[dkstories] Let's Do It, Chapter 4

Ouch! Poor Brian!!! That was not exactly an unexpected occurance, if it occurs, but, still, OUCH. Especially on his birthday!

This is very intriguing, seeing things from Brian's point of view.

:2thumbs:

Hi everybody.

After The Bully, DoH, TRP, I'm happy to meet Davey again ! And to meet him through the eyes of Brian is even more amazing. I suppose that the Davey of this story is even nearer to the real Davey (I mean DK) than the others from DO and DOR. :rolleyes:

The style of DK is something special. I could say why, but I'm definitively a DK's fan ! :worship:

As promised, I'm back to add my $0.02 worth.

The premise of the Do Over series has to be one of the most fertile for exploring different probabilities and outcomes of any I've seen before. The idea's not entirely new, but Dan exploits it to the fullest and probably better than any other author I've ever read - and I'm talking the mainstream literature as well. One of the best movies exploiting the multiple outcome theme, BTW, is the German film, Lola Rennt (Run, Lola, Run), which explores 3 different outcomes based on subtle variations in timing.

Now back for our fourth view in the life Davey and Brian, we're actually getting to see things as they were in the original, but for us, unseen timeline, which happens to correspond to our own. As I stated before, I think the reason Dan may have taken the approach of erasing all previous time travel is that it offers the possibility of reconciling the "final outcome", if there ever will be a final outcome, with something that could still happen (even the original DO can't be reconciled with our timeline anymore, since the unblemished timeline ended in 2004 - LDI brings it back). But I digress . . .

Chapter 4 continues something we started to see in Chapter 3. Brian is continuing to distance himself from his friends, Trevor and Brandon, and that I predict will have consequences of its own. In the meantime, Brian is becoming closer and closer to Davey, but not apparently close enough to keep Davey from fooling around with (Big Red) Todd, whom we've met in earlier DO stories. The real eye-opener of Chapter 4, however, is that we learn just how poor and desperate Davey is in this timeline. He's having to work 2 jobs, just so his family can survive (although a car sure seems like a luxury to me under the circumstances). His mother's going to undergo a costly operation and although Nanna is paying for it, his mother will be in S.F. for a while and it's going to cost money to spend time with her. Brian's mother comes to the rescue by suggesting that Davey et al. use an apartment in Uncle Rich's house, which Brian owns. Bless her heart. Overall, I like the way things are going, the fooling around with Todd aside. :D

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is I'm getting a headache trying to keep all of the different timelines straight, especially since I just finished reading the whole series again. Once I got to Chapter 4 of Let's Do It, I was confused because I was thinking that the past should have been Brian's past from his point of view. As I was reading through this thread, it dawned on me just before reading Altimexis post that Sean & Brian had erased everything. I didn't realize that originally because in the story it was described as blocking the signals of the other time travelers. For now, it makes perfect sense as long as I don't think about it anymore. If I think some more, I'll just get confused again! :unsure:

Now, just get to wait patiently for Chapter 5 and Chapter 10 of The Bully!

What I undertand is that this Do Over sent Brian back to the original time line (where Davey departs as an adult to do the first Do Over.

Except that the Brian who goes back isn't the original Brian, but rather a Brian from the timeline of "Doing it Right," whose life diverged from the original Brian because he was affected from a young age through age 16 (almost 17) by a Davey who had been through several previous timelines himself.

--Rigel