Like I said, a poll might be a good first step to assess general interest. Maybe Joe could PM the entire membership (spam us :P ) and pose the question. I have no idea if that's even possible.

GA has approx. 4200 registered members. I have no idea how many guests hang out here regularly. I believe getting 100 people out to the first GA convention would be the best we could hope for. If it went well, it could grow from there. Look at the trekies. Their conventions are huge (at least I believe they are, I don't really follow them). I do know they get TV coverage from time to time.

Wow! 4200 people is alot. We could not only go to the/a moon but colonize it as well! Can't you just see one of Saturn's moons with a big rainbow flag planted in it? :P

Seriously, its not the first time the idea has crossed my mind and I'm sure the same holds true for other members too. It would be fun to meet you all in person.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! 4200 people is alot. We could not only go to the/a moon but colonize it as well! Can't you just see one of Saturn's moons with a big rainbow flag planted in it? :P

Certainly I say this with the utmost amount of respect, but I really don't think a group made up almost entirely of GLBT people is the best to colonize anything, lol at best our colony would likely only hold for one generation ;)

lol....this post is great! That would be awesome, although I do see a huge amount of issues to overcome here....and reasonably this just wouldn't work out for everyone at the same time, same place.

I'm surprised no one has said vegas.....what happens in vegas stays in vegas. Plus that way you can just say you are going to gamble!! Or see a show. Or vacation. Or a conference....cause everyone would rather gamble than actually have a real buisness conference/convention, thats why the go to vegas.

Although....I really do like the idea of just using Joey's house hehehe! Plus I'm pretty much flying through dallas fort worth every 3 or 4 months now :P

Greg

I hadn't read this thread until now - heh, when I saw the title, I had thought it was another Vic virtual convention thread, not a thought for a real get together.

I just got back from a weekend in Vegas of a Sony Online FanFaire - I also play Everquest 2 and finally got to meet a lot of guildmates, some who I've "known" for over five years when we first "met" in Star Wars Galaxies. Meeting everyone face to face for the first time was a FANTASTIC experience - the only downside is that I didn't get to go out with DK to North Carolina where I would have finally been able to meet a great friend I first "met"... um... almost 10 years ago? in The Sims Online. But as the ride back with all Dan's family would have been massively overcramped, as well as to save money, he went without me.

One other thing I wanna point out - is that we did talk about having a mini-meetup in early November when LittleBuddahTW (David) comes to San Francisco. Dan and I were gonna head over at some point, and anyone else who can join us - we figure we can go out to dinner or something together. I think a few other authors live in or near SF, and definately any other board members would be welcome to join us as well (and not sure what is the best time for David's schedule, but hoping we can do it like Saturday night, Nov 3rd - that way people, say, who live in BAKERSFIELD can even drive up and join us).

If anyone else is up for this, I can probably make it. I found a roundtrip flight for $260. The only issue for me would be finding a place to stay as you have to be 21 for most places to check-in to a hotel. Though I wonder if I could convince Jeff to go with and that would solve the problem.

I'd love to, and I would even be happy to share a room or something, since I'm old enough to book rooms and stuff now. The bad part is that trip would cost me at least 500 dollars, and I don't know if I'll have to come back to exams the following monday. Hmmmmm..... *runs to check how much loan money I have left* :P

I'd love to, and I would even be happy to share a room or something, since I'm old enough to book rooms and stuff now. The bad part is that trip would cost me at least 500 dollars, and I don't know if I'll have to come back to exams the following monday. Hmmmmm..... *runs to check how much loan money I have left* :P

:o You mean I might have the chance to share a room with a hot stud like you!? Count me in!!! ;)

One other thing I wanna point out - is that we did talk about having a mini-meetup in early November when LittleBuddahTW (David) comes to San Francisco.

:o I thought it was going to be in October???

:o You mean I might have the chance to share a room with a hot stud like you!? Count me in!!! ;)

lol...same back atcha Joe :D

pssst, Joe snores :lol:

His conference starts Oct 31 and goes through Sat, Nov 3...

As to Myk and JSmith - if you guys need, I can get all of us one big room 0:) But ... may only be able to find rooms with one-bed... :devil:

Ya know - just sayin...

:2thumbs:

BTW, Joey doesn't snore, you're okay. :D

I'd probably go to a UK meet up, maybe. depending on when it was.

I highly doubt I'd manage a US meet up, even if I was here at the time.

• Site Administrator
So, Rigel and I kinda thought that Alaska would make an amazing spot to hold a convention...

I still think Saturn is even better. Transport's the only real issue....

No, no, no! It must be in New Orleans!

They are having killer deals to get the tourist trade and conventions going again and it is New Orleans. The good parts didn't even get wet. [French Quarter]

If the Paris of North America isn't enough for you, the cuisine will certainly win you over.

The Mariott in the French Quarter is the bomb!

young gay people drinking together.

a recipe for success.

Within limits, my friend, because I've seen young people drinking lately (a festival in a seaside resort), and it tended to make the gathering a total failure, unless you measure success by the number of people taken away in ambulances. :lol: