Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 212 Words
  • 168 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Ultimate Vehicle of Earthly Bliss - 7. Give me your hand

 .

Gedichte aus „Bleib jung meine Seele“

 

I.

Nun gib mir deine Hand

Wir tragen unsre Liebe

Durch das herbstliche Land.

Unsre Liebe ist jung und frühlingsfein

Und das Land erglüht in rotestem Rot –

Denn jung will selbst der Herbst für unsre Liebe sein.

Sieh! wir der rote Rausch die Wälder durchbraust!

Denkst du, der Bäume adern wissen auch

Wie rauschrot das Blut die Glieder durchsaust?

Alles ist flammend geworden für dich und mich!

Rauschrot das Land – rauschrot das Leben –

Oh du

Rauschrot

Für mich – um dich

Der Tod.

 

         ---------------------------------

 

The Two “Stay Young at Heart, my Psyche” Poems

 

I.

Now give to me your hand

And we’ll usher our loving

Through an autumnal land.

For our love is youthful and fine as spring

And makes the ground blush in its reddest red –

Though Fall wanes, it waxes youthful for our love.

See how crimson ecstasy bursts through the woods!

Think how the veins of the trees also feel

The red-hot blood coursing through every limb.

For all’s become flaming passion for you and me.

Red-hot the countryside – red-hot life –

Oh, you

Red-hot

For me – and Death

Round us.

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

_
 

Copyright © 2024 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a magnificent poem. The first reading left me breathless; the second saw me still searching for words to describe my reaction. The use of season and color to describe the immensity of emotion is intense and effective. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

What @Parker Owens said.

The emotion in this is beautiful and expressed via autumn colors and the bursts of changes taking place in the foliage and countryside.  The beauty of that time of year, combined with love is expressed clearly and artistically. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
AC Benus

Posted (edited)

On 2/25/2024 at 8:23 AM, Parker Owens said:

What a magnificent poem. The first reading left me breathless; the second saw me still searching for words to describe my reaction. The use of season and color to describe the immensity of emotion is intense and effective. 

Thank you, Parker. This poem must have exerted a lot of influence on later Expressionist poets. I say that because the theme of a landscape beating with the red-blooded passions of their human observers comes back time and time again. In a way, Schwabe's poem is similar to those from the Romantic Era, but by her insistence on 'raw emotions', she is adding this former trope of a poetic stroll in nature to the new toolbox of modern poets.

At least that's what I think :)    

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/25/2024 at 9:41 AM, ReaderPaul said:

What @Parker Owens said.

The emotion in this is beautiful and expressed via autumn colors and the bursts of changes taking place in the foliage and countryside.  The beauty of that time of year, combined with love is expressed clearly and artistically. 

Thank you, ReaderPaul. The back and forth of autumn and spring in the poem is one of the most interesting aspects of it, in my opinion. Toni Schwabe seems to be doing it in almost a regular rise and fall, as if creating a current of excitement for the reader in the structure of the poem itself. It's very skillfully done

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..