Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 4,028 Words
  • 3,822 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hidden Ones: The Spotlight - 30. Bump in the Road

------Teddy-----

You ever have a nightmare that’s so terrifying you can feel it. Like literally feel every single second of it. Well that night I had one. Except instead of clowns, or monsters it was Ryder. There he sat atop the music world. Everyone at his beck and call. Then there was me. Cast aside, just watching him. Every now and then he’d snort something or take a pill. The worst part? No matter how much I begged him to stop, no matter how much I screamed, he never even looked my way. I was worthless to him. Nothing but a ghost.

“Theodore.” My mom softly let out, shaking me awake. “Ryder’s on the phone for you.”

“What time is it?” I groggily forced out, trying my hardest to sit up.

“Eleven, you slept in pretty late today, feeling okay?” She asked, reaching for my forehead.

“I’m fine.” I exhaled, as her hand stroked my face. “I just barely slept at Blake’s is all. Where’s the phone?”

She let out a sigh and handed the small portable phone to me. “Teddy?” I heard Ryder ask.

“Y-yeah.” I managed, still trying to pull myself out of my nightmare. “Are you okay?”

“Am I okay?” He giggled. “I’m not the one who slept in. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, I was just up all night at that sleep over.” I smiled, remembering who the real Ryder was. “So you called to check on me?”

“Have you even checked your cellphone?” He asked as I heard laughter echo in the background. “We’re all at Blake’s. We’ve been calling you all morning!” I quickly snapped awake as I saw my phone had at least three missed calls from he, Blake and Liz. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll be at Blake’s in like fifteen. Twenty max!” I yelped, jumping out of bed and shooing my mom out of the room.

“Good.” I could tell by the sound of his voice he was smiling. “I don’t know if I can handle them much longer.” He whispered.

“What are you whispering?” I hear Liz cry out. “I swear to god I,”

“Hurry!” Ryder yelped before hanging up.

I couldn’t help but laugh at their antics. How could I ever think Ryder would end up like that? Sure, he’s starting to smoke weed, but it’s just weed! It’s probably healthier than any other medicine he’s on right? Nightmares are just nightmares, but this, it’s real life. Even if it feels like a dream from time to time!

I haven’t moved as fast as I did that morning in a long time. Maybe it was all the energy from oversleeping, or the idea that Ryder was trapped all alone with Blake and Liz, but I was determined to get there as soon as possible.

“Good morning Mrs. Ramsey.” I smiled as she slowly pulled open the door.

“Look who finally made it to the party.” She greeted, stepping aside so I could come in. “It’s not like you to sleep in.”

I shrugged my shoulders and slowly made my way to the basement door. “I guess I’m getting early senioritis.”

“I hope not, Blake’s been getting enough senioritis for the two of you!” She laughed, waiving for me to go down the stairs. “Go have fun! It’s been a long time since you were all together.”

“All?” I gulped, quickly running down the stairs.

“There he is!” Blake yelped, forcing Ryder off the couch. “Your prince charming has finally made it!”

The smile fell from my face as I saw past Blake’s distraction and noticed Mike sitting idly across the room. “Come sit.” Ryder let out, before I had the chance to say anything. “You had me worried, you know that?”

“Guess that makes us even.” I teased, keeping my eyes on Mike’s.

“I don’t think we’ve all hung out since Ryder left for warped tour.” Liz quickly announced, noticing the tension building in the room. “How was it?”

“I already told,” He began, but quickly caught himself as he caught onto her plan. “It was great.” He shrugged. “Saw a lot of really cool cities, played with a lot of great guys, got to see some of my favorite bands over and over again. Only thing that was missing was Teddy.” He joked beginning to lightly stroke my hand.

“Anything come out of it?” Blake asked, eagerly leaning forward and looking towards Ryder.

As Ryder was about to speak he glanced towards Mike and bit his tongue. “Maybe. You know how the industry can be. Things take,”

“Don’t lie Ry.” I interrupted. “Tell them.” I encouraged, wanting Mike to hear firsthand how much success Ryder was gaining.

“It’s nothing, really.” He shook off. “Besides they have news they want to share anyway.”

“Well now I want to hear your news.” Liz teased, reaching around Blake and grabbing Ryder’s arm. “Spill.”

“It’s nothing, really.” He blushed, but as all our eyes fell on him he finally cracked. “I guess our streaming numbers and sales are going up or whatever, but we got a solid tour offer that we’ve accepted.”

“Oh sweet!” Blake exclaimed with a smile. “Who are you opening for?”

“That’s the thing.” Ryder bashfully began once more. “We’re not so much opening as we are co-headlining.”

“HEADLINING!” Blake shouted at the top of his lungs. “Like you’re own tour?!”

“Co-headlining.” He repeated, blush growing. “It’s us and IPrevail. We Came as Romans, and Assuming We Survive! Have both signed on already, and we’re waiting to hear from This Wild Life, but we’ll see. Plus we’re not even really the headliner, we go on before IPrevail.”

“For now.” I emphasized. “My uncle said the lineup or venue can change depending on the city. So stop selling yourself short, you earned this.”

Ryder nodded his head in acceptance as he pulled out his phone. “I already have the cities we’re hitting if you guys want to see.” He shrugged, easing into the conversation. I watched Mike as one by one he began to list the cities. Mike sat there, eyes drifting as the reality that Ryder Sullivan, the kid he had bullied so hard was beginning to fly off into stardom. “And see we end right over the river in New York.”

“At Terminal Five!” Blake cried with excitement. “You know how many crazy shows I’ve seen there! How are you already big enough to play it?!”

“I bet he’s too big to play it by the end of the tour.” I confidently bragged. “I bet they get so popular he plays the Garden.”

“There’s no way.” Ryder dismissed. “We’re a rock band, we won’t get that popular.”

“The radio begs to differ.” I teased with a proud smile growing.

“Congrats man.” Mike finally spoke looking up at Ryder. “You earned it.”

“Thank you.” Ryder nodded, but I could tell the exchange was nothing but appearances. “But really it’s nothing.” He continued, looking around.

“It’s not nothing, so stop saying that!” I laughed bucking shoulders with him. “My dad said that he and I are going to come out to a few shows on the East coast.”

“Really?” Ryder asked, even more excited than when he was talking about the tour. “Let me know the cities, I’m sure I can swing you some tickets. And you’re all getting tickets to Terminal Five, I just need someone to take my Grandma.” He hinted, looking over at me.

“Of course. I like her more than I like you after all.” I taunted, falling onto him. “I’m pretty sure she’d let me move in tomorrow if I asked.”

“She totally would.” He rolled his eyes, knowing how insane his grandma could get. “You don’t even want to know what she was saying when I got home from the studio yesterday.”

“Yes I do.” I smiled, beginning to poke him. “You need to lay off her, she’s an angel.”

“Okay.” He laughed, trying to fend off my attack. “If she’s such an angel we can switch places.”

“Happily.” I nodded, fully laying into him.

Blake groaned and rolled his eyes. “Get a room!” he teased. “You guys get more and more coupley by the day! How in the world are you a rockstar Ryder?”

“Oh!” Ryder popped up looking over to Blake “Caleb from Beartooth liked Teddy. He said I’m lucky to have him.”

“He did not.” Blake shook his head. “And there’s no way you actually met him.”

“I opened for him for two weeks, why wouldn’t I have met him?” Ryder cackled shaking his head. “I mean , sure, I didn’t actually meet him until a week in, but we all hung out after most shows after. He’s a really nice guy.”

“Take me with you on your next tour. Please.” Blake begged. “I’ll do anything. I’ll be a roadie if I have to.”

“Sorry.” Ryder sighed. “You’ve got High School to finish up. Maybe after that we’ll talk.”

“No you won’t.” Liz spoke up, putting an end to that discussion. “Blake is going to college.”

“Who died and left you in charge.” I smiled, looking over at her.

“Well, that’s actually the news.” She sat up straight as tension began to rise. She let out a long breath and looked towards Blake. “Blake and I, well, we’re dating.”

“No way!” Ryder gasped in fake shock. “The two of you?”

“I’m floored.” I shrugged as Ryder turned to me. “Frankly I feel a little betrayed. It’s just, I’m so surprised I don’t even know how to feel.”

“Alright assholes. We get it, our relationship isn’t as happy as yours.” Blake sighed staring us both down. “You don’t have to ruin the moment.”

“I knew we should’ve told them separately.” Liz rolled her eyes. “I really hate having them together sometimes.”

“You’re telling me.” Blake grumbled. “I don’t know why I even set them up.”

“They make a good couple.” Mike spoke up once more. “You and Liz do too.” I could tell by the tone in his voice he wasn’t sure what to say. It’s like all his friends had moved on and left him behind. I know it’s strange but a part of me is starting to feel bad about it. Like we just up and left him in the dust. “I’m happy for you guys.” He let out standing up. “But I better get going, you know baseball and all that.”

He headed for the stairs but before he could start climbing Ryder leaned forward. “Wait.” He called out. “It’s only eleven thirty. Stay for a while, Teddy just got here.”

“Yeah?” He asked, turning back towards us.

“Yeah.” Ryder answered for me. “Right Teddy?”

“Yeah.” I echoed, not quite understanding what was happening. How could Ryder of all people ask him to stay? He was just holding onto anger about the whole thing a week ago! And now he feels bad? What the hell is going on with him? Ryder quickly raised his eyebrows as our eyes met in an attempt to encourage conversation. “So how’s baseball going?” I asked, as Mike sat across from us.

“Same old same old.” He shrugged, trying to figure out himself what was happening. “How’s lax?”

“Good.” I nodded. “I’ve got a game later today, but other than that,”

“What?!” Ryder interrupted. “Why do you never tell me this stuff?”

“Because I know you. There’s not chance you want to come to our high school’s lacrosse game.” I shook my head, turning back towards him.

“When you’re playing in it I do.” He teased, nudging me with his arm. “Besides it’s not my high school anymore.”

“What do you mean?” Mike asked, looking towards Blake for clarification. Blake shrugged his shoulders and turned towards Ryder waiting for an answer. “Are you like, transferring or something? If it’s about what’s happened the past few years, Teddy and I can,”

“No, it’s nothing like that.” Ryder waived his hand. “It’s the tour. The last show is in September. Then we’ll be maybe recording our second album, maybe touring more, maybe not even a band anymore.”

“You’ll be a band.” I rolled my eyes, knowing failure wasn’t an option.

Ryder shrugged his shoulders and smiled. “We don’t know that. Maybe I’ll be a bum who winds up sleeping on your dorm room floor.”

“You’re obnoxious.” I exhaled, shaking my head.

“You’ll be fine.” Mike forced out, looking over at him. “The guys on the team have even started listening to your music, it gets them amped or whatever. If they’re listening to it, I can’t imagine what people who like rock music are doing.”

Ryder gratefully nodded his head but an awkward silence filled the air. It’s weird to see Mike trying to be nice to Ryder. Maybe he’s realized he was wrong about him, or maybe he’s just trying to get back on my good side. No matter what it is I don’t care, I don’t have time for his games right now. “So,” Blake let out breaking the silence. “Did you get a chance to look over my designs for your first,”

“Album!” Ryder finished for him in a loud voice “No, not yet. I’ll look them over later tonight.”

Blake gave Ryder a weird look as their eyes locked. “Hmm.” I let out, causing Ryder to quickly look back to me. “What are you up to?”

“Nothing.” Ryder shook his head. “Just the whole aesthetics part of the album, you know how it goes. The cover is the most important part.”

“Cover?” I asked looking at him. “You mean the cover you planned out yesterday?”

“Did I say cover?” He nervously fidgeted. “I meant inside part with the book and all.”

“Oh boy.” Liz exhaled, shaking her head. “Someone’s a terrible liar.”

“What’d you design Blake?” I asked looking over to him.

“Nothing.” He shrugged. “Art for the book in the album. It’ll help them save money since they don’t have to pay me.”

“Someone better start telling me the truth.” I warned, looking around the room. “I swear to god I’ll make everything miserable until,”

“For my first tattoo.” Ryder finally confessed worried how I’d take it.

“Tattoo?” I gulped, looking over at him. “What type of tattoo? Where would you get it? This isn’t like a face tattoo right?” I started to nervously ramble. “Oh my god! It’s totally a face tattoo! Blake! How could you encourage a,”

“It is not a face tattoo!” Blake interrupted, throwing me his phone. “That’s what he asked for you nosy son of a bitch.” Ryder nervously looked at me as I pulled the phone up to my face. Blake had drawn an arm with three black bands on it. Two down by the wrist and one up by his bicep. “Feel stupid yet?” Blake asked as my face began to turn red.

“No.” I denied, throwing the phone back over to him. “I was worried about my boyfriend, that was totally rational.”

“Sure.” Blake rolled his eyes.

“So you like it then?” Ryder meekly asked, slowly meeting eyes with me. “Like you’d be cool if I got it?”

“It’s your body.” I shrugged, contradicting the stance I had just taken. “Do what you want. Unless it touches your face. No touching your face.”

“Good.” He smiled with a nod of his head. “I’m going to try and get it when the checks start coming in consistently, but we’ll see.”

“How much do you make from like albums and all anyway?” Liz asked, as her and Blake moved closer and closer together. “I’ve always wondered that.”

“Not much. We’re in a pretty crappy contract right now because it was the only one they could get.” Ryder shrugged trying to work over the numbers. “We get eight percent on the E.P. and album, and we have to split that eight percent across five people. But then there’s royalties but that’s a whole separate beast.”

“So then those royalties have already been coming in.” Blake pried with mischief in his eyes. “How much have you made so far?”

“That is none of your business.” Ryder smirked, holding his head high.

Liz caught her boyfriend’s grin and gently leaned into him. “He gets so much air time he’s probably rolling in money.”

“Spotify gives royalties too right?” Mike asked, trying his hardest to stay in the conversation.

“Yeah but they pay us less than half a cent a play.” Ryder dismissed in a laugh. “Sorry, that came out rude.” He apologized, but I could tell he didn’t care if Mike felt insulted or not. “Look, if you guys have to know I get ninety percent of the royalties on my songs, and we as a band get eighty percent of the touring revenue.”

“Ninety?” Blake repeated in a loud voice. “How did you manage that?”

“No one thought they’d actually be popular songs.” Ryder shrugged. “They’re lucky I even gave the rest of the band, and the label that ten percent.” Blake and Liz smirked at each other as the words fell from his lips. “Wait, that came out cockier than I,”

“No it didn’t.” I interrupted. “It came out just right. You write all of the songs. Hell you record most of them too! They’re yours. So why should they get credit for it.”

Blake nodded his head and let the smile turn genuine. “So you going to learn to produce too?”

“Already starting to learn.” Ryder nodded. “I wanted to produce this album but they wouldn’t let me, so now I’m just learning so I can produce the second one, I mean, if that day comes.”

“It will.” I happily supported, beginning to rub his back.

“So then this is it,” Mike began as his gaze connected with Ryder’s. “You’re a full-fledged rock star now.”

At first Ryder shied away from the stare down, but quickly caught himself and reflected it right back at Mike. “Not fully.” He answered, thinking it over. “I’m on my way though I guess.”

Mike nodded his head but kept his eyes on Ryder. “Everyone at Hudson is going to be talking about you. I know you won’t actually be going there, but you’ll finally be popular like us.”

“Fuck popularity.” Ryder let out, shaking his head. “I don’t care what anyone at that place thinks. As far as I’m concerned they can go fuck themselves.”

“Ryder.” I exhaled, as the venom flowed from his tongue.

“Sorry Teddy, but I’m not sorry.” He denied, keeping his eyes on Mike’s. “You tell everyone at that school to keep my name out of their mouth. I didn’t know any of them, and they sure as hell didn’t know me.”

“That’s big talk from a little guy.” Mike provoked, seeing how far Ryder would take it.

“Is it?” Ryder asked. Tension began to rise as their stare down grew more and more serious. There’s a part of Mike that’s still trying to push Ryder’s buttons, but this isn’t the kid we went to high school with. “I know the type of kids at Hudson. They’re all going to talk like they knew me. Get real.” Ryder shook his head. “The only people that matter to me from there are Teddy, Blake and Liz. The rest can go to hell.”

“So I can go to hell?” Mike smirked, thinking that he was getting to Ryder.

“Honestly?” Ryder asked, as Mike nodded his head, awaiting the answer. “I don’t give a shit what you do, or what happens to you.” He confessed with a shrug. “I’m only nice to you because you were close with Teddy growing up.”

“No.” Mike denied, beginning to take the conversation more serious than Ryder. “I’m nice to you because of Teddy. Teddy might be mad at me right now, but you’re still the one on the outside looking in.” Ryder laughed and looked around waiting for someone to speak up, but as silence hit he shrugged his shoulders once more. “I don’t see what’s so fucking funny.” Mike grumbled as his temper started to get the better of him.

“The fact that you think I’m still on the outside.” Ryder answered, smile proudly on his face. “When’s the last time you hung out with Teddy, or texted Liz.”

“Well, that, that doesn’t matter.” Mike shook his head beginning to grind his teeth.

“I text Liz every day, and hang out with Teddy whenever I can, and of course I send Blake whatever music samples I can because he’s my boy.” Ryder explained, nodding towards Blake before returning his eyes right back towards Mike. “How are you this dense? I was the only one who stopped you from leaving, and you’re really still going to be a dick to me?”

“This is fucking ridiculous.” Mike shook his head. “Someone put him in his place before I do.”

“Yeah?” Ryder laughed, he went to stand but I grabbed onto the top of his pants and yanked him down before he could. “What the fuck are you gonna do?”

“Kick your ass like I have a million times before.”

“Come and get it.” Ryder provoked, as fire engulfed his eyes. “This isn’t high school anymore. I’m done rolling over and giving you your way. I will fuck you up.”

“OH!” Blake yelped jumping up. “Would you both cut it out?”

“No,” Mike shook his head. “If this faggot wants to go,”

This time it was Ryder’s turn to hold me back. “Ryder don’t even waste your time with him.” I yelped, trying to escape his grasp. “I’ll fuck him up myself.”

“What the hell is your problem?” Mike shook his head, not understanding why I would suddenly fly off the handle.

“What’s his problem?” Liz shook her head in disbelief. “Maybe that you’re still bullying Ryder, or that you just used a slur that offends them both.”

“You know what Mike?” Blake asked, walking towards him. “I think it’s time for you to go. I thought a few weeks by yourself would make you realize why we don’t hang out with you anymore, but clearly you’ve only gotten worse. We love having Ryder around, and he is one of us.”

“Fine, you want to replace me with him, go head. But don’t come crying to me when he’s not what you expected.” Mike growled, standing up and heading towards the stairs.

“We never replaced you.” Liz spoke up, staring daggers at him. “There was enough room for the two of you. You just can’t handle not being the center of attention.”

“No, I can’t handle watching this lowlife bring you all down.” Mike shook his head, beginning to climb up the stairs. “You all want to play in your own shit, go ahead.”

“You proud of yourself?” I exhaled, turning towards Ryder as the basement door slammed shut.

“I am.” He nodded, still not backing off the topic. “I’m sick of letting him walk all over me. He provoked me. I’m done letting people get away with that.”

I let out a long groan and turned towards Blake. “See what you did. How could you be so,”

“Stop looking for people to blame.” Liz interrupted, shooting her still angry look at me. “You don’t think this hurts for me and Blake too?”

“Whatever.” I muttered, breaking free of Ryder and getting to my feet. “I’ve got a game to get ready for.”

“I’ll come,” Ryder began, quickly jumping up after me.

“No.” I shot down, heading towards the stairs. “I mean, just relax here for a bit, I’ll see you at the game.”

“Alright.” He exhaled, falling back down onto the couch. “You realize you’re making me third wheel right?”

“You’ll survive.” I grumbled, beginning to climb the stairs.

I’m not mad at Ryder by any means, but this, this, this sucks! I guess as mad as I was at Mike a small piece of me always held onto hope. Hope that he would accept Ryder. Hope that somehow, someway they would both find a way to get along. But now all that hope is gone. Ryder hates Mike just as much as Mike hates Ryder. And that’s the way it’ll always be.

2017, Ace
  • Like 41
  • Love 11
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This has been building up for years. Things had gotten much worse recently. The final break has finally happened.

 

Will Mike cause some sort of mischief now?

Link to comment

Part of me wants to feel bad for Mike, but he has made his choice. I worry that he might still come between Teddy and Ryder.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

He's trying so hard to have his cake and eat it too, but sometimes it's just not possible. As a childhood friend you would think Mike would behave better and be more sensitive towards Teddy but nope. Happy for Liz and Blake..knew they would get there hehe. I hope Teddy isn't too hurt, losing a friend like that is more closer to the feeling of losing a family member. Ryder is turning into a total bada**....Love It! At least at this level.Thanks for the update. Cheers!😁

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Mike is still an idiot. I feel bad about Teddy, he is not mad with Ryder, he is just sad for losing a friend, I think he needs to talk/rant with someone outside their group. I mean I love Ryder, Blake and Liz, but maybe he should tell what happen to someone else, it might help him dealing with it. Maybe some of his lax buddies, they were not close friends, but some seem to care more than he previously thought. With his strong personality, Mike occupied all space for preppy jocks, maybe he needs now to interact with other friends as well.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Love the chapter. Mike sounds so tough and secure but he has less self worth than Ryder did when he was being bullied. Mike may eventually figure it out but then again he may not.  Bullies often never figure it out

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I look at it this way, Mike is an insecure ass that thinks he is better than Ryder because he is captain of the baseball team and he has bullied Ryder for years and now that Ryder’s career is taking off Mike is on the outside looking in. Mike is so full of himself he can’t even see that he’s been destroying his friendship with not only Teddy but Blake, Liz and Ryder as well. Mike needs to realize that he doesn’t have a say in what happens to Ryder. Mike’s going to start feeling that he screwed up pretty bad this time and he lost three great friends he’s had since kindergarten. I’m really glad that Ryder is getting this opportunity to be coheadliners with another band, Messiah was supposed to be opening for a couple of other bands but because of his song getting lots of airtime with the pop music station and that’s what has made the opportunity to coheadline for another popular band. Great chapter and story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..