Ok. Let's all met at Joey's!

Party at Joey's!!! :2thumbs:

That would be fun though. And to add to the little vision we have floating around here....we could all wear two name-tags...one on the right side of our shirt that said (for example), "Hi, I'm Xander" and then on the left side, another that said, "But in reality, I'm Ronnie."

Hey, we would need an identification system :P I mean I know what a few of you guys look like, but otherwise it would be kinda annoying having to say your name a million times :P , right?? Yeah. :P

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the events coordinator in me can't help but consider trying to come with a practical set of logistics. In real life, I've run a gathering of locals that expanded in recent years to include people from all the the world with similar interests, who met through a specialized forum website on that topic. Two years ago, attendees spanned 13 time zones, but none of the Alaskans could make it last year. Also, I actually DID meet another local GA person over dinner, and in the process, we contemplated the potential rules for inviting a larger group of GA people.

Significant others are welcomed. Some of us have boyfriends we'd like to share this world with. Some of us even have wives, and when they realize that we hang out with a group of normal people and they get to meet our on-line friends, the time we spend on GA might be less threatening to them. This place is not fundamentally about cheap sex talk, after all. Minors need to bring along a parent or two or adult guardian--sorry, but the no unaccompanied minors rule is going to needed to make sure we stay unquestionably legal and above reproach. Besides, most minors are probably too young to be traveling long distances by themselves.

Perhaps the thing to do is to have several gathering places around the globe, hooked up by internet and camera, so we can all meet a few people in person and relate to the larger crowd via the wonders of modern technology. It would probably need to be over a weekend, and given the time differences (we literally span the globe) some of us will be congregating at odd hours. (Maybe those of us in the mid-Atlantic can try a run-through of this on our own. Dinner in DC?)

There are nodules of us in Texas, Britain, India, California, the mid-Atlantic (Virginia to Maryland), New England--each group needs to find an acceptable and affordable gathering place with high-speed internet access, and bring along laptops.

This is probably a weird pipe-dream, but as George Bernard Shaw once said: "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

--Rigel

Okay, the events coordinator in me can't help but consider trying to come with a practical set of logistics.

Tet and camera, so we can all meet a few people in person and relate to the larger crowd via the wonders of modern technology. It would probably need to be over a weekend, and given the time differences (we literally span the globe) some of us will be congregating at odd hours.

This is probably a weird pipe-dream, but as George Bernard Shaw once said: "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

--Rigel

this proposal is FANTASTIC !

I agree 100% with Riegel . Here in Europa, I suppose that we are about 15 GA members. We have a lot of possibilities to be connected together and to meet (image and sound) on line, for instance through Skipe.

Riegel, if you try something, I'm with you, even on the other side of the Atlantic !

Old Bob

• Site Administrator
I happen to know that a plane ticket to england is over a thousand bucks, so I dread to think what one to Sydney would cost.

You just need a really good Travel agent who knows when to buy tickets.

I'm going to Italy in September. Our travel agent found us tickets for $400. I recommended her to my boss (who leaves for Spain/Portugal tomorrow, coincidentally) who bought her tickets for $525.

Sorry, but Jamie's right. Tickets to Europe aren't too bad because there is a lot of traffic between Europe and North America. Unfortunately, that's not true for Australia. USA to Australia return tickets are well over USD$1000 and can sometimes approach USD$2000.

Being serious for a moment, the number of members that would be able to attend any convention is probably quite low. Besides the financial cost being prohibitive for some members (especially the younger ones), some won't be able to go for social/personal reasons. I fall into that last category. One of the promises I made to my wife when we were working to keep our marriage together was that I would avoid "gay" groups. I can interact over the internet, but going somewhere to meet other gay guys (or girls) is out of the question. Sorry.

I thought this was a virtual reality place. You people are real??? :o I'll have to be nicer from now on. :P

I love the idea. :D I'll run the kissing booth! B) Don't worry, it won't be me in the booth. :lmao: It's one way of raising money to defray registration costs. :2thumbs: I'm sure there are many others.

I think the first meeting would have to be held in continental United States to maximize attendance...probably somewhere in the north-east. In terms of scheduling, I think we should be looking between 1 to 2 years down the road.

This could be bigger than Woodstock! :music:

Conner

Well, if there's even going to be any real discussion of this then there needs to be a list of how many people live in various countries/states. I mean, how many american members are there that would be able to make it? And what states do they live in? Things like that need to be known really early on. Same for european countries... how many are there in the UK? Or other places in europe etc etc... do you know what I mean?

To be totally honest with you, I figured if something like this ever did happen, it would more likely than not be held somewhere in New York.

Your ideas are awesome... keep them coming!

Well, if there's even going to be any real discussion of this then there needs to be a list of how many people live in various countries/states. I mean, how many american members are there that would be able to make it? And what states do they live in? Things like that need to be known really early on. Same for european countries... how many are there in the UK? Or other places in europe etc etc... do you know what I mean?

This works for assessing general interest, perhaps a good first step. It's my thought, though, that people won't commit in earnest unless they know the location, dates and registration costs.

Conner

We should hold it on the moon.

:D

I'm not going to the moon to hold it. I can do that here in the comfort of my own home. :P

I do like the way you think, though, given the low gravity field there! :lol:

Conner

This works for assessing general interest, perhaps a good first step. It's my thought, though, that people won't commit in earnest unless they know the location, dates and registration costs.

Conner

Only how can you decide on a location if you don't know where people are? It doesn't have to be a list of deffinate comers (don't bother making a Comment)... it just needs to be a vague list so that you can get an idea of where is convenient.

• Site Administrator

You're onto something here. I might be able to convince my wife to go if it's held off planet. I'll just enlist my youngest son to work on her. He wants to go to Saturn, so if you pick one of Saturn's moon, I think I might be able to make it....

Only how can you decide on a location if you don't know where people are? It doesn't have to be a list of deffinate comers (don't bother making a Comment)... it just needs to be a vague list so that you can get an idea of where is convenient.

Like I said, a poll might be a good first step to assess general interest. Maybe Joe could PM the entire membership (spam us :P ) and pose the question. I have no idea if that's even possible.

GA has approx. 4200 registered members. I have no idea how many guests hang out here regularly. I believe getting 100 people out to the first GA convention would be the best we could hope for. If it went well, it could grow from there. Look at the trekies. Their conventions are huge (at least I believe they are, I don't really follow them). I do know they get TV coverage from time to time.

Most members do give a location of sorts in their profile. If it's in a data base style format, maybe we could determine where the biggest pockets are. I imagine advertisers on this site may ask for that kind of info. It may be, as well, that that information is confidential or proprietary.

(don't bother making a Comment)...

Who me? 0:)

I have no idea how many guests hang out here regularly. I believe getting 100 people out to the first GA convention would be the best we could hope for. If it went well, it could grow from there.

Just now (or as of this posting), there are 178 guests logged in and 18 members logged in. While the guest to member ratio is high, if they aren't registering, I doubt they'll be coming to a convention.

Also, while we have 4200+ members, how many of them even post? If they can't be bothered to post, I doubt they'd go to a convention (Even with the complementary LRITE T-Shirts).

But starting small is a good step. If you had 20 people show up, I think that would be a success. And if you can guarantee me that Menzo was going to be there, I'm game :wub: .

Take Care®,

Vic

Just now (or as of this posting), there are 178 guests logged in and 18 members logged in. While the guest to member ratio is high, if they aren't registering, I doubt they'll be coming to a convention.

Also, while we have 4200+ members, how many of them even post? If they can't be bothered to post, I doubt they'd go to a convention (Even with the complementary LRITE T-Shirts).

But starting small is a good step. If you had 20 people show up, I think that would be a success. And if you can guarantee me that Menzo was going to be there, I'm game :wub: .

Take Care

I personally like Fruity beverages. I'd also like to visit the UK, but that's for the shopping... sorry, but clothes always win out in the end. I also don't do the tent camping thing either. I need a cabin before I call it camping. :)

Ohh, Krista! Let's meet up early before the gathering and go shopping for our "convention outfits"!

LOL, I think we should hit a spa too so that we'll be properly relaxed ;)

I'm shocked to see someone finally post about this after I've been begging you guys to bug Myr about it for a while now. I keep tellin you to PM and email him and remind him we should have a convention (preferably in Dallas ;) ) for everyone!

I'd definitely vote for Dallas...that is unless you guys wanna do it in Houston :P

There are nodules of us in Texas, Britain, India, California, the mid-Atlantic (Virginia to Maryland), New England--each group needs to find an acceptable and affordable gathering place with high-speed internet access, and bring along laptops.

To me this sounds like a very good idea!

That sounds like fun, plus Kanaye already suggested the perfect transport for that option!

Seriously, I'd definitely go if I had enough notice and if it were anywhere in the Southern region of the U.S. If it were anywhere else in the U.S. I might go if I had the notice and availability. If it were out of the country, I'd love to go, but would need alot of notice...and probably still wouldn't go :(

Great idea though :)

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

So you guys are serious? I thought you were joking. :D

In that case, well, tell me like one year before so that I can start saving money! Meeting all of you will be great but the idea seems scary, you know. What if I kinda panick? :(

Think you guys should decide about a good place where the maximum of persons can come. Most of the active guys here are from US?

Ieshwar

*tosses a scrap of paper with "New Jersey" scrawled on it into the hat of locations*

My biggest problems would be explaining to everyone where I was going *not at ALL out except to a possible **** buddy* and finances, since I make maybe $5,000.00 per year, and that all goes into my car in some fashion.

Ohh, Krista! Let's meet up early before the gathering and go shopping for our "convention outfits"!

LOL, I think we should hit a spa too so that we'll be properly relaxed ;)

YES! Spas and Shopping.. lol. I like your thinking. :)

- I would say, Kentucky, but I'd not want people to laugh at me. - Definitely not the place to have a convention. I like my state and all, but it's kinda boring. A convention doesn't really have to be just a gathering, it could be held some place public of course like say, Disney Land for those of us that would be a little shy. Then just have a PLAN for the Members that are there, like Meeting up for a day or so.

Krista