Jump to content

BendtedWreath

Author
  • Posts

    1,244
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BendtedWreath

  1. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    Bent Dodgson, safe, comfortable, and evidently bored out his mind, stretched in the utilitarian pressurised cabin secured to the back of the lead…animal. A single hump behind his cabin concealed lithium-ion batteries and all the associated tech. - I wouldn't feel comfortable OR safe if there were massive lithium-ion batteries behind me. “As you say, but the immediate issue is–” Despite trying to focus on Jay's words, when his vid display flashed up an image of the camel immediately behind him, Bent frowned. - Not listening to Jay is going to bite him in the ass later, isn't it? “Nothing much has been made public as yet – they’ve only been out for a couple of weeks – but whatever Boateng’s seen or heard has been enough to scare the shit out of Head Office. She wasn’t talking specifics.” - Oh. So even Jay doesn't know. Bent leaned closer, ignoring Patel’s voice which was again rising in volume. The camel’s… lips – shields for one of the sensor arrays – were moving. Chewing on something? - Hopefully not a person? “You know Boateng’s seriously spooked. We’ve been ordered to shut Delta 1156 down as soon as we stop for the day. It’ll remain behind, locked, when we leave in the morning.” - Why do I get the feeling it's not going to remain locked? The entire suit appeared dead along with its occupant. - That's not good. Had they done the checks? Bent frowned. If they had, how come his own suit had been spread round the dome like an Easter egg hunt? - Sabotage? Camel sabotage? “Missing, sir. All attempts to locate them, and their cargo, have failed.” - Hoofed their humps right outta there. Those camels sure didn't leave any witnesses.
  2. More than one creature is featured in this one, but you're going to have to read to find out.
      • 4
      • Love
  3. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    As snarly and sarcastic as he could be, he didn’t pick on kittens, especially when an angry momma cat was around. “Fine.” - So Noah's the kitten in this case? The next thing you’ll say is that it's Ancient Aliens. - A burst of static came from his phone, and he yanked it away from his ear as fast as he could. - Ouch. Whatever explanation you want to give it, ancient aliens, ghost girlfriend in the machine, or an especially creepy computer virus, there is no need to front with me. - Ghost girlfriend in the machine! “I can’t believe I’m letting a biology major perform an exorcism in my bedroom.” - LMAO! Elliot snorted but didn’t deny it. Noah’s presence filled the room with a warm energy, soft but impossible to ignore. - Sweet. Elliot swallowed hard. “Could be a residual cache.” - Dude, even if it was a residual cache, those exact words are cause for alarm. “I figured I’d make my move before someone realized how smart and sexy you are under that gruff exterior. I like making use of the first mover advantage.” “That’s an aggressive roadmap.” - LMAO! Then, like a final wave goodbye, the light steadied, and the room was just a room again—two boys, a black cat, and a laptop that remembered what mattered. - I really liked that, both the ending and the last line.
  4. This was an engaging read full of suspense, action, and troubled hearts.
      • 3
      • Love
  5. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    Arms stretched out from the vortex, skeletal and jagged, formed from compacted layers of ancient sediment. A torso followed, broad and imposing, clad in the remnants of long-deteriorated robes. The skeletal head emerged last, its eyes glowing with an unnatural amber light, as if lit by the fires of vengeance. - Talk about a creature! Derek's breath caught as the creature, now a young, beautiful, blond man, raised a hand, trembling, and brushed his cheek carefully. "Keldan?" the young man asked in a beautiful voice. - That's an amazing transformation. "You two are telling me that when Derek fell into that burial chamber, you looked at each other and fell madly in love? That's bullshit, plain and simple." - From an outsider's point of view, he's not wrong. "I'm not pushing you aside! You're still my best friend. Can you not be happy for me?" - To be fair, Jordan confessed to him recently, didn't he? As said before, Alrik had an unnatural lover named Keldan. - "unnatural" 🙄 It's plenty natural, just uncommon. The older man didn't look at the acolyte. "We will go to war, and many a good man will die by the machinations of this evil creature." - Oh, shit. "That is what we need to talk about. I'm not. Technically. Alive, I mean." - Ok, so what happens when Derek starts aging? Will Alrik just hunt down his next reincarnation? "You said you love me. Then you and your desire for me are evil, Jordan." As Derek had expected, Jordan's expression changed as if he had slapped him. - Guy's got a point. Magic is a force of nature, neither good nor evil." Jordan shivered. "Like the gods?" Derek nodded. "Yes, Jordan. Like the gods. Nothing to fear but their priests enforcing rules designed to help them maintain power." - Pretty much. Was love enough to justify treason? Was truth enough to justify loss? He opened his eyes. The wine glistened in the candlelight. His hand hovered. - Well, Jordan, it's up to you. My only concern was Keldan/Derek's lifespan in this one. I imagine they could figure it out, though.
  6. BendtedWreath

    Deeper Dive

    Is it safe to assume Patrick's still well-hidden?
  7. BendtedWreath

    Prologue

    I'm not sure if resurrecting Keldan is the right choice here. But as a necromancer, I imagine he's aware of the risks.
  8. As far as creature features go, this one not only features a creature, but one with a great sense of humor!
      • 5
      • Love
      • Like
  9. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    Man. Danger. - Truer words... Over the next few weeks, the alpha continued to venture out on his own to observe the human. His pack started to rebel. They demanded a leader. Things came to a head when he returned one evening, only to find the next oldest male standing in front of the den with his hackles raised in a challenge. - Uh-oh! On one of his hunting forays, he caught a scent that raised his hackles. He didn’t know what it was, only that it was wrong. The smell was rank. It carried a warning. Bad danger. Stay away. - That's not good. Looking down, he panicked at the sight of his furless body. As he flailed on the ground, he yelped as his skin was scratched by twigs and small stones. - Oh no! Hang in there! It took several tries, and the sounds he made were eerily similar to the man's when he was shitting, but at last he was balancing on his back paws. - LMAO! “Growl not right. Howl not right. Being man not right.” - Pretty much. “Okay. I’ll make room in my tent for you.” Sleep with Nick. Yes. Wolf felt his non-existent tail wagging. - LMAO! “What did he say to you?” “He wants me to sniff your ass.” - Pretty much. The beast leaped and its jaws latched onto Nick’s shoulder. - Uh-oh! Nick and Wolf kept silent, but within them, two magnificent creatures bided their time until they could run free amongst the trees and meadows where they belonged. - That's a relief! I really enjoyed reading this one! Farley's hilarious.
  10. This was a truly heartfelt entry. You're going to need a box of tissues for this one.
      • 3
      • Love
  11. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    “I was thinking we could take, wait a second. Have you already named him?” - Yep. He named him Buster. It's over. Both boys began to shout at the bear who stopped and looked curiously at the boys and the barking dog. The bear paused, sniffed the air, then let out a sharp snort. After a tense moment, it turned and lumbered back into the woods, branches snapping under its weight. - Whew! John exhaled shakily. “That pup’s got more courage than most people I know.” - Seconded. Buster barked, licked Jake’s face, then left his lap, jumped out of the car, and ran up the hill, then stood in the middle of the road, barking. - Nice! “I was worried I had lost my best friend when I heard you were in the hospital. I don’t want to lose you.” - My heart. John met his gaze, eyes uncertain but steady. “I like you, Jake. Not just as a friend.” - John, you brave, brave soul. John coughed and waved the smoke from his face as he helped Jake get up. “The kitchen—it’s on fire!” - Jake's certainly had an eventful adolescence! Jake nodded as the tears slipped silently down his cheeks. “I don’t know how to say goodbye.” - And here is where I started bawling. This was an excellent entry.
  12. After reading this, I'd have you ask who the real creatures that were featured were.
      • 3
      • Like
      • Love
  13. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    I have a feeling that while Suzie got a good ending, it was the three overseers in the hereafter that were the real featured creatures here.
  14. This one's as compelling as it is chilling, as it is heartbreaking. Well worth the read.
      • 3
      • Love
  15. BendtedWreath

    Deeper Dive

    “I think your little journal there says plenty.” The agent sat in the opposing chair and leaned forward with intertwined fingers. “Let’s take it from the top, shall we?” - This is why I don't own a journal, traditionally or digitally, let alone voice recordings. Your personal matters can be turned against you. The number of times someone found and read my journal as a kid... The newspaper, however, had more portraits surrounding Patrick’s. Obituary page. He was subject to whatever hell imaginable, and then reported dead. - Oh, shit. He signed up for a sleep study. - Let's not all become paranoid about sleep studies, now. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the moment I was hugged by a shark. - That hit me right in the heart. My best option is, as bad as it sounds, the government. But in order to do that, I need evidence. - Aww, shit. You cleverly left out Pat’s cave location. We’re going to need that. - Don't give it to them! It's a trap! I just happen to be an emotional sap. - Same! “I’m here to help, Manny. Honest! All I need is a bit more information.” - Don't do it, Manny! All I could do was protect him. It was the right thing to do. - 😭 I'm going to have to take a moment. So sad.
  16. Judgmental succulents named Fernando aside, this was a snapshot of an "otthor" working on an anthology submission. Great, great fun!
      • 4
      • Love
  17. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    That last one opened itself. Gerald has become sentient and is staging an intervention. - 🤣Yeah, things are bad when your own equipment is out to get you. And as any writer will tell you, starting is half the battle. The other half is fighting off the existential dread with wine and increasingly creative procrastination methods. - Liquor usually has the opposite effect on me. I end up working on everything, and then it turns out messy and incohesive. Then, off-tune singing happens. He participated in online writing groups where he offered cheerful encouragement to fellow writers, even as he silently tortured himself by following 847 successful otthors on social media. - It's a balancing act, the love of reading stories and the love of sharing stories of your own. Gotta give both sides enough room to breathe. Of a very specific, very gay, very soft-furred creature named Bo... - Surely the softest of furs. 🤣 He dedicates his life to pointing others in the right direction. Pretty fly for a cacti. - 🤣Maybe Fernando's not such a bad succulent, after all? Same with Devon? This was a fun take on the anthology theme!
  18. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this post with all of them listed! It makes it so much easier to go back and remember where I left off reading! Edit: And I just realized my story capped the end, which is ideal, as I was going to respond to anything posted on it last. Awesome.
  19. Skee's gold and blue eyes dilated as he stalked his prey. The song sparrow he called Zipi—short for the annoying "Zipi-zipi-coo-coo-ee-ee-kree" that the jerk always trilled—perched atop a branch of a fallen log. Skee lowered himself further, feeling the dirt and grass beneath his paws. Zipi's time was finally at an end. With a graceful leap, Skee launched himself at the sparrow, hissing as the flap of one of Zipi's tiny wings brushed against the top of his left ear. Skee leaped high ag
  20. Skee is trying to catch a song sparrow that eludes him. However, he is not the only predator in the woods. Will Skee ever catch his prey?
  21. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    @chris191070had some well-formed ideas, the twins being opposites in some ways being one of them. Thanks on behalf of us both!
  22. BendtedWreath

    Chapter 1

    Hmm. Thirds likes redheaded characters. 🤔 I suddenly regret turning one into a bully. It was more that his brother of all people was the one who called him that name he didn’t like. That thought also crossed my mind, yes.🤣 All Chris's ideas, I just tried to flesh them out as best I could. Glad you had fun. @chris191070 chose the cast. I helped provide their speaking lines. 😂 Even I don't know what we'll be working on next time.
  23. Unless the reader is like me, jumping in without reading anything...genre, summary, warnings, or who even wrote it until afterward. The amount of times I've come across main character deaths, gore, and less than consensual scenes... still don't regret reading, though.
  24. Welcome to the forum, @Werewolf1982!
  25. For a wild moment, I was worried about that, too! I didn't know whether Lee was going to stick to the subtle realism or if he'd drop us into an old school "The Thing" movie style creature feature. 🤣
×
×
  • Create New...