Reboots

Superman and Lois

or is that Lois and Superman? :unsure:

I loved the Superman show with Dean Cain

He was hot, Lois was fun - in fact the whole show was just great entertainment :P 

This reboot is so… devoid of fun. Lois is always scowling, Clark is miserable and downtrodden and superman junior is a right moaning tiresome pain. And it’s not helped by the picture being dull and washed out, whereas Superman was in bright Technicolor (shot on film?) and just looked so good on the old cathode ray tube TV. 

New doesn’t always mean better. So does it get better?

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

I typically do not like remakes - especially sitcoms from decades ago. So when they say they're going to Reboot shows like Frasier, Friends (rumored, probably not going to happen), Will and Grace, etc.. I always take them with a grain of salt. I also feel that writers, even returning writers, tend to falter with reboots, especially if the same actors/actresses are in it. The writing either gets distinctly off-brand or it gets lazy because they're banking on a rabid fanbase forgiving them for lazy writing. Also, I hate to say it, today's culture just ruins a lot of promising ideas. People get offended too easily and it makes creators gunshy and stifled. 

Sci-fi/Comic Book adaptations and the like are different. They either hit or miss. I feel most of them are boring and follow the same general outline - especially if The CW or FreeForm, etc are involved. I personally tend to like the reboots within these genres to be starkly different, if they're more of the same then I lose interest way more easily. But yeah it's more or less, do you want Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip cookies or Milk Chocolate Chip cookies, you're not going to sense much of a difference unless you pay attention. :P (As you can see, I've been doing my Christmas baking)

As for Lois and Superman, I heard the first 1/2 of the first season was slow and a bit boring, but it gets better. I personally gave up halfway through the second episode. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 1

Reboots/remakes terrify me. I'm not considering certain ones, such as anything superhero-related, as the comics will almost always provide new content for filmmakers to work with. Raised on old shows (Alan Alda's Hawkeye and the 4077th were practically my babysitters growing up), I cringe when hearing of a new reboot/remake. A generational plateau has been reached in regards to content creation, and as Krista mentioned,

9 hours ago, Krista said:

People get offended too easily and it makes creators gunshy and stifled. 

I'm sure there's an unspoken rule in Hollywood where certain shows are off-limits to reboots, but I fear that rule will be broken within my lifetime. All I know is they better... better get the new Golden Girls right whenever that'll happen. In fact, I'm assuming any show found on the MeTV channel is deemed off-limits. But who knows? I'm sure Jane Lynch could portray Dorothy Zbornak in ten or fifteen years... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Reboots/remakes terrify me. I'm not considering certain ones, such as anything superhero-related, as the comics will almost always provide new content for filmmakers to work with. Raised on old shows (Alan Alda's Hawkeye and the 4077th were practically my babysitters growing up), I cringe when hearing of a new reboot/remake. A generational plateau has been reached in regards to content creation, and as Krista mentioned,

I'm sure there's an unspoken rule in Hollywood where certain shows are off-limits to reboots, but I fear that rule will be broken within my lifetime. All I know is they better... better get the new Golden Girls right whenever that'll happen. In fact, I'm assuming any show found on the MeTV channel is deemed off-limits. But who knows? I'm sure Jane Lynch could portray Dorothy Zbornak in ten or fifteen years... 

No. They won't get Golden Girls right. No one can pull off what those four women did. :P Also, the writing was controversial and a bit ahead of its time as it was. Also, Hot in Cleveland was a sort of a knockoff of the Golden Girls and if you wanted to torture yourself for an evening you watched that show. Betty was the only redeeming quality in that entire thing. Golden Girls is one show I can pick back up and watch no matter how many times I've watched it, so I don't even want there to be a 'rumor' around that show being picked up for a reboot. 

--

Some Reboots are very well done, if they keep the essence of the original, but maybe the original was hindered by technology and special effects. 

Although, nothing is typically worse than Book to Film. :P Especially in the YA world. Twilight, City Of Bones/The Mortal Instruments... ugh. 

• Like 1