[Vlista] Unbreakable Faith Chapter 6

Ian's world is going to get alot more confusing before it gets better, and I'm afraid that he is going to alienate everybody before they figure out just what kind of hell he was living in. I hope the Harveys can help by filling in some of the blanks with the other boys so they don't turn on Ian.

Well, no Nathan, but I think that Jeff might be attracted to Ian. He was staring at Ian when he came out of the bathroom, and he seemed a little too nice to Ian, since Ian was such a freek in school. I think it would be great if they ended up together, but if not, Jeff may end up being the buffer that Ian needs between the real world, and the world he was living in.

Good chapter, good story, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Ex.

Edited by ex52tech
Ian's world is going to get alot more confusing before it gets better, and I'm afraid that he is going to alienate everybody before they figure out just what kind of hell he was living in. I hope the Harveys can help by filling in some of the blanks with the other boys so they don't turn on Ian.

Well, no Nathan, but I think that Jeff might be attracted to Ian. He was staring at Ian when he came out of the bathroom, and he seemed a little too nice to Ian, since Ian was such a freek in school. I think it would be great if they ended up together, but if not, Jeff may end up being the buffer that Ian needs between the real world, and the world he was living in.

Ex.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I'm curious as to what information the detectives were looking for and hopefully we'll find out soon if Tony is doing OK. I do think that Ian's going to have a tough time adjusting and the house parents continue to give him guidance.

Steve

Steve

I think Ian's "parents" made him OCD, with all of their obssesiveness and punishments and such. I have a feeling that even after years of being out in the real world, our Ian darling will still be a bit Monk-ish (as in, OCD, for those who don't get the TV reference).

I have a feeling that even after he realises that he doesn't have to worry about getting punished for every single thing, he'll still pray every night, though he might start watching TV...I'm not completely sure. I can't see him ever being completely normal, though.

I don't know what Jeff's exact role in Ian's future will be, but I can see him being a good friend. I'm really hoping to see more of Nathan, though. I appreciate what he did almost as much as Ian does! And I know neither one of them exists....but..well, you know.

Great chapter, Vance!

Ex.

Agree's with it, It will take time, as ex says's Ian will probably piss his roomates off, some day he'll be able to not still think like, ian still is with his parents.

Poor Ian - he's a real fish out of water isn't he?

I suppose the Harvey's are respecting his privacy by not telling the other kids what his problems are, but it might help if they could get to them to lay off him a bit.

Thanks, Vance.

LF

Ian has had his life planned for the past 10 years or so, I don't think even the Harvey's will know everything. I thought Ian was adapting well to the sudden change he has found himself in.

Ian has alway been told when you do a job do it right first time or except the consequences of the Adults. Ian doesn't know any different than that. Ian like to please people, so he doesn't get the crap beaten out of him. It is other people that damage Ian, Not Ian himself

Ian is kind and loving he has just had nobody to show it to, until Tony came along

Ian needs to find a good friend and a father figure to guide him, to stop him destroying himself. I think Ian will need intensive counselling and leaving him alone to figure thing out maybe a bit hard for him to deal with all the changes

another great chapter

Another great chapter Vance :2thumbs:

Ian's got a LOT of adjusting to do. I agree that his roomates need to lay off him a bit. I'm just glad to see that Ian is in a safe place now.

Can't wait till the next chapter. Maybe Ian and Nathan will meet again?

Hi all!

I don't write very often about stories I read, but this one really grabs me. I think if someone will tell these boys about just what Ian has been subjected to, we would see most of them trying their best to help Ian to adapt to his new life. I would like very much to see that. I also hope that Ian gets to see Tony. I think Tony is going to need him. Thanks for a great story. I have loved everything you have written. :great:

I suppose the Harvey's are respecting his privacy by not telling the other kids what his problems are, but it might help if they could get to them to lay off him a bit.

Thanks, Vance.

LF

I was thinking the same thing after I posted. Ian may never be normal, or ok. His chances of being misunderstood for the rest of his life are pretty good.

That boy needs a good theropist, and I know some of you are going to balk on this one, but he needs a good minister to show him where his adopted fathers interpertation of the bible and something a little closer to reality differ.

Ian's confusion is going to snowball unless someone steps in and quick.

Ex.

Hi, I'm Mark and new to the board.

Wow, I must say, thats quite hard to read. But, well, THESE DAMN THINGS HAPPEN ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Here in Germany there are some politicans (sorry, don't know, if this ist right!!), that made horribly mistakes. Now, a two year old boy is dead. Why? Cause the officals all knew since 6 months, that the "father" is a junkie and cannot raise a child. But nothing happened, NOTHING :devil:

Then I read Cameron, Shane (best Story, I think!!!) and Tyler. Now I read all the Chapters von Ian.

I get so frustrated, I can't describe how I feel.

Thanks for the writing. I think, it is very important, that more and more people break the tabu and speak or write about the topics, which will be forgotten in the world.

My great respect and honor to VANCE...

Thanks... MARK

Thanks, Vance.

LF

Yeah, I completely agree. I mean, all his house mates know he has problems, or he wouldn't be there. If they knew what they were, they might still get pissed of, but at least they would know why.

I agree that Ian is going to require a long period of adjustment, and may always be somewhat scarred by his abusive upbringing. I don't worry too much about his fellow housemates--I think Jeff has already made a good case for compassion towards Ian, and I think that he will continue to buffer Ian as needed. I predict the adjustments will provide the interest for the remaining chapters of the story, and it will be an interesting story at that.

The last chapter ends on Friday afternoon a little before the end of school. My fairy-tale-loving self imagines Nathan stopping by, coming home with Jeff. Ian then says to Nathan, "You're not alowed to visit me." Jeff counters, "Of course he is," and Ian continues to argue until Mrs. Harvey steps in and asks Nathan if he would like to stay for dinner, at which point Ian finally realizes he's a much better world than he used to be. Of course, that was my fairy-tale fantasizing over the weekend. We'll see what Vance writes for us next week.

And in two days of story-time, it will be Sunday, and time for Ian and the Harveys to deal with the Sunday morning dilemma: Ian can probably go to some church, but it would be VERY awkward for him to go to his father's old church, and he and the Harveys are going to have to work out this problem. It then leads to what ex has said above about finding a good minister. And the right minister CAN serve as a therapist, if Ian's lucky. But Vance doesn't always provide his characters with sufficient luck--witness Tyler's draw of one bad foster family after another.

Waiting eagerly but patiently for next week's chapter...

--Rigel

The poor kid is definitly confused, and has been conditioned to be obsessive. I hope he gets help soon, becuase he sure needs it. However, no matter what, he is far better off out of the hell he was living in.

And in two days of story-time, it will be Sunday, and time for Ian and the Harveys to deal with the Sunday morning dilemma: Ian can probably go to some church, but it would be VERY awkward for him to go to his father's old church, and he and the Harveys are going to have to work out this problem.

Oh, good point Rigel, I hadn't thought about what Ian's going to want to do in terms of church. That entire day was always orchestrated by the folks, so what's Ian going to do with himself?

Vic

Oh, good point Rigel, I hadn't thought about what Ian's going to want to do in terms of church. That entire day was always orchestrated by the folks, so what's Ian going to do with himself?

Vic

I guess I haden't thought so much about whether or not Ian was going to want to go to church.

I was more concerned about how his fathers congregation was going to react to the "good reverend", and his wifes incarceration, and how far they would go to let Ian know how they felt about him turning his parents in. (you know that's what they are going to think).

If that congregation did nothing about Ian's obvious physical, and mental abuse, and if they indeed did dislike Ian, as he described in the first chapter, then they will not react well to Ian when he comes into contact with any of them.

I know how I think that will effect Ian's recovery, and his mental adjustment to the real world.

What do you guys think?

Ex.

Edited by ex52tech

Im pretty sure Ian (my name is ian too, this feels so wierd typing this), if he goes back to his fathers church, will

mos def be the one on to blame in the followers eyes. (Either that or they will be happy that the reverend is

gone (i always look on the other end of the stick lol)) The followers will definatley try to do something to

Ian. Im pretty sure they want to kill him, but i wonder if the new Reverend will be nice and freindly! If so, he will most likely want to be freinds w/Ian! Although that could get.....ummm.....messy? \'Too freindly\' would probly be a beter choice of words (idk where i got messy). IDK though, i jus started to read this story the day the 6th chapter was put out. It took some time to get into butim glad i did. I cant wait till the next chapter!!!

Edited by The Reaper
And in two days of story-time, it will be Sunday, and time for Ian and the Harveys to deal with the Sunday morning dilemma: Ian can probably go to some church, but it would be VERY awkward for him to go to his father's old church, and he and the Harveys are going to have to work out this problem. But Vance doesn't always provide his characters with sufficient luck--witness Tyler's draw of one bad foster family after another.

Waiting eagerly but patiently for next week's chapter...

--Rigel

I haden't even entertained the thought of Ian going back to his old church, unless he feels drawn there for no other reason than force of habbit. I mean he can't even get past the "no T.V." crap, so I could see him walking right into the old church, and right into a lynch mob......then we could be witness to a real emotional train wreck, and all the complications that will go with it. Talk about a set back.

I agree, Vance is a "little shit" about NOT doling out much luck to his characters. :D So there. :P Sorry Kurt. :P

Ex.

I hadn't even entertained the thought of Ian going back to his old church, unless he feels drawn there for no other reason than force of habit. I mean he can't even get past the "no T.V." crap, so I could see him walking right into the old church, and right into a lynch mob......then we could be witness to a real emotional train wreck, and all the complications that will go with it. Talk about a set back.

Ex.

Ian IS a creature of habit. He still prays at meals and at bedtime. (Of course, he's only been sprung from the clutches of the Weavers a few days.) It's obvious he's going to want to go to church on Sunday morning, and will be very uncomfortable if he isn't in church during those hours. And he'll be also very uncomfortable if he goes to his old church. If I were Mr. Harvey, I'd make sure Ian had the opportunity to go to a different church. It would be good if he good find a church with a permissive atmosphere (say, Unitarians or Congregationalists), but Ian might also desire a church that can come close to replicating the rituals he's used to (given that Ian calls the pastor's home a rectory, my guess is that the Weavers were Episcopalians or something like that), and only Vance know what options exist in Ian's town.

--Rigel

Regarding the "no T.V. crap"--

I rarely watch television, having weaned myself off of it back in my college days, when I was just too busy with other extra-curricular activities to watch. These days, I see television on rare occasions. The little of television I DO catch convinces me that it is largely "a vast wasteland." as Newton Minow once said. If Ian isn't hooked by habit on the second-rate drivel that constitutes much of programming, it's quite possible that he won't like what he sees. When "I'm not permitted to watch" turns into "I'm not interested in watching," Ian will have established a strength of character to do what he wants, instead of what others demand or expect him to do.

(Yes, there ARE good programs and intelligent documentaries and wonderful old movies, particualrly if you've got cable, but the stuff that's going to get watched in the group home is probably not that.)

--Rigel