuming that she doesn;'t live in the area.

I was assuming that she's now moved back to the area. I hadn't thought there would really be any complications with Cole unless he does end up living with her and she doesn't approve or something. I also somehow don't see Cameron moving in with her right away. I think it's definitely a possibility for the end of the story, but I think it would work out something like, "let's take some time to get to know each other before we live together" sorta thing. I was also wondering if perhaps her arrival can ultimately lead to a patch up between Cameron and his father (well all three of them with each other really). I mean her departure caused the big falling out, maybe her homecoming will be the impetus for a reconciliation. On the other hand while it might seem tempting to see them all living together as one, happy, reunitied family, that also seems a bit unlikely. I'm thinking the parents have too many issues with each other, and Cameron has too many issues with his dad for that to be very likely. At best perhaps he'll end up living with mom, getting along okay with dad, and openly dating Cole.

Hmmm, you're right, Conner! If she plays the insanity card it might really win her some sympathy and I'm sure Cameron'll be like, "ohh well no wonder she left; she was institutionalized". :boy::P

AWESOME chapter, Vance. I eager await the nest installment! Have a teriffic day everyone and take care!

Kevin

GREAT CHAPTER VANCE!!!!

I really enjoyed this chapter... however there was no Cole again. Two chapters in a row now. :P

I think that the ending part were Cameron felt sad or whatever when he did not see his mother at the table is a big give away to how he really feels. I am not sure what is going to happen, however, I have a feeling that Cameron is going to at the very least keep in touch with his mother.

I am really lookung forward to chapter 12.

Great job Vance! :hug:

Kurt :D

Another great chapter really shocked with Cameron's mother's return. Didn't see that coming I hope Mr. Harris doesn't find out about her he needs to mind his business and ley Cameron make decison for himself. Although I am looking forward too see where this mother sub-plot goes. But for some reason I find Jesse annoying I don't know why though. Well can't wait for the next installment.

I definetly didn't expect that, but it I'm happy that Cam's mother showed up. Actually, a trait of Vance that I appreciate greatly is that he never leaves loose ends in his story. His subplots never go unsolved. Yes, sometimes it's nice when you get to wonder about things in the end of the story, but only when they're done on purpose. When an author forgets something, it can be very annoying. So I would like congratulate Vance on his ability to include everything in his story (and he does it artfully, too).

Hmm, here's my take-on as to why Cam's mother left: She and her lesbian lover Christine decided that they couldn't stand it anymore, and moved to Canada to get married. Christine, at the time, had just gone through a traumatic event of seeing a young boy die, and couldn't stand the site of little boys. Because of that, Cameron's mom decided that she should stay by Christine's side, even though it meant leaving Cam with his dad. In the note she left to Cameron's dad she wrote that she will definetly be coming back to get Cameron because she loves him so much, but she has to leave because of him. This is why Cameron's dad became so mad. After 12 years of intensive therapy, Christine got over her phobia of children, and the couple is looking forward to raising a child, but first, Cameron's mom felt obligated to go and ask him for forgiveness, and even hoping he will move with her to Canada. (or maybe I'm just insane?)

But to tell the truth, I am greatful for the appearance of Cameron's mom, because I'm hoping for an interesting female character, with more then one dimension. I mean seriously, how can you not find Mrs. Harris annoying? She cooks, she cleans, she used to be a hairdresser, she listens to everything her husband says, always the perfect wife and she's ever so maternal. Talk about annoying. (Can't you just tell I'm a feminist?)

I personally like Jesse, I feel like he could be a great friend to Cameron and Cole, and I now definetly go back on my previous hunch that he will cause problems to Cameron and Cole's relationship.

I think that the ending part were Cameron felt sad or whatever when he did not see his mother at the table is a big give away to how he really feels. I am not sure what is going to happen, however, I have a feeling that Cameron is going to at the very least keep in touch with his mother.

I agree

I definetly didn't expect that, but it I'm happy that Cam's mother showed up. Actually, a trait of Vance that I appreciate greatly is that he never leaves loose ends in his story. His subplots never go unsolved. Yes, sometimes it's nice when you get to wonder about things in the end of the story, but only when they're done on purpose. When an author forgets something, it can be very annoying. So I would like congratulate Vance on his ability to include everything in his story (and he does it artfully, too).

Very well said Maya! I completely agree ;)

Hmm, here's my take-on as to why Cam's mother left: She and her lesbian lover Christine decided that they couldn't stand it anymore, and moved to Canada to get married. Christine, at the time, had just gone through a traumatic event of seeing a young boy die, and couldn't stand the site of little boys. Because of that, Cameron's mom decided that she should stay by Christine's side, even though it meant leaving Cam with his dad. In the note she left to Cameron's dad she wrote that she will definetly be coming back to get Cameron because she loves him so much, but she has to leave because of him. This is why Cameron's dad became so mad. After 12 years of intensive therapy, Christine got over her phobia of children, and the couple is looking forward to raising a child, but first, Cameron's mom felt obligated to go and ask him for forgiveness, and even hoping he will move with her to Canada. (or maybe I'm just insane?)

You know that's EXACTLY what I was thinking :P:boy: only I coulda sworn that woman's name was Marie

But to tell the truth, I am greatful for the appearance of Cameron's mom, because I'm hoping for an interesting female character, with more then one dimension. I mean seriously, how can you not find Mrs. Harris annoying? She cooks, she cleans, she used to be a hairdresser, she listens to everything her husband says, always the perfect wife and she's ever so maternal.

This is a good point, but we should also remember that she bristled a bit when Cameron first moved in because Mr. Harris hadn't consulted her. Also, there are old-fashioned, conservative women like her out there (I've known quite a few) and it does make sense that Mr. Harris would be the sort of man to marry one.

Talk about annoying. (Can't you just tell I'm a feminist?)

hehehe, about 7 or 8 months ago I was in a sociology class and our prof. asked, "how many of you consider yourselves feminists?" . Only three people raised their hand, myself, another guy, and one girl. It's frustrating when the people you're fighting for women's equality are women :( . To make matters worse young ladies majoring in sociology should be one of the most progressive demographics you could hope to find!

Similarly frustrating is arguing with guys for male equality. This is often overlooked, but there's quite a bias against single men having children. It's hard for any single parent to adopt, but much harder for a single man. Women also have the option of finding a sperm donor, or just plain old getting some guy to knock them up. For men this isn't option. Some people in today's society look down on stay at home moms; most people in today's society look down on stay at home dads. Similarly I'd argue that it's harder for a man to pursue a career in a conventionally female field than visa versa. People have started to get used to lady doctors, lawyers, and politicians; even the people who don't approve generally know enough to act politically correct (and if they don't the usually will get called on it). Men pursuing careers in female fields are almost always going to be the subject of insults and gossip. I think this is particularly unfair to straight guys. Can anyone imagine how difficult it must be to be a straight male flight attendant or hairdresser? So any, yes, I consider myself a feminist but I also consider myself a "masculinist"

Anyway have an awesome day everyone and take care! :)

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
Similarly frustrating is arguing with guys for male equality. This is often overlooked, but there's quite a bias against single men having children. It's hard for any single parent to adopt, but much harder for a single man. Women also have the option of finding a sperm donor, or just plain old getting some guy to knock them up. For men this isn't option. Some people in today's society look down on stay at home moms; most people in today's society look down on stay at home dads. Similarly I'd argue that it's harder for a man to pursue a career in a conventionally female field than visa versa. People have started to get used to lady doctors, lawyers, and politicians; even the people who don't approve generally know enough to act politically correct (and if they don't the usually will get called on it). Men pursuing careers in female fields are almost always going to be the subject of insults and gossip. I think this is particularly unfair to straight guys. Can anyone imagine how difficult it must be to be a straight male flight attendant or hairdresser? So any, yes, I consider myself a feminist but I also consider myself a "masculinist"

I guess in a way I'm also a masculinist. Or maybe I just don't like gender conventions? Or any other sort of stereotype? Maybe we should all just be "equalitists"?

I consider myself a feminist but I also consider myself a "masculinist"

The problem is that this word already has a meaning, and it isn't what you mean here!

Even though "feminism" has that root meaning "woman," it's not about securing rights and possibilities for women only: it's about deep equality. Well, I should qualify that -- of course we know there are people who think feminism is about whether there are women CEOs, period. But we know better than that, don't we? We want to see everybody get their fair share, and decent treatment, and the opportunity to reach their potential, and to have friends, family, and lovers as it suits them.

Even though "feminism" has that root meaning "woman," it's not about securing rights and possibilities for women only: it's about deep equality. Well, I should qualify that -- of course we know there are people who think feminism is about whether there are women CEOs, period. But we know better than that, don't we? We want to see everybody get their fair share, and decent treatment, and the opportunity to reach their potential, and to have friends, family, and lovers as it suits them.

Then why is it called "FEMINism"? As you pointed out, it has a root meaning woman.

Which has always sort of pissed me off. I'm all for equal rights for everybody, and most feminists I've met have the same ideas you've expressed here, which are ones I agree with. But I can't use that tag, because I'm a guy. Dumb name...

Why couldn't they just have called it the "equal rights for all" movement, or something? If that's what everyone says that it means...

Edited by TheJuggler
Then why is it called "FEMINism"? As you pointed out, it has a root meaning woman.

Which has always sort of pissed me off. I'm all for equal rights for everybody, and most feminists I've met have the same ideas you've expressed here, which are ones I agree with. But I can't use that tag, because I'm a guy. Dumb name...

That's not exactly true in my opinion. As I mentioned above myself and another guy both referred to ourselves as feminists, in fact in this case there were more male feminists than female feminists on hand :P:boy: . However, even that notwithstanding the tag "feminists" describes characteristics of someone's ideology not (physical/demographic) characteristics of the individual themself (like environmentalists seek to protect the environment they don't claim to be environments :P:boy: ). Personally however, I use the tag only as it applies to equal rights to women. As it applies to equal rights for men I would adapt the phrase "masculinist" to suit my needs, or simply say, "I'm in favour of equal rights for men". I prefer this because it brings more attention specifically to men's rights, and chances are if I use one of the before mentioned phrases it'll confuse people enough for them to ask what I mean, thus giving me a chance to explain and bring attention to the matter.

Why couldn't they just have called it the "equal rights for all" movement, or something?

Well I say call it whatever you like. It's your own person viewpoints and attitudes, so I think you should get to pick the label ;) . Besides, as I said if it's one people aren't too familar with they'll probably ask you to explain which is generally a good thing in terms of rallying support. Of course if you find yourself with very similar attitudes to some other preexisting, well-known group you'll probably have to accept that label.

Anyway just my thoughts on the matter. Besides labels are stupid anyway (IMO) :boy:

Have an awesome day and take care everyone! :D

Kevin

EDIT: I googled "Masculinist" and got this interesting Wikipedia entry as a result (which describes the ideology of "Masculism" )

Masculism

It's very informative, and as you can see by reading it people may interpret "masculism" in completely different ways. If you scroll down to the section entitled, "Differences in masculist ideology" it describes both the conservative views and the liberal views. The conservative views I, personally, completely detest. The liberal views are spot on how I feel about this issue. Thus, it is dangerous to use the term lest you be identified with the complete opposite viewpoint :wacko: . The liberal section did suggest using the phrase "gender egalitarianism" to describe the ideology.

As I side note I feel really bad about taking this thread :off::( . I think what we were initially saying is that we hoped Cameron's mom would have a more progressive attitude toward women's rights than the traditional (but really sweet, IMO) Mrs. Harris. Either way though, I know I'll love whatever Vance has in store for us, and I trust him to tell the story exactly in the high quality, powerful way all of his stories affect us.

Edited by AFriendlyFace
--------------

Whoa, odd thought: what if Cameron's mom left her husband because she's a lesbian?

...Not likely, but that would mix things up a bit.

Hey! That was my idea!....and it's well established that her lover's name is Christine (not Mary).

Hey! That was my idea!....and it's well established that her lover's name is Christine (not Mary).

Haha, sorry I never so the thread where you mentioned that.

I know a lesbian named Christine! Coolest woman the in the world, too; she comes across as strict and conservative but it only takes about five minutes to figure out that the complete opposite is the case.

...and who ever said it was Mary? :wacko: