i've caught myself imagining every so often what it would be like if there were a GA convention where somehow all the active members from this site ended up in one place for a day of... something. camping? homosexuals in the woods?

it's weird though. imagining what everyone would look/sound/smell (hopefully we'd behave enough not to feel/taste) like.

i have no idea where i expect this to go.

just imagine for a few minutes.

i'll regret posting this in the morning because it sounds ridiculous. but for now, i giggle.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

It would certainly be interesting. Some people would be disappointed, though, to find out that the person online isn't the real life person they imagined. For example, despite over 2000 posts here at GA, I think you'd find that I'll be one of the quiet ones in the corner. I'm naturally introverted when I'm in a stress environment, and a convention with lots of people I don't really know would count as a stress environment for me :D

It could be interesting meeting the people that we know only by internet pseudonym and the colourful little picture next to their post.

But the logistics of it would be attrocious.

Who would choose the definition of 'active', would there be an age limit (lower probably) how would people from different countries do it.

It'd be fun, yeah, but a nightmare to organise.. and for some of us, a nightmare to attend.

*sits in the corner quietly sipping the bottle of beer he legally purchased, due to the meeting being held in the UK*

• Site Administrator
*sits in the corner quietly sipping the bottle of beer he legally purchased, due to the meeting being held in the UK*

While I'll concede the UK is more central than Australia, I still want to put forward that Sydney is a wonderful, gay friendly city that has lots to offer for lots of visitors.... B)

But I have trouble with the 9 hour flight to texas, how will I cope with the ... 17? hour flight to Sydney.

*cry*

Actually I'd love to spend time down in the old prison colony, meet some kangaroos and a few sharks maybe.

But I'll avoid the box 'jellyfish' thank you very much.

And please.. no fosters..

What about the ones who dont drive yet?

Why dontcha'll come on down(up?) to Connecticut. There are more than enough woods here and then I could actually go instead of riding my cousins bicycle ALL the way to the UK and/or Austraila. Im a bit shaky on how Im susposed to ride a bike accross the ocean(s?), you know cause I cant afford a boat either...

Hey, I gots an idea!

Why dont we all make PortKeys and we can then get tugged by an invisable hook in our belly-buttons to the same place! Like the Moon! Or Mars! Whatcha think?!

• Site Administrator
But I have trouble with the 9 hour flight to texas, how will I cope with the ... 17? hour flight to Sydney.

From London? Try 23 hours. I've done that trip too many times....

And please.. no fosters..

Deal! My favourite beer (lager) is Cascade, from Tasmania, but you can also get a handful of UK beers here if you're really homesick.

Lol, you people and Beer. shew.

I personally like Fruity beverages. I'd also like to visit the UK, but that's for the shopping... sorry, but clothes always win out in the end. I also don't do the tent camping thing either. I need a cabin before I call it camping. :)

Krista

The UK for.. shopping?

I hope you've got a house to mortgage.. especially if you stray in to London.

23 hours.. dang. *wonders where he got 17 from*. Maybe I'll invent a properly working SCRAMJet, and cut it down to five..

I agree with Krista, a cabin w/ a working bathroom, at the very least, has to be available. I really wouldnt like mistaking poison-ivy for "safe" leaves, no thank you.

And I don't like beer at all... I havent tried many (no more then 4 or 5) drinks, (im so sheltered) but I do Like Smirnof Ice Green Apple.

Oh, and Ive only been outta the US once, for 2005s new years I went to Niagra Falls in Canada for 2 days.

Edited by Kanaye

Yes, interesting is the word.

But what is more interesting is the idea of so many gays at one place! This mean, no need of that bitch gaydar! Ok,I can't even dream about it. You're sure that we can't taste or feel? :P Just joking, guys!

But it would be nice to finally these persons with whom we share our so many secrets, joy and griefs. Yeah, would be nice.

I was thinking of a nice huge gala-party. Everyone in tuxedo and formal dress. Preferably black. With nice soft background music. And as for the place, why don't you chose Mauritius? It's really beautiful and about 2000 tourists will give our lame economy a little boost.

Ieshwar

Yes, interesting is the word.

But what is more interesting is the idea of so many gays at one place! This mean, no need of that bitch gaydar! Ok,I can't even dream about it. You're sure that we can't taste or feel? :P Just joking, guys!

But it would be nice to finally these persons with whom we share our so many secrets, joy and griefs. Yeah, would be nice.

I was thinking of a nice huge gala-party. Everyone in tuxedo and formal dress. Preferably black. With nice soft background music. And as for the place, why don't you chose Mauritius? It's really beautiful and about 2000 tourists will give our lame economy a little boost.

Ieshwar

I guess Switzerland would also be great!!!

I think for Andy & Graeme's sake, it should be held in a big room with lots of cubicles, wireless access, and a laptop for everyone. :lol:

Lol. I think that'd work better overall really. :P

Krista

I'm shocked to see someone finally post about this after I've been begging you guys to bug Myr about it for a while now. I keep tellin you to PM and email him and remind him we should have a convention (preferably in Dallas ;) ) for everyone!

Actually now might be a bad time to bug him so I wouldn't suggest doing that :P

It is interesting to see what ideas you guys come up with here though. Keep them coming and who knows, maybe some day it really will come true!

Joe

Funny, when I had first came here, I thought you guys had met before! I mean, you all were so at ease and knew so much about each other that I was sure there must have been some kinda annual meeting.

Ieshwar

Ok. Let's all met at Joey's!

:P Tob

I'll second that!!! :2thumbs:

PS> Joe how big is your bed because I'm not driving all the way back here after the convention down there. I would take the guest bed, but I'm certain your saving that for Myr. Oh yeah and it's a single then I'll let yeah sleep on the floor... :lmao:

If this came at a time when I had the finances and time available, I'd totally show up. It's a really awesome idea. I don't see how we could expect anyone to come from one continent to another, though. I happen to know that a plane ticket to england is over a thousand bucks, so I dread to think what one to Sydney would cost.

Well, we can think about details if it ever becomes a reality, lol. I'd definitely go just to meet a few people in person.

Well, we can think about details if it ever becomes a reality, lol. I'd definitely go just to meet a few people in person.

I wasn't totally paying attention to this last bit Razor and actually thought the last word was Prison. :blink:

I happen to know that a plane ticket to england is over a thousand bucks, so I dread to think what one to Sydney would cost.

You just need a really good Travel agent who knows when to buy tickets.

I'm going to Italy in September. Our travel agent found us tickets for $400. I recommended her to my boss (who leaves for Spain/Portugal tomorrow, coincidentally) who bought her tickets for $525.

We bought our tickets for Italy last December during a Christmas sale of some kind. If we had waited until now, our tickets would be in the 875 or higher price range. It's mostly just a matter of knowing well enough ahead of time to be able to snag early booking savings, holiday specials, seasonal deals, what ever air lines have to offer. If you keep that in mind you can easily find affordable air fares to just about anywhere.