Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,359 Words
  • 3,214 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box of Crackers - 15. Chapter 15

We left and took a leisure stroll to Luigi’s. We got there early, this gave me time to chat with Jimmy and to get my kiss. I thought if Donnie and Angela did get married confusion would really reign in my family. Mom and Dad would have to admit Angela, Jimmy sister, as part of the family or Donnie will be out of the family, what a screwed up family.

It was sad when Evie and her family had to leave but Don was happy. He had agreed to several hunting trips, he was an avid hunter. Donnie was sad to go because of leaving Angela, I did see them kissing. We agreed that we’d get together this summer.

The end of the school term arrived and the boys had done extremely well. Even Alex had settled down and was really getting into school programs. He signed up for every sport program he could, he kept his grades up. That was our agreement, sports were second to grades.

Jimmy and I enjoyed going to the boys sport programs. In a way, I think we were living our youth through them, when they won we were excited and when they lost we were looking at plays we could praise them on. As always, we’d stop at Luigi’s and sometimes we’d take the team. Poor Luigi, when the boys and the team came in, it was a mad house. Pizza after Pizza came out of the kitchen, the waitresses were constantly filling soda glasses. I insisted everything to be paid and nothing free. Business was business, the boys needed to understand that.

     

“Jimmy, what are we going to do this summer? We need to take a vacation, somewhere we can relax and the boys can have fun”

“We could take them to the ocean or lake. I know there are several within reasonable driving range.”

“Did you ever go on vacation with your family?”

“Yes, it was a mixed vacation. We had to spend one week with family and then one week at a beach or lake.”

“Should we send the boys to summer camp? They have all kind of camps, football, baseball, basketball and even tech camps, what do you think?”

“We can do that and still have a family vacation. I think it would be good for the boys to get away. I remember sitting around campfires when the family went camping.”

“We could do that, but if we send the boys to camp, then we should do something else.”

“Why don’t we let the boys plan a family vacation.”

“That’s a good idea, let’s see what they come up with.”

At dinner that night we talked about the summer and what we could do. Jimmy told them that we wanted them to come up with ideas for a family vacation. That got every one excited, the boys couldn’t stop talking and the ideas were flowing, some reasonable and some way out there in left field. Jimmy and I just smiled at each other.

It was a week after the boys started to plan the family vacation, when Jimmy and I were asked to sit down with them. They said that they had planned the perfect family vacation. Alex took the lead, “We thought that a perfect family vacation should be fun and entertaining. So we think we should drive to Orlando, Florida, and visit Disney World. We can stop along the way and visit historical sights.”

“Well, that’s a possibility, but we may not have time to do all of that. I suggest you get a map and lay out a route with stops, just remember, we can’t drive all day and all night. So let’s say you plan on driving eight hours a day at a speed that will cover fifty miles in one hour. Let us know when you have it planned and be sure to include stopping for food and any sight seeing.”

The boys looked at each other, you could almost see the wheels in their heads turning. Jimmy smiled, “That sounds like a good idea. If they do the planning then it’ ll be their contribution to the family vacation. Dad and Mom always planned our vacation and we just went along with it, the trips to Italy where always our favorite.”

“Maybe when the boys are a little older, we could go to Italy.” Jimmy just smiled.

    

One week before school was out for the summer, Bobby, Butch and Alex asked to have a family meeting. That night after dinner, we all sat around the dining room table. “Boys, you asked for a family meeting.”

“Dad, we have planned a trip but it’ll take sixteen days instead of fourteen. If we leave on a Friday and arrive back on a Monday, we can do the trip and get to see all of the places we’d like to see.”

“I think that’s a possibility. Jimmy, do you have anything you want to add.”

“No, I agree with you.”

“Alex, how far have you gotten on getting your driving license?”

“I have passed the written exam but that was back home. I’d probably have to take it again here.”

“I’ll stop and pick up an exam book. As soon as you have read it, let me know and we’ll go and get your learners permit. With that and one of us sitting in the front seat, you’ll be able to drive some of the time. Then we could extend our driving time per day. That’ll allow us to spend a few hours longer at the stops that you have marked on the map. Looks like you guys have done a good job. Now you need to assign jobs, one needs to mark the map to keep track if we are on schedule or not, one of you need to take pictures and one of you need to write up a little paragraph on the various places we stop.”

The boys were happy and quite anxious to get going. I think their suitcases were pack a week before the day of the trip. Alex did have to take the written part of his driving license again and passed. He now had his temporary license which allowed him to drive when a licensed driver was in the car.

Evie called to wish us a good trip. “We’re quite excited about taking this trip. I’m hoping that we’ll bond with this trip and deepen our feelings of a family. Have you heard anything from Paul concerning Alex?”

“No, from what I gather he has disowned him. How did we get such a screwed up family?”

“I don’t know. Paul always was a hard head. I guess he takes after mom and dad. How did we miss out?”

“You know even in a barrel of rotten apples there are a few good ones.”

We chuckled and I promise to send pictures. I enjoy talking to Evie even though she is twelve years older than me, we were always close.

The night before we were to leave, the boys couldn’t sleep. I knew that this was a big deal for Bobby and Butch but I thought surely Paul had taken the family on a trip. But by the way Alex was acting, he obviously didn’t.

“OK boys, load up the boot of the car, take your trip material and get in. Jimmy and I will join you in just a minute. Jimmy bring the cooler and I’ll get the snack bag.” Jimmy put the cooler on the floor in the front and I handed the snack bag to the boys. Smiling we left on our family trip. I was just as excited as the boys, I couldn’t stop smiling and every time I looked at Jimmy, he was smiling as well.

The excitement was riding high. I knew Jimmy had gone on trips with his family but for me this was my first family trip ever. I think I was as excited as the kids. The mood on the car was an excited expectation of having a good time, as a family.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 28
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



11 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

I'll promise to keep the secret if you promise to keep on writing great stories, is it a deal? 😀

I have a few in the que

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

And like a few others who have commented, I have read all 15 chapters today - couldn't put it down!  Great story.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I expect the road trip to be awesome and entertaining, great bonding experience

Yes and for Elly, it was an eye opener.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

And like a few others who have commented, I have read all 15 chapters today - couldn't put it down!  Great story.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed my writing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I expect the road trip to be awesome and entertaining, great bonding experience

For Butch, er Elly, this was his first and for him everything was exciting. As usual, with one excited they all soon became excited 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, pvtguy said:

And like a few others who have commented, I have read all 15 chapters today - couldn't put it down!  Great story.

I'm glad you have liked my story

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 9/5/2020 at 4:25 PM, Mancunian said:

With every chapter this story gets better and increases the joy of reading it. Thank you I'm looking forward to more of the story.

Man do I love this story....so much caring, and love....One of the best on GA.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, pvtguy said:

Having lived in Orlando for nearly half my life now, Disney is definitely a magical place - too bad COVID is limiting that experience now.  There are a lot of other experiences here that cater to all sorts of tastes!  Yes...I do love it!

Ive been to Disney 18 times and plan on more visits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, pondman said:

Man do I love this story....so much caring, and love....One of the best on GA.

Thanks

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, pondman said:

Ive been to Disney 18 times and plan on more visits.

It has been a while since I was there, I highly recommend that place to anyone with children. Even the adults have fun there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Excellent chapter! A road trip is a great way to build bonds within a family, however, close quarters, fatigue and disagreements can fracture the best laid plans. I’m certain that Pete and Jimmy will set the tone and intervene if and where necessary. I’ve never heard of the kids planning an entire trip on their own before. I am curious to see how this works out. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..