Stories around current events?

Has anyone ever thought of doing a contest, or anthology, or some such where writers make a fictional story based around current events? I think this would be quite interesting. Everyone please let me know what you think.

• Like 2

Most of my stories are set in the present (near past) and I draw heavily from what's happening in the world.

Try this one. It was written and published soon after the events described.

Or this one, It puts my characters in the middle of a demonstration in Washington, D.C.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

It's a good idea. Too much of contemporary writing is escapist. That's okay. We all need that from time to time, but we also need writers and artists to help us face the crucial issues of the day, especially the climate/environmental crisis. 

Prairie Dogs, Pronghorns & Penis Sheaths takes place in the context of the COVID pandemic and the ongoing climate crisis. Two young boys declare war on gas-guzzling SUVs and non-vegan restaurants.

Edited by Biff Spork
added a bit