so, about that feedback...

redlightfeeling

As it says in Kevin's (afriendlyface) signature, "Remember our authors thrive on feedback, so please drop by the forums and let them know what you think."

Well, I was just wondering what kind of feedback is expected for authors. I always wonder if authors want encouragement, constructive criticism, or a lot of both. I always want to make a post to an author saying "I'ld love to see this character have a clearer characterization to them" but am never sure if that is acceptable. I think that if I was an author I'd definitely want encouragement and people telling me that they've read it and liked it, but I think I'd want criticism too. So, I just wanted to ask what is expected from readers. And if authors do want criticism, should readers post it publicly or send an e mail?

Well, mostly I want ANY feedback--because I like to know if someone is actually reading my stories.

But what I would LOVE to see would be someone telling me what they liked about my story and what they did not like. If they see something that was confusing or boring or anything that made them start to lose interest, I want to know about it. I don't want someone to just say "It sucked." If they thought it sucked, I want to know why. On the other hand, if they liked it, I want to know why. I can't improve on anything if I don't know what works and what doesn't--and my friends lie to me SO nicely :hug:

Well I really like positive feedback, but my favorite kind of feedback is the flames.....they make me think about what I can do to get better. I know some people do it out of spite, but I still try to look for something useful in what they're saying and make my next chapter better than the one I posted the week before.

All feedback is good. if I had to chose between.."I love your story, Keep up the good work!" or..."I can't really see myself there, could you add more detail?"

I would go for the latter one every time. Comments like that are nice to have, especially for new writers. I want negative feedback as much as I enjoy the positive coments. I want to improve my writing as much as possible.

I can't do anything without the comments from readers and when I get negitive feedback, I deffinatly know what needs to be improved. :D

Gratuitous ego stroking is good, but constructive critisism is much more valuable! Many authors can't take ANY kind of critisism, so be aware of that fact if you get a negative reply. I know most of the authors here aren't like that though...right!? 0:) And we all looooooooove to hear from readers. So whatever you have to say, don't be stingy and keep it to yourself, k? :wub:

-db-

As it says in Kevin's (afriendlyface) signature, "Remember our authors thrive on feedback, so please drop by the forums and let them know what you think."

YAY!! My signature caused a discussion!! :2thumbs:

Well, I was just wondering what kind of feedback is expected for authors. I always wonder if authors want encouragement, constructive criticism, or a lot of both. I always want to make a post to an author saying "I'ld love to see this character have a clearer characterization to them" but am never sure if that is acceptable. I think that if I was an author I'd definitely want encouragement and people telling me that they've read it and liked it, but I think I'd want criticism too. So, I just wanted to ask what is expected from readers. And if authors do want criticism, should readers post it publicly or send an e mail?

I agree with what everyone else said: most authors just want ANY kind of feedback! Most do seem to appreciate if you say WHY you felt the way you did too. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving negative feedback as long as it's constructive, honest, and informative, not just mean and spiteful.

Anyway please do take the time to let the authors know what you thought regardless of what outlet you do choose!! :D

Have a great day everyone and take care!

Kevin

• Site Administrator

I agree that most authors will take any feedback, positive or negative, but they would prefer ones that explain why the feedback if postive or negative.

Another form of feedback that I personally appreciate is the reader that gives their opinion on what's going on, because it helps me see if I'm getting my "message" across, or just another way of viewing things. A couple of readers that I really appreciate getting emails from live in a quite different culture to me, and their perspective on things is always interesting.

HOWEVER, I also know of at least one author that pulled up and left the internet for a period of time because they received some negative feedback, so that requires clarification.

Negative feedback of a technical nature (eg. typos, story flow, questions on grammar, etc.) are generally well received.

Negative feedback on story content (eg. boring, subject matter not liked, don't believe it's realistic) is more problematic and should be handled carefully, if at all. It's a subjective area and just because the reader doesn't appreciate it, that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the story. In these situations, unless a relationship has been built up with the author through previous emails, it's probably better to just leave the story and move on without saying anything

My opinion only, of course. :D

Negative feedback on story content (eg. boring, subject matter not liked, don't believe it's realistic) is more problematic and should be handled carefully, if at all. It's a subjective area and just because the reader doesn't appreciate it, that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the story. In these situations, unless a relationship has been built up with the author through previous emails, it's probably better to just leave the story and move on without saying anything

My opinion only, of course. :D

Well to be completely honest that is how I typically handle it too. I only give negative feedback if I'm reasonably sure the author wants it, otherwise I don't say anything. Some authors DO want it though, you have to know your author, and I think should still make an effort to at least present it in a delicate way.

-Kevin

I totally agree. I think constructive critisism is a great kind of feedback. It challenges the author to write better and that's a good thing. Compliments are, of course, wonderful. It makes authors feel good about their story and are more energized to write new installments or stories. :D

Flames are not feedback, they are personal attacks aimed to injure, not instruct.

A FLAME:> What is your major malfunction numbnutz? Are you retarded or did a teradactyl take a s*** on your head!? I tried to read the excretia that you called a story but it reeked so badly, I finally had to flush it. Do youself a favor and set your computer on fire.

Constructive Criticism:> What is your major malfunction numbnutz!? Did they have a sale on adverbs or were yours reaching their expiration date and you decided use them before you had to throw them out. Rewrite your story and delete every adverb! Then your story will just be bad instead of terribly wretched.

See the difference?

Agree with people before: writers always want feedback, regardless of whether it's positive or negative. Flamers may annoy some people, but they could be ignored.

Positive feedback can make the writer more confident, as it shows he's more or less on the right track and achieving what he set out to achieve, and therefore be more creative and motivated to write.

Negative feedback can be helpful too, if it's constructive (so not just "it's crap", like John Prescott's comment on Bush's handling of the Middle East). Maybe something illogical in the plot, maybe the unrealistic turn of events or dialogue, maybe the poor grammar and spelling. Sometimes writers are so immersed in their own works they don't see the mistakes.These are all things that can help the writer improve his reading, and help the reader improve the reading experience.

My editor once said reader-writer relationship is based on an mutual obligation: the writer has an obligation to produce something that is original and creative, and can touch people's hearts and minds; whereas the reader has an obligation to respond, review and reward the writer for the hard work in writing by expressing their opinions of the work. Most writers don't write for the sake of writing, but in the hope it being read. And readers don't read like dummies without at least having a reaction to what it is that they just read. So by all means, when readers read something, drop writers a line to tell them what you think, what you really think about the work.

Problem I find is I always receive good feedback, saying how much people love my story and characters, and how they want more. Though I appreciate it, and it's encouraging, it doesn't really help me in making it better. Coincidentally, I got my first 'criticism' (if it can be called that, since it was very mild compared to all the good things he had to say) today, almost six months after starting to write, and I was thrilled! The guy pointed out something that seemed a little unrealistic, and I was glad since it hadn't occured to me. Finally, a flaw! :2thumbs:

I totally agree. I think constructive critisism is a great kind of feedback. It challenges the author to write better and that's a good thing. Compliments are, of course, wonderful. It makes authors feel good about their story and are more energized to write new installments or stories. :D

Very well said! :2thumbs: Most notes are nice ego-massagers. However, after the editing process, something screwy/erroneous (not erogenous) occasionally slips through and an eagle-eye will pick it up. Or what is clear to the author is very confusing to the reader. There have been a few occasions when I've done fast re-writes and resubmitted revisions to chapters already posted. Most recently it occurred in Chapter 10 of It Stays in Vegas. I'm very grateful. :worship: Our stories are archived in GA and other sites for a long time and I want the reading experience to be as enjoyable for the reader as possible.

Let me drop this little turd into the mix: authors have an obligation to respond to feedback.

Since I have become a part of the GA author group I've tried to read a sampling of various stories from other GA authors - Hosted especially - with whose works I'm not familiar. I generally send a little note to thank the author for the story and may ask a question concerning something that was written or a character. Without pointing fingers, I was amazed at the number of writers who don't make an effort to acknowledge a note. That's just friggin' rude and ill-mannered.

I really encourage new writers to take the time to respond to a reader no matter how trivial the note may seem.

Jack B)

Like everyone else I enjoy hearing that people enjoyed what I wrote but I'd love to have a little bit of criticism as well. My newest story has gotten a lot of good feedback in a short time, and sense it's something that I struggled to write I was very appreciative of every comment and review I got.

• Site Administrator
Problem I find is I always receive good feedback, saying how much people love my story and characters, and how they want more. Though I appreciate it, and it's encouraging, it doesn't really help me in making it better. Coincidentally, I got my first 'criticism' (if it can be called that, since it was very mild compared to all the good things he had to say) today, almost six months after starting to write, and I was thrilled! The guy pointed out something that seemed a little unrealistic, and I was glad since it hadn't occured to me. Finally, a flaw! :2thumbs:

I'm lucky in that I've got a few beta-readers who aren't shy about pointing out things that they feel aren't realistic, so most of those things are ironed out before the chapter is published. It slows down the overall process, but the benefits are tremendous.

I really encourage new writers to take the time to respond to a reader no matter how trivial the note may seem.

I'll support that. Even a "Thanks for the email" reply shows that you've read the comment and appreciate it.

Graeme :D

I'm lucky in that I've got a few beta-readers who aren't shy about pointing out things that they feel aren't realistic, so most of those things are ironed out before the chapter is published. It slows down the overall process, but the benefits are tremendous.

I'll support that. Even a "Thanks for the email" reply shows that you've read the comment and appreciate it.

Graeme :D

Thanks for the post. I've read the comment and appreciate it very much. 0:)

>>Serious now, I agree writers should respond to any mail they receive, good or bad (flamers maybe). I find it helps build a relationship with the reader, and sort of give you an understanding what kind of people are reading, whihc in turn can help you get an idea what is 'expected' from you.

I was surprised that many readers wrote back saying how much they identify with my story and the characters, and they go on to tell me their experiences. One or two online friendships developed this way. Some readers write back again after my reply, with even more suggestions and pointers. This is how I met my editor: we started out writing back and forth to each other, and he gave me lots of precious advice, and one day we 'clicked'.

Constructive Criticism:> What is your major malfunction numbnutz!? Did they have a sale on adverbs or were yours reaching their expiration date and you decided use them before you had to throw them out. Rewrite your story and delete every adverb! Then your story will just be bad instead of terribly wretched.

:D:2thumbs::great::lol::worship: