True Self?

MMandM

What is your true self or personality? Is it when you're alone? Or when you're around other people? Or both? My truest self is a mass of contradictions. I am flexible, yet stubborn- sentimental, yet realistic- funny, yet serious-loyal, yet unable to commit. Sometimes my favorite color is blue- other times it's green. Sometimes I love summer and other times I long for winter. Sometimes I'm the life of the party, and other times I just want peace and solitude. Sometimes I feel like I'll never get there, and other times I know I've already arrived.

And my home is wherever I am with people who know and believe all of the above about me - and like having me around anyway.

• Site Administrator

You ask some interesting questions, Mark :)

I don't think I can answer this one. I believe I'm my true self all the time, because my "true self" is part of me, not a situation I'm in. If the question was where am I most comfortable, I would have to say being quiet with company (who don't have to be quiet). I don't like being alone, but I'm not a party person. I like to have people around, but I don't need to be interacting with them -- listening them to interact with each other is often very enjoyable.

I think everyone has lots of contradictions to their personality; I certainly do. I also know that I couldn't even begin to describe the complexity of my true self in a paragraph. Hell, I can't even decide for myself sometimes. Who I really am is not something I share with the world; even those closest to me don't know my exact self.

What is your true self or personality? Is it when you're alone? Or when you're around other people? Or both? My truest self is a mass of contradictions. I am flexible, yet stubborn- sentimental, yet realistic- funny, yet serious-loyal, yet unable to commit. Sometimes my favorite color is blue- other times it's green. Sometimes I love summer and other times I long for winter. Sometimes I'm the life of the party, and other times I just want peace and solitude. Sometimes I feel like I'll never get there, and other times I know I've already arrived.

And my home is wherever I am with people who know and believe all of the above about me - and like having me around anyway.

That describes you perfectly, especially the part I highlight in bold and larger font B)

True self eh? : D

I'm my true self; whenever, whereever. The fact that I sometimes put on masks is a part of my true self, too. I don't like to hide my usual side of my personality, though -- and that's when I'm laughing or having fun =]

Hmm, oddly enough I agree with absolutely everything you just said to the pint that I could practically have written it myself.

LOL, so I suppose there's almost very little point in me chiming in further. :boy:

-Kevin

I'm not sure about my true self, but I know I feel the most comfortable when I am completely alone. I'm at my happiest when either the house or the apartment is empty... almost like I'm in my own world where I can do as I please without reprisal. In fact, I keep all doors and windows closed and all blinds drawn, to keep the outside world from invading mine. Normally I get a little gay at these times and cruise GA, read stories, write, or watch QAF, lmao. The point is, anything that I do is done on my own terms and in my own time, which leads me to believe Johny Cash was infinitismally correct when he said, "The richest man is a pauper at times, when compared to the man with a satisfied mind." I hold those words to be very dear and true.

I'm insane. I'm narcissistic, yet I hate the way I look... but I would so do me. I have terrible anxiety around people whose opinions and love of me haven't been measured, but I would die without social interaction. I can never decide what I should be doing, but I know I should be doing it.

I think I'm just a normal kid, lol. Truly, I don't see that much difference from person to person. So, my true self? I really like to think that my true self is just this wide-eyed, amazed little boy walking through the world and playing with the big kids' toys. :D

What is your true self or personality? Is it when you're alone? Or when you're around other people? Or both? My truest self is a mass of contradictions.

This is very introspective thread. I suspect that we all have at least a couple of faces. You're a lawyer, Mark, and have to play several roles on a daily basis. I was in the restaurant business - which I loved - and was interacting with hundreds of people each evening. 99% of the people were fabulous. And I always enjoyed a little eye candy when a group of Marines from Twentynine Palms or stud muffins from LA/Orange County came in. :P

Once I figured things out sexually - I was a late bloomer - it took a long time for me to be honest with others. I finally developed a stance where I never brought up the "G" word but never denied my sexuality if asked. One regret was never coming out to my mother (she has since passed away). I was the only child and I suspected, from her comments, that she wouldn't approve. I know...maybe it was cowardly on my part, but it was a different era.

Jack B)

amazed little boy walking through the world and playing with the big kids' toys.

...I'll not comment what sprung to my mind when I read about these 'toys'. Even the word 'sprung' seems suggestive now...

Anyway, my true self. I don't know. I'm rubbish at doing things like this really... not sure why. Just don't seem to have the knack for it. I know that I'm shy and I can be quite happy when I'm on my own but if I have a few days without anyone else then I start to get really bored. ummm... to be honest I can't really say much about my true self at all. I'm no good at looking at myself really. Oh well, at least I got to attempt to get a possible interpretation of these 'big boys toys' mentioned :P As far as my true self I'm pretty sure that theres other people who know a lot more than I do about me on this sight. Which is typical really. Me being the only one who doesn't know what I'm like sums me up I suppose in a way. And if that makes sence to you then congratulations, because it confuses me no end.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is too much stimulation for me. My personal take is that I am here as a gift from God and I have been given a set amount of time to enjoy and experience the things which are here and going on around me. This includes the sad joy of experiencing pain and grief. After all are not pain and grief also gifts since they allow me to better enjoy happy moments such as love and even solitude? Wishful thinking perhaps?

Oh, that's easy...there are many true selves because who we are is a matter of perception by observers, and those perceptions can differ dramatically. Personally, I don't concern myself with 'who I am' but, rather, what I do. I leave the perceptions to others. :blink:

I'm not sure about my true self, but I know I feel the most comfortable when I am completely alone. I'm at my happiest when either the house or the apartment is empty... almost like I'm in my own world where I can do as I please without reprisal. In fact, I keep all doors and windows closed and all blinds drawn, to keep the outside world from invading mine. Normally I get a little gay at these times and cruise GA, read stories, write, or watch QAF, lmao. The point is, anything that I do is done on my own terms and in my own time, which leads me to believe Johny Cash was infinitismally correct when he said, "The richest man is a pauper at times, when compared to the man with a satisfied mind." I hold those words to be very dear and true.

Hmm, I'm probably out of line for suggesting this, but perhaps you would find a great deal of happiness and contentment if you somehow let your world invade the outside world, instead of merely taking steps to prevent the outside world's invasion of your own.

...I'll not comment what sprung to my mind when I read about these 'toys'. Even the word 'sprung' seems suggestive now...

Anyway, my true self. I don't know. I'm rubbish at doing things like this really... not sure why. Just don't seem to have the knack for it. I know that I'm shy and I can be quite happy when I'm on my own but if I have a few days without anyone else then I start to get really bored. ummm... to be honest I can't really say much about my true self at all. I'm no good at looking at myself really. Oh well, at least I got to attempt to get a possible interpretation of these 'big boys toys' mentioned :PAs far as my true self I'm pretty sure that theres other people who know a lot more than I do about me on this sight. Which is typical really. Me being the only one who doesn't know what I'm like sums me up I suppose in a way. And if that makes sence to you then congratulations, because it confuses me no end.

LOL, of course it confuses you and makes sense to us...isn't that how you said it worked :P:boy:

Actually it makes a lot of sense to me. It's often invaluable to get someone else's input on matters relating to yourself. First and foremost I think one's own opinions and decisions are paramount; however there's certainly no substitute for a fresh, outside perspective. And we mustn't forget the old adage of not being able to see the forest for the trees.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is too much stimulation for me. My personal take is that I am here as a gift from God and I have been given a set amount of time to enjoy and experience the things which are here and going on around me. This includes the sad joy of experiencing pain and grief. After all are not pain and grief also gifts since they allow me to better enjoy happy moments such as love and even solitude? Wishful thinking perhaps?

Ahh the old "bitter and sweet", "no good without the bad" analogy. It's compelling, and quite logical, and yet to me it doesn't really hold true. Do I need to experience (my own) death to gain insights into (my own) life [one could easily say that it is necessary to experience death in general in order to better understand life, but that's not what I mean]? Is it necessary to taste something nasty in order to appreciate something delectable? Is there pleasure without pain? Light without darkness? Basically happiness without misery?

Many would easily answer "no, it is necessary to experience these other things to understand their antitheses". I, however, would disagree. There is goodness without bad, light without darkness. It's simpler, more pure even. People are the ones who over-think it. Something is good or bad in its own right.

I say this as a complete and total relativist, who holds firmly behind the idea that nothing is black and white and who also believes that all experiences have an intrinsic value. Certainly the "bad" increases one's appreciation, and PERHAPS one's understanding of the "good", but I definitely don't think they facilitate its very existance or the capacity to enjoy it. Then again you did say "better enjoy" and not simply "enjoy", so I suppose we're in complete agreement on this one.

I interpret

Hmm, I'm probably out of line for suggesting this, but perhaps you would find a great deal of happiness and contentment if you somehow let your world invade the outside world, instead of merely taking steps to prevent the outside world's invasion of your own.

I'm afraid I don't understand what it is that you are suggesting. In fact, I think you're high as kite. Are you saying I should prance around the court in my underpants? :blink:

Well, MY true self is still out there. I have an idea of what my true self is, but honestly, i dont think im ever going to find it. Life is NOT a journey, life is NOT a path, or a stream, or a river or bird or a roller coaster, its a point of view. Its an outlook that i believe everyone should have.

Today's world has become so over technical that i dont think anyone's "job" has to do with their true self. I hear people say "i love what i do. Therefore its not a job, its a love." No, as funny as that sounds, i think our true self comes out when we sit and stare at our accomplishments. And not the trophy you got when you nailed the game winning three point shot, but your kids, your family, your friends. THOSE are accomplishments. And i must say, that even though i may never find my true self, i know i can find what makes me, me if i just turn around look.

Also, for me personally, i feel at home when im one with nature. Like, i feel at home when im on a beach starring off into the sunset. Thats when i feel most like myself.

I'm afraid I don't understand what it is that you are suggesting. In fact, I think you're high as kite. Are you saying I should prance around the court in my underpants? :blink:

LOL, NO, that wasn't what I was suggesting. You said that you feel most like yourself when you're alone, doing and thinking whatever you please. Thus, presumably the reason you don't feel as much like yourself with others is because you're letting their presence effect your thoughts, behaviour, and words. I guess in simplest terms I was suggesting that you try to "be yourself" around others as well. It's not always easy, and few people ever get there completely, but it can be quite nice :)

...and if that doesn't work show them your underpants :boy:

Also, for me personally, i feel at home when im one with nature. Like, i feel at home when im on a beach starring off into the sunset. Thats when i feel most like myself.

With respect, I think you mean that's when you most feel you belong. You don't get that feeling in big cities or on busy highways, only when you communicate with the living universe of which you are an integral part.

Edited by GaryKelly

I think i am always myself but there are times i am more myself than others, there are only about four people i will be completly myself with i will say what i am feeling no matter what it is and will act an idiot if that is what i am in the mood to do i am just me how i am feeling at that point in time.

That said i have irrationale moods and go on a downward spiral and will tend to hide my moods when i feel that low simply because i feel like shutting everyone out when i am like that but i amw orking on it.

I am many things just like Luc listed there is not just a few things to describe me parts of me are confident or insecure or irrationale whilst i can be very rationale, i am friendly but anti social, i have fun but get depressed, just too many parts to list really and it all depends who i am with at any given point in time and of course how i am feeling and if i want to share those feelings with the world.

Edited by Mark_l