I'm curious:

When you recieve criticism from a reader how do you handle it? Do you see it as another step towards improving your writing skill? Or do you let emotions control you and stop writing for awhile to spite your readers?

What is your method?

That depends. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

You suck or personal attacks with no explanation are not welcome. At least tell me what why I suck. :P

I've gotten some ugly hate mail because sometimes drugs are in a story or violence or something scary. Sometimes readers can't split the difference between an element of the plot and the authors endorsement.

People are murdered right and left in Steven King or Tom Clancey's books. Is he advocating murder?

I will say this- when I am talking to younger writers, if I don't have something nice to say, I don't say anything at all. It would be a crime against the art to discourage a young Hemmingway or Falkner and have them give up writing and become an accountant.

JS

• Site Administrator

It appears that I'm doing something terribly wrong, because the only criticisms I've ever had have been along the lines of typos...

So, in short, the way I handle them is... well... not to get them in the first place. :P

Seriously, I have several times expected to get criticisms about the story itself (which appears to be the area that causes most angst in the relationship between reader and writer) but I've been lucky. I suspect it's mainly because my stories are not widely distributed.

Here is an excerpt of one particular email that I received:

There are a couple issues that I have that might have made the read more satisfying and believable, however. First of all, the reader is given no opportunity to get personally invested in your characters. The impact of the ending would be significantly enhanced if the reader really cared about them as harassed gays. But I really don't. You've given us no opportunity to come to "know" them other than through very surface, stereotypical images. I'm not even sure I know your protagonist's name. You don't give me any clue at all as to where their heart is at. You've given me an indication of why they suffer, through a few of their experiences, but I don't learn how the taunting and bullying effects their heart and mind and soul. I walk away not really caring much about them. They're not really "people." They are almost totally throwaway.

This is one of of several paragraphs that basically shreaded a short story I had recently written.

I took a few days, reread my story, and then reread the criticism. While it definately bruised my ego, There were many truths in what they wrote. So I replied thanking them, and said I'd do my best to fix the problems listed.

Anytime I get a criticism that has some sense to it and is more than a simple 'you suck' I generally give it a couple of days time to consider, and then reply. I like to consider myself thick-skinned, and so I try to not take it personally.

The 'I loved your story' comments are always a boost, and honestly, without them, I probably would be so viligent in my writing. It is the, 'this needs work' comments and questions regarding topics I hadn't covered in the context of the story, that I live for.

A very kind gentleman names Pearsall was one of my original readers that has always given me the best criticisms. He didn't just tell me what he thought was a problem, but even wrote his replies to me as an example of what he was trying to explain.

Pearsall has over the last few months also given me links to grammar sites and many other helpful critiques that I honestly believe have helped beyond measure. My current editors have taught me volumes, that I sometimes find I ignore/forget, when I submit a chapter for review.

When my chapters come back looking like an autopsy, it helps me to remember to slow down and not be so anxious in spitting out the next chapter of whatever trilogy I happen to be working on.

I have an email box full of "attaboy's". It's the criticisms that I need. I'm just glad I get a mix so that I'm not so completely beaten down and bruised. By the way, the person that wrote that criticism above, is one of my editors, and I love him for it.

Take care!

Actually I'm waiting to recieve some really good criticism. Not that I overly enjoy, negative feedback at all but without that criticism it all starts to feel like everyone is blowing smoke. I'm new at this so, it hard to think that it's all good feedback. That said when I do recieve criticism of that kind, I hope it's constructive. I intend to use it to help improve my writing.

Actually I'm waiting to recieve some really good criticism. Not that I overly enjoy, negative feedback at all but without that criticism it all starts to feel like everyone is blowing smoke. I'm new at this so, it hard to think that it's all good feedback. That said when I do recieve criticism of that kind, I hope it's constructive. I intend to use it to help improve my writing.

Well... I just posted some (suggestions more than criticism) in your forum about the Bad Seed. Great story... I can't wait to read more!

I live for the flames...the first one I ever got was by a fellow author, and it was a wakeup call for me to step up my game, so I did. Everything he said was right, too, so I just went back and followed his suggestions :read::read:

The next bad one I got was about My Jump Off, by the owner of RCWP...well, I stomped my feet and she posted it anyway, but I listened to her and tried to apply what she was telling me to my new stories. Other than that, I love getting hard core flames, like the guy that said I should get my fingers chopped off so I couldn't write such garbage :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs: I sent him a reply thanking him for reading my story, and that I was looking forward to his feedback from the next chapter :music: :king: I had another guy flame me about six times in a row, then I asked him to marry me and he told me to &^^% off and never emailed me again :) I wonder if it was something I said 0:)0:)0:)

So far many of you have responded as I expected. I really think that DomLuka's response was the most thought provoking. It made me wonder how many of you, when negative criticism or flames (thanks nick), experience the feeling of despair? In "Doctor Faustus" the main character despairs for similar reasons (his are a little more serious and have worse consequences than just feeling like crap), but the good Doctor is brought down by his despair in the end. I would like to now know how, if you do despair, you get "out of the funk".

Oh!--By the way: I am asking these questions to find out about a problem I recently had to overcome with despairing when confronted with negative criticism / feedback. I went through some serious doubt about my writing abilities. After I was able to gather back the pieces of my crystal chalice I realized that despite some negative here and there what I write will always reflect me as a writer. When I write poorly I am a bad writer, when I write greatly I am a good writer (or so I think).

Let me know...

Well I'm still learning how to take negative criticism and trying to distinguish whether or not there is even actual criticism in the message sent to me. Obviously worrying about my time between posts, complaining about the shorter length, time of day I decided to post, and etc. I don't need to think about any of those. :blink:

I don't like complaining. Even complaining with some hints of constructive criticism is something that I don't like to read. Usually I just over look most comments that are good as well. I don't really need to know whether or not people are liking the story. It conserns me when they complain and they lash out at me personally.

That's what causes any despairity and funk. There are many variables that causes me to not even want to look at a story of mine. The one you asked about was Complaining and Negative Criticism though. This one is probably the one that's least going to keep me from writing. I think a writer has to go through one major "despairity" to learn how to cope with some of the harsh things readers say (the ones that also have truth to them) I mean mine happened when I ended a story. To get help with dealing with it. I came here and posted. The people here are pretty helpful about calming despairity and taking away the negative thoughts.

Krista

Yeah, hmm, that would require negative feedback, wouldn't it?

Dang, my stories were online such a long time ago and for such a relatively short period that there wasn't a chance to get a whole lot. I do remember one, though, that was utterly hilarious. Guy emailed me complaining that the size of the text on the page was too small...he said something like "I hope you can read this because I sure can't and so I'm not going to read your stories" - using the smallest font his email client could provide, which was something like 8pt (smaller than my page layout, anyway :P ).

I replied back that I had no trouble whatsoever reading his email, thanking him for at least trying it, and informing him that pretty most standard-ish browsers allow you to change the text size on-the-fly.

Never heard back *shrug* haha.

Other than that...don't have much to go on :P But as others have said, I'd be mostly looking at what they're saying and how they're saying it. Polite, constructive criticism means I'll try and at least think about what they've said, whether or not I ultimately agree with it and/or follow the advice. Silly ones like I mentioned above will get a variety of potential responses, depending on the content, or no response at all if there's nothing worth trying to save :P

It's all subjective, baby, yeah :D

Flames: Personal attacks or comments meant to provoke.

Negative constructive criticism: advice that may help improve our writing, although it may not be something we want to hear.

Sorry.

Anyway, about that funk... I think I actually started a topic on this in the past (I was pushed over the edge when someone criticized my blog. Apparently, I wasn

• 3 months later...

My latest one was a real doozy -- the <sarcasm> nice reader </sarcasm> actually even tried to tell me what nickname I could use for a character! :blink::blink: On top of about 15 other things!

I wrote a nice flame back to him in Notepad, saved it on my desktop, and promptly ignored it. If he had repeated the offense, he would have got two replies, neither of which would have had less than an "R" rating. Since he wisely dropped the subject, I saved the reply I wrote but never sent in my archives for occasional reading whenever I need a good laugh!

I'm not very good with criticism, honestly. I tend to take things very personally, especially when it comes to my writing. Usually I read it, get offended, put it in the deep, dark depths of the Communication Abyss and wait til the sting fades some. Then I evaluate everything that was said and fix anything I think needs fixing.

I'm not very good with criticism, honestly. I tend to take things very personally, especially when it comes to my writing. Usually I read it, get offended, put it in the deep, dark depths of the Communication Abyss and wait til the sting fades some. Then I evaluate everything that was said and fix anything I think needs fixing.

I'm a bit affected by negative comments, but only little. I got very few negative comments, if not none. Then, my stories does not have a huge reader base. But I get criticisms. I just try to understand the reader's POV and do the necessary.

Ieshwar

• 1 year later...

I pulled this thread up because, when I review, I always try to make at least one criticism. (Rather, when I'm not too lazy, or when the story's not too perfect in its genre -- and most stories aren't.) In a weird way, it seems impolite to review something without trying to help the author get better in some way. Am I alone in this?

And criticism is very different from ad hominem attacks or flames. Flames are stupid. Criticism isn't. I hope nobody gets discouraged from writing by flames, because -- well, they're so idiotic. I find it more understandable to be discouraged by genuine criticism, but that's when things get interesting and writing improves. Of course, not all criticism is true or applicable. The writer ultimately gets to choose. :D

for me, constructive criticism is like icing on the cake. I know that I am a writer and that writing is an ever-learning skill. One can never reach a level where you can say that I cannot grow further as a writer.

That said, constructive criticism goes a long way in helping us writers and I very much appreciate if someone criticizes me in a way that helps me evolve as a writer.

:)

BeaStKid :devil:

when I review, I always try to make at least one criticism. (Rather, when I'm not too lazy, or when the story's not too perfect in its genre -- and most stories aren't.) In a weird way, it seems impolite to review something without trying to help the author get better in some way. Am I alone in this?

Not at all. But I've learned my lesson over time that not all writers who say they want concrit really do. To be honest, before I offer concrit, I need enough of a relationship with the author to know it will be taken in the spirit that it's meant. Criticism smarts, and not everybody wants the pain -- though some will claim otherwise.

When I finish a story, I post it to my blog on a very tight filter -- visible to only about a dozen authors I trust to be honest and forthright with their feedback. It's always a bit painful, especially when group consensus necessitates some major rewriting. But, wow, invaluable.

Not at all. But I've learned my lesson over time that not all writers who say they want concrit really do. To be honest, before I offer concrit, I need enough of a relationship with the author to know it will be taken in the spirit that it's meant. Criticism smarts, and not everybody wants the pain -- though some will claim otherwise.

When I finish a story, I post it to my blog on a very tight filter -- visible to only about a dozen authors I trust to be honest and forthright with their feedback. It's always a bit painful, especially when group consensus necessitates some major rewriting. But, wow, invaluable.

I always find criticism hard to take, at first. But then read I read over it a few times, and see the truth in it, (if there is any) and then I look over my work and assess the situation. Though, I really hate the flaming comments- if someone doesn't like your work, or is bored, do they really have to take it upon themselves to tell you? They know they're being immature and hurtful. I've learned to ignore them, but it used to bother me. About a month ago, I got an email from a reader who said he no longer wanted to read my series because he said it was getting too sad and dramatic and he wanted happy writer. A year or so ago I would have replied snappily, but this time I told him I apologize for the plot changes, but things would get better, if he continued reading. I also said that not everyone will like my writing and I've accepted it. I told him I appreciated his email either way. Talk about growth and maturity. :D

Like Libby has stated, it depends on your relationship with the person or if you trust them. I have a good relationship with my editor, and I trust her to tell me how it is and she does. I don't always like it, and sometimes we're going back and forth, but in the end, I'm always satisfied with the product.

Having said that, as a writer, there is always space to grow and improve. No one is perfect and anyone who claims to be is a total ass. Really.

It really does depend on how the criticism is presented. When offering advice, some tact is necessary, otherwise the author will feel attacked and belittled. Giving good criticism, and in the proper fashion, is an art in itself.