Awesome chapter!

Though I have to wonder if revealing classified documents which the President tells the American public don't exist, and then when copies are produced claims they are forgeries, is even a crime. Can the President have it both ways? I also wonder if the act of classifying a document to conceal incompetence resulting in the death of thousands, or worse, collusion (i.e. Bush wanted 9/11 to happen so he could justify invading Iraq, making billions in profit for his rich greedy friends - not difficult to imagine in light of his family's history) is itself a crime that would negate the criminality of revealing those documents? I don't know, but it's hard to imagine any unbiased jury finding Davey guilty. If the story ends with him receiving a prison term, instead of the full out New York ticker tape parade he deserves, it would be a really depressing ending to this magnificent story.

Can the President have it both ways?

Of course. Didn't your mom teach you that two wrongs don't make a right?

I also wonder if the act of classifying a document to conceal incompetence resulting in the death of thousands, or worse, collusion (i.e. Bush wanted 9/11 to happen so he could justify invading Iraq, making billions in profit for his rich greedy friends - not difficult to imagine in light of his family's history) is itself a crime that would negate the criminality of revealing those documents?

I, too wanted it to be a conspiracy of the axis of evil - Bush-Cheney-Rove - but I think DK's painted it more along the lines of what *probably* happened in real life.

Great chapter! :great:

In my opinion, it's a sign of very good fiction when the reader (me in this case) has to keep reminding himself "this is fiction, this is fiction!". DK's writing has that touch of realism in the details (such as the location of the debate, and much of the context) that makes one forget that this is fiction. Another favorite author of mine is a favorite for that same reason (realism in some background detail) and that's Tom Clancy.

I loved the lead in! It really threw me for a loop. I really did a double take when it was mentioned that Davey's Father would be asking Bush a question at the debate. I chalked it up a different debate format in that timeline, something that would allow a non-candidate politician to ask a question at a presidential debate. It never once occurred to me that Davey's Father WAS the candidate, even though that's something I definitely had hoped to see. (and I really love that he is the candidate! I hope he wins!).

One reason I had to keep reminding myself "this is fiction" is because Davey's timeline differs from our own. One obvious way is that his Father is the Democratic Candidate for President of the United States.

One thing, though, that really did make me scratch my head:

Of the two, this timeline mostly resembled that original timeline. The Swift Boat Vets had launched vicious commercials attacking the Democratic Nominee and the President was doing an excellent job at message control. Still, there was a difference to the feel of the campaigns, and there was still hope for victory. The biggest roadblock to that, I saw, were all the lies flowing from the Republican side.

OK, if I'm parsing that correctly, Davey is saying that the Swifties are attacking *his father*?!!?? The Swift Boat Vets came into existence specifically due to John Kerry (regardless of whether one sides with them or not, it's absolutely factual that they were founded, and named, specifically to defeat John Kerry). Davey's father was never even in the military, let alone the "Swift boats" of Vietnam, so he couldn't have group calling itself "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" after him.

Or, did I just read that wrong? Davey is at first talking about the original timeline, so maybe this was clever misdirection to make us assume that, once again, John Kerry and not Jones, Sr, was the democratic candidate?

As for the lies from the Republican side, if that's our (his original) timeline that he's referring to, there were certainly plenty from both sides in that campaign. Anyone remember Memogate, and the forged Bush records?

Media spin also was pushed to the point of outright lies in a lot of instances. I'll use the example of Howard Dean. Dean's candidacy was largely destroyed by his infamous "I have a scream" speech, a sound clip of which played over and over in the media. The problem here is that this was a fabrication! That sound clip was punched up and otherwise altered in the studio, and then also played out of context. Result? A blatant media hit job that destroyed Dean's campaign. Make no mistake, I can't stand Dean, but he was unfairly attacked and destroyed, intentionally, by the media using trickery and deceit. I was outraged because, as much as I hated Dean, his candidacy should have been decided by the Voters, not a bunch of back-room media hacks and audio techs. Remember, they got away with it once, so any candidate (of any party) is at risk. Remember, this wasn't sone by his oppenents, but by the supposedly impartial media.

The Media, CBS especially, was hauled over the coals for the Memogate fiasco, and rightfully so. However, why the heck were they let off the hook for the destruction of Howard Dean? That kind of thing must be stopped. I don't care who the target is, it's wrong, and downright perilous for Democracy itself.

One thing though in the story that rings a little false for me:

I
Edited by C James

What a stunning development!!!! Who would have thought that they would ever be rooting for David's dad to win the presidential office? (Keeping in mind his behaviour in other timelines). Great storytelling and talking about character development :great:

Great chapter! :great:

In my opinion, it's a sign of very good fiction when the reader (me in this case) has to keep reminding himself "this is fiction, this is fiction!".

Hmmm.. "My Pet Goat"... I hope nobody uses this to blame ME for 9-11!!

The jump in time from chapter to chapter tightens the story and made it fascinating :o .

I cannt wait the next and perhaps unfortunately the last chapter.

I always read with as much pleasure the comments of "the Pet Goats :lol:

The jump in time from chapter to chapter tightens the story and made it fascinating :o .

I cannt wait the next and perhaps unfortunately the last chapter.

I always read with as much pleasure the comments of "the Pet Goats :lol:

Hi Bob!

I think you are right, the fast pace through time really does make it even more exciting.

I am still a bit-shell-shocked that this weekend's post will be the last chapter. That means that the next few days are our last chance, EVER, to be able to speculation on what the "next chapter of the series will bring".

So, my biggest questions are: How does Davey get out of his legal problem? Or does he?

My hunch is that he does. Anyone have any theories as to how?

I think we will get to see Davey's father inaugurated! :great::great::great::great:

I'm going to re-read the chapter and post detailed quotes and comments about it later on today (or maybe tomorrow, at the latest).

I am still a bit-shell-shocked that this weekend's post will be the last chapter. That means that the next few days are our last chance, EVER, to be able to speculation on what the "next chapter of the series will bring".

No doubt about it - I'm going to miss DO/DOR/DIR.

So, my biggest questions are: How does Davey get out of his legal problem? Or does he?

My hunch is that he does. Anyone have any theories as to how?

I've been thinking a lot about this since I started this thread. Knowing Davey, he'll want to plead "no contest". This would suite him perfectly - accepting responsibility without admitting guilt. Were it not for political forces already in play, I think he'd do it and his father would back him on it.

However, there will be plenty of forces at work to galvanize public opinion on both sides of the issue, and a lot of people whose careers could be jeopardized by things that might come out at trial to make them want to set up a plea bargain arrangement, just in case Davey decides he wants to go to trial. But if his father wins the election, it would look really bad if there were any hint of leaniency accorded his son. And I'm sure Brian will be pushing hard for Davey to plead not guilty.

Soooo . . . I think Davey will end up going to trial. I think that the issue will be as to whether or not a sitting president can classify documents solely for political purposes. There are whistle-blower laws to protect people except in just this case, but if Bush classified the documents for "illegal" reasons, then an argument could be made that Davey was justified. In real life, he'd probably end up doing some jail time, but this is a story and I think that in the face of public opinion and as more details come out about the corruption in the Bush administration, I think it would be hard to find a jury in which all 12 jurors would agree on Davey's guilt. My guess is that Davey will be acquited. :)

I think we will get to see Davey's father inaugurated! :great::great::great::great:

If the American people reelect Bush after what Davey did and what David Sr. said, and particularly with someone like Bush, then it'll be because of election fraud (as I think may well have been the case in our own time line. :wacko:

No doubt about it - I'm going to miss DO/DOR/DIR.

I've been thinking a lot about this since I started this thread. Knowing Davey, he'll want to plead "no contest". This would suite him perfectly - accepting responsibility without admitting guilt. Were it not for political forces already in play, I think he'd do it and his father would back him on it.

However, there will be plenty of forces at work to galvanize public opinion on both sides of the issue, and a lot of people whose careers could be jeopardized by things that might come out at trial to make them want to set up a plea bargain arrangement, just in case Davey decides he wants to go to trial. But if his father wins the election, it would look really bad if there were any hint of leniency accorded his son. And I'm sure Brian will be pushing hard for Davey to plead not guilty.

Soooo . . . I think Davey will end up going to trial. I think that the issue will be as to whether or not a sitting president can classify documents solely for political purposes. There are whistle-blower laws to protect people except in just this case, but if Bush classified the documents for "illegal" reasons, then an argument could be made that Davey was justified. In real life, he'd probably end up doing some jail time, but this is a story and I think that in the face of public opinion and as more details come out about the corruption in the Bush administration, I think it would be hard to find a jury in which all 12 jurors would agree on Davey's guilt. My guess is that Davey will be acquited. :)

I think you are really onto something there! The classification/declassification issue is certainly relevant, both in Davey's timeline and in our own current day.

I think you are right about the preferred plea being "no contest". Good use might be made of the "nececisty defence" and I could also see this being a classic case of jury nullification.

There might also be a chance of a deal of some sort.. Or, will Davey's father pardon him after all, perhaps in the face of overwhelming public demand?

One thing that troubles me, though... A trial would take a lot to cover, and there is so much going on here that I just can't see it all happening in ONE chapter. I'm wondering if the last chapter, like many previous ones, "skips ahead" by a few months or years.

Or, try this on for a really evil thought... Suppose DK ends the chapter, and the series, with a cliffhanger? :o

Or, try this on for a really evil thought... Suppose DK ends the chapter, and the series, with a cliffhanger? :o

Would DK do that? :evil:

The mind that created Vampire Jarred? The writer who has killed Brian three times? :whistle::P

I see it something like this:

The relaxing family outing had been wonderful: An idyllic picnic followed by a scenic drive. It was, they thought, a great way to celebrate the end of the recent trial. All was well with the world, and the only slight fly in the ointment had been the oncoming 18-wheeler in their lane. Even that wouldn't have been so bad, had they managed to avoid the head-on collision.

The creaking sound of tortured metal was the first thing Davey heard as he slowly regained consciousness. A soft whimper bought him fully awake, and agony from his broken ribs was his reward as he turned to see the kids in the rear seat, still in their carseats, shaken but alive. Davey tried desperately to clear his head, and finally looked out through the shattered, blood-stained windshield. Davey shuddered at the sight before him: a spectacular view of the Pacific. Davey felt the car move slightly, shattered metal groaning in protest, as he glanced down from the driver's side window. Below him, he could see the surf crashing against the rocks, hundreds of feet below.

Again the car moved slightly, slipping over the cliff edge on which it was so precariously balanced. Davey knew, then, that time was running out. He glanced at the passenger seat, as he realized for the first time that Brian was no longer there.

The soft crunch of rock on metal reminded Davey that he had even more immediate concerns. The car was slipping towards the precipice. Davey knew that he had moments to act, for if he did not lighten the front of the car, it would tip further and slide over the precipice. The only course of action that he could think of was to open the driver's side door, and heave his body into the abyss. Glancing about as he opened the door and removed his seat belt, Davey wondered what had happened to his beloved Brian.

The end.

(see? I did say a CLIFFhanger... :lmao: ).

Apologies to DK for misusing his characters. :D

You are totally and utterly evil. :devil:

Who? Me? 0:)0:)

I think you are really onto something there! The classification/declassification issue is certainly relevant, both in Davey's timeline and in our own current day.

If I dont make a mistake, there was recently a case in the Bush admnistration about the disclosing of classified informations which didnt end with a trial, even not with a complaint (?). Bush could do the same for Davey, before the end of his presidency, afraid of publicity of a trial.

The mix between the real situation and the story is amazing :great:

Old Bob

If I dont make a mistake, there was recently a case in the Bush administration about the disclosing of classified informations which didnt end with a trial, even not with a complaint (?). Bush could do the same for Davey, before the end of his presidency, afraid of publicity of a trial.

The mix between the real situation and the story is amazing :great:

Old Bob

That has indeed been in the news lately. The most recent case involves the Palme case, where it's under debate as to whether or not a Vice-President can de-clasiffy something.

If it's the Palme case that you are thinking of, a very rough synopsis would be that a CIA agent had her identity revealed, and it looks like someone in the administration did it. An investigation followed, and the Vice-President's chief of staff is under indictment (charges) as a result. However, he's charged with perjury, not the actual leak. I suspect there will be a lot more to come out of that case.

Nice one, C James! A double no less!

Now about that story you plan to submit to the anthology this time... :read:

I was trying for a quadruple... Does Davey jump to his death to save the kids? Do the two kids survive? And what happened to Brian? :wacko: :P

(if anyone doesn't know what I'm babbling about here, read my prior post in this thread :P )

As for my story, I've been slacking. That ends in about two minutes. I'm working on it tonight, and as motivation I'm not going to allow myself to read Ch 17 of DIR until I'm done! (I'm saying that publicly to hold myself to it). :read:

Would DK do that? :evil:

The mind that created Vampire Jarred? The writer who has killed Brian three times? :whistle::P

I see it something like this:

The relaxing family outing had been wonderful: An idyllic picnic followed by a scenic drive. It was, they thought, a great way to celebrate the end of the recent trial. All was well with the world, and the only slight fly in the ointment had been the oncoming 18-wheeler in their lane. Even that wouldn't have been so bad, had they managed to avoid the head-on collision.

The creaking sound of tortured metal was the first thing Davey heard as he slowly regained consciousness. A soft whimper bought him fully awake, and agony from his broken ribs was his reward as he turned to see the kids in the rear seat, still in their carseats, shaken but alive. Davey tried desperately to clear his head, and finally looked out through the shattered, blood-stained windshield. Davey shuddered at the sight before him: a spectacular view of the Pacific. Davey felt the car move slightly, shattered metal groaning in protest, as he glanced down from the driver's side window. Below him, he could see the surf crashing against the rocks, hundreds of feet below.

Again the car moved slightly, slipping over the cliff edge on which it was so precariously balanced. Davey knew, then, that time was running out. He glanced at the passenger seat, as he realized for the first time that Brian was no longer there.

The soft crunch of rock on metal reminded Davey that he had even more immediate concerns. The car was slipping towards the precipice. Davey knew that he had moments to act, for if he did not lighten the front of the car, it would tip further and slide over the precipice. The only course of action that he could think of was to open the driver's side door, and heave his body into the abyss. Glancing about as he opened the door and removed his seat belt, Davey wondered what had happened to his beloved Brian.

The end.

(see? I did say a CLIFFhanger... :lmao: ).

Apologies to DK for misusing his characters. :D

Who? Me? 0:)0:)

You are absolutely without a doubt EVIL :devil:

How could you, knowing what you do, give him ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Boy

:P

P.S. I want to see a nice end to this too

Edited by Ghstwolf62
You are absolutely without a doubt EVIL :devil:

How could you, knowing what you do, give him ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Boy

:P

P.S. I want to see a nice end to this too

Don't blame me for being Evil, I was a saint 0:) before I came here.. DK has corrupted me.. 0:)

:lmao:

Otherwise, DK would have had an excellent recreational opportunity: He could have used the ending I suggested. Then, the next day, after watching with evil amusement as his fans tear me into little pieces, he could have posted the real ending. :lmao:

As for giving him ideas... I wasn't worried. He had already mentioned sending the last chapter to Emoe, so I knew I was safe. Besides, when DK wants to be Evil, he's far better at it than anything I could think of.. Remember that beautiful, sweet rapprochement that Davey, after years of heartache, had with Brian in DOR?

The Wonderful kiss, and then Brian taking a fatal bullet in the back. Nobody, but nobody, could top that one!

Errr, ok, well, maybe the only way it could be topped was by keeping Brian's fate a mystery for a a few chapters, and then revealing that he had indeed died. Which is exactly what DK did. Now THAT was true evil!

:devil:

Don't blame me for being Evil, I was a saint 0:) before I came here.. DK has corrupted me.. 0:)

:lmao:

Otherwise, DK would have had an excellent recreational opportunity: He could have used the ending I suggested. Then, the next day, after watching with evil amusement as his fans tear me into little pieces, he could have posted the real ending. :lmao:

As for giving him ideas... I wasn't worried. He had already mentioned sending the last chapter to Emoe, so I knew I was safe. Besides, when DK wants to be Evil, he's far better at it than anything I could think of.. Remember that beautiful, sweet rapprochement that Davey, after years of heartache, had with Brian in DOR?

The Wonderful kiss, and then Brian taking a fatal bullet in the back. Nobody, but nobody, could top that one!

Errr, ok, well, maybe the only way it could be topped was by keeping Brian's fate a mystery for a a few chapters, and then revealing that he had indeed died. Which is exactly what DK did. Now THAT was true evil!

:devil:

Well considering our discussion from a while back....

Let's just say I have been holding my breath throughout and then you suggest something like that.