Jump to content
Last Call for Anthology Stories! ×

Valkyrie

Site Administrator
  • Posts

    19,153
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Valkyrie

  1. I thought fairies were more agile than that...
  2. Hey! My dance moves are pretty darn awesome.
  3. How do you know she's not following them? Maybe she has a thyroid condition or other disorder that makes it difficult to lose weight. If you don't trust her recommendations, then find another doctor, but don't judge someone's professional qualifications based solely on their weight, especially if you don't know their circumstances.
  4. It sounds like you're on the right track to going off all your meds I wish you continued success
  5. These are more brownie-like vs the traditional gingerbread men type cookie. I love gingerbread in any form. My grandma had a really good gingerbread 'cake' recipe and it was one of my favorites.
  6. I'm lucky to have a doctor who listens to me. She put me on metformin after my initial diagnosis, but the side effects were so horrible I had to stop taking it. I said I felt I could manage it though lifestyle changes and she agreed with me. I quite happy to prove her right at my second follow up appointment. I've heard so many stories about doctors who just push meds and don't listen to their patients. lol at the impressing your high school crush comment
  7. Why is it necessary to make the comment about the doctor's weight? She's a medical professional giving you medical advice. Her weight has nothing to do with her medical knowledge.
  8. I'll jump on the bandwagon for Thorn's story too. I proofread it, and it's an excellent story. I highly recommend reading it.
  9. Wow! Congrats on the drop in your A1C I was diagnosed this spring and was pretty much blindsided by it. I've dropped my A1C from 7.5 to 5.9 in six months and also lost 40 pounds by returning to eating low carb. I feel awesome, and that's very motivating to me to continue. Thanks for sharing your experience and keep up the awesome work
  10. Everybody has likes and dislikes when it comes to food, and there's nothing wrong with that. I despise peas, but lots of people like them. And tastes change over time too. I don't like foods I used to like and vice versa. I love pasta, ice cream, and sweets. Giving them up was hard, but once I did, I found I crave them less. There's a meme I see frequently on FB that says something to the effect of it being more powerful saying "I don't eat that" vs "I can't eat that". The intimation is that it's giving you the power and choice to eat something or not. Personally, that doesn't work for me. Mainly because I CAN'T eat that. I can't eat sugar or a lot of carbs because it threatens my health. So there's a bright line for me that I won't cross because I don't want to deal with the nasty effects of diabetes. I'm lucky. Mine was caught early and I've reduced my health numbers back to the normal range with diet changes only. I want to keep it that way. Every once in a while someone will say to me "So you can never have pizza or cake or ice cream...etc?" "What about just a little bit. It won't kill you." No, it won't kill me, but I'm not jeopardizing my health and risking my numbers going back up. So I'll make the low carb desserts and eat the low carb ice cream as an occasional treat, and stick with eating meat and veg and cauli crust pizza. I'm satisfied and healthy and very happy eating that way. There's nothing wrong with eating carbs, as long as your body can process them properly. So have a nice piece of sourdough toast for me, with a Ben and Jerry's chaser
  11. Thanks for the kind words. We're glad you're enjoying it
  12. Valkyrie

    Priority Mail

    Thanks so much
  13. Soy is a tough one, since they put it in almost everything. I couldn't eat dairy for over ten years, but am able to tolerate it now. And now I can't eat sugar or carbs, so I totally understand about having to ask what's in your food. It's amazing what they put in things, that you'd never expect.
  14. Thank you for reading and commenting I find most people and places are pretty accommodating when it comes to food sensitivities. Which is really quite nice.
  15. Thanks so much You are so right about there being really good food for diabetics now. I started eating low carb around ten years ago and don't feel deprived at all. One of the things I never really got the hang of (or really liked, to be honest) were the low carb baked goods and desserts. But after trying this, I can see there's been a lot of strides made in that department since I started. So now I'm more open to trying more of them.
  16. Awesome! Let me know how you like it
  17. Insulin Resistance By Valkyrie Sunlight glimmered off the pristine blue water of the mountain lake, so bright I had to shield my eyes with my hand. As I walked along the sandy shore, the cold water lapped around my bare ankles, contrasting with the warmth of the sun like a yin/yang symbol. Rocky peaks covered with a canopy of colorful leaves surrounded me. The bright red and orange foliage gave the impression the trees were on fire as the brilliant light gleamed off them. It was paradis
  18. Valkyrie

    Bus Crazy

    I saw it on FB and it made me think of this story. I do talk to people in elevators and when I travel on planes, but generally they're the ones starting the conversation.
  19. Valkyrie

    Bus Crazy

    Substitute "bus" for "elevator"
  20. I'm drinking some frozen fog
×
×
  • Create New...