[dkstories] Chapter 37

Wow. Reading the unrolling of the battle remains me the Battle of Midway !

DK underlining the importance of the lack of sleep shows that he has a lot of military "experiences" himself :great:

Once again, it was like a Symphony, "molto vivace" movement. :worship:

Awesome Chapter!

Minimal casualties inflicted on the republic, an entire rebellion fleet gone, thousands of rebellion soldiers captured, and of course, no long-term source of the precious armor for the rebellion. However, thats not to say that the fleet didn't send a few shipments back to obduros before Garret swept their forces away. Still... I'd say a celebration is in order, this was a major victory.

Coming off a major victory like that... enemy morale is bound to be low while Garret's own forces will be very confident. Garret Atrix's name should be putting fear into his enemies by now... whispers going through their ranks about an undefeatable demon of a commander preparing for the close around them... especially if its Garret's spies starting the whisper :P

Come to think of it... Garret's spies should be weaving a slightly different story... the liberator is coming! Prosperity will be coming back with the Republic's return! Let the traitors' fear speak for itself and get straight to preparing the populations of the worlds under their dominion for rejoining the republic.

Initially I thought quick action should be taken to ride this victory on to another one... reports of overwhelming defeat followed by the appearance of a battle tested Republic fleet over obduros would probably set leonev's forces into total chaos. On the other hand, Garret does need time to plan for that invasion rather than winging it. His own forces need some time to regroup, repair, resupply, and eventually, redeploy. Giving this massive victory a few weeks to set in the minds of the people on the traitor world might be a good thing... giving them time to accept the eventual loss of leonev and what it means for them... but it would also mean giving time for Leonev to alter his strategy and put some of that armor into play.

Hehe... it all comes down to the dilemma and the personality. Personally, I'd go for quick and essential repairs and regrouping, then hit obduros with everything I had. Give the enemy just enough time for it to sink in just how much they lost in this defeat, then hit them again before they have time to regain their senses and put whatever ore shipments they did get to good use.

Now... how to bring the traitor worlds back into the republic? A huge propaganda campaign might well be in order.

Patiently awaiting the next chapter, Dan! :worship:

I loved this chapter!!!!!

This whole story has been great but the battle was fantastic :2thumbs:

Now the question.

It would take them several jumps at maximum power to rendezvous with Billy, with more than one jump each day. They would have to travel at maximum acceleration each time after a jump to make the rendezvous. Then it would take three more jumps before they reached a good staging area for the attack on Calos. That gave him time to prepare a battle plan, but it also gave the enemy plenty of time to plunder Lemos. If they were there for a quick hit and snatch raid, they

I love battle scenes, and this one was very well done indeed. :2thumbs:

When describing a battle, the biggest hurdle is often to give the reader a clear picture of the relative locations of the forces. DK does this very well indeed.

OK, if anyone else but DK was writing this, I'd say that what we have just seen was the dramatic climax of the story. However, I am NOT making that prediction here!

DK gave us a big hint in his blog; he said he wouldn't be cruel enough to make us wait between chapters 39 and 40. I think that means something big happens in 39 and 40. Something very big indeed.

Hmmm, sending Maseko and Paul away though, makes me really wonder what is going on there. I note that there is no mention that they have arrived safely on Calos.

One thing that really struck me was the use of the masculine pronoun for a ship. That is definitely something they got from the Russians, and with a single word reminded me of the Russian heritage, just in time to totally mislead me as to the battle strategy, which was very un-Russian! Sneaky, sneaky! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Now the question.
It would take them several jumps at maximum power to rendezvous with Billy, with more than one jump each day. They would have to travel at maximum acceleration each time after a jump to make the rendezvous. Then it would take three more jumps before they reached a good staging area for the attack on Calos. That gave him time to prepare a battle plan, but it also gave the enemy plenty of time to plunder Lemos. If they were there for a quick hit and snatch raid, they
:o Damn! I caught the other place where he did that and missed this one.

I think it was strategy on Garret's part!

Think about it: Garret attacking his own main base and seat of power is, certainly, a move that Leonov would never expect.... 0:)

Seriously though, what are Leonov's strategic options now? I don't see him being the type to just sit still and fight a conventional losing battle. He is now definitely in "high risk" mode, because he has literally nothing to lose.

So, what are his options? If he has some unconventional trick to threaten a planet with destruction, he would likely use it now. (Goodby Pelladon?). Or, what about an armed strike into the Empire . That would likely bring the Sol Empire into the war. True, maybe not on his side, but at this point, he has nothing to lose, so a long shot is preferable to a certain defeat.

Edited by C James
After reading everyone's reactions, I just had to go and re-read Chapter 38 again....you're going to love it!

I'm really looking forward to it! There are just so darn many possibilities on where it will go. It is one of the most thought-provoking stories I've ever seen. :2thumbs:

Yeah, 38 is strong (so go read it), but 39/40 just blew me away!

I just read 38... OMG! Seems like my perfectly (wrong) powers of prediction have failed! You and I were both right about you-know-who...

But if 39 and 40 are even more powerful than 38, Yipes!!! :blink: